Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has found a good book on Amazon or anywhere that discusses song composition in detail that's fairly cheap/ if someone wants to discuss some tricks here?

I'm not really talking about a book that's going to tell me how to write progressions in one key; I can do that crap in my sleep (as I'm sure just about any of you can). What I'm really looking for is a guide that will help me find creative ways to modulate to other keys using chord progressions. I know a few tricks but most often if I happen to change key, it's because I introduced the non-harmonic tone from the new key in a lead line I did. I feel that if I could control the music via the chords better, I'd be able to get a better match with the leads I write and improve the depth of my music.

Anyways, the tricks I know right now usually involve the weirder extended chords (like maj13#11 that we know has a NH tone in it), or sus2sus4 or 7sus4 chords (since they're so diverse in the major scale seeing as they don't have 3rds). Also, the method I most often use when doing chords is diatonic common chord modulation, so some other techniques would be cool if you guys wanna throw em down. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Quote by Concrete_Breeze
secondary dominance. google it.

Haha it's so funny that you'd mention that because I ran into Secondary dominance out of chance like ten minutes after I posted this. These do seem like a really cool and easy way to get out of the box. This is where you use a dominant chord based out of another key, and it is notated like "V/ii", which is saying "use the dominant chord based off the root of the second".

The one thing I've had trouble getting is why is the dominant of the minor chords based off the major scale of the same tone? Like, if I was playing C major, and I used a "V/ii", I'd be playing the dominant of the A minor. Now, every guide I've seen uses E7, which is the dominant from the A major scale, yet we're using a minor chord. Wikipedia dropped this bomb on me to explain it and confused me:

Quote by Wikipedia
Secondary dominants are normally major chords, not minor; thus, the secondary dominant of VI in C major is considered to be E major, not E minor. This accords with the fact that in a minor key, it is normally the dominant major chord, not the dominant minor, that might serve the function of dominant harmony.

I get what the issue is, because V/vi would be the same as V/I if you did it the way I was talking about, but the explanation they gave doesn't make sense to me... what the hell is a dominant minor? is that the same as a mmaj7?
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
I would attempt to explain this, but my understanding of secondary dominants is limited and I would not be the best person to explain this.

I would be glad to have anyone else explain this so as to help both TS and me understand this better.
Harmony and Voice Leading by Aldwell and Schacter. It's a book on writing melodies and stuff for different voices, but it also directly covers chords, substituting, modulation, and etc.

I provide a link to a PDF in a second. It a pretty extensive music theory book. And that's an understatement. I'm not even 1/4 through the book and I've learned ALOT.

EDIT:

**link removed**

Also, if you want to buy an actual copy, it can cost anywhere from 50 - 100$. It's about 600 pages, and used for some music colleges also.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Dregen
Harmony and Voice Leading by Aldwell and Schacter. It's a book on writing melodies and stuff for different voices, but it also directly covers chords, substituting, modulation, and etc.

I provide a link to a PDF in a second. It a pretty extensive music theory book. And that's an understatement. I'm not even 1/4 through the book and I've learned ALOT.

EDIT:

**link removed**

Thank Archeo Avis, he provided the book for me.

Also, if you want to buy an actual copy, it can cost anywhere from 50 - 100$. It's about 600 pages, and used for some music colleges also.

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU (and, by proxy, I love you too Archeo Avis). I'm looking forward to getting into this while I work tonight, since I have 8 hours to do whatever the hell I feel like 6 nights a week. Thanks a million million (that's a billion) times.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Are you seriously reporting him for sharing knowledge? Although it is against copyright law I do fully appreciate the bountiful amount of knowledge you are bestowing upon those of us who are unable to find/afford good theory books.

Thank you Dregen!
Quote by Fred Durst
That book is like 150 dollars, this is a serious infraction and I will NOT STAND FOR IT

Well, at least if I get banned I helped somebody. I apologize for making you angry though. I was just trying to help people. I can completely understand your viewpoint, especially after going through the book. It's just that some people don't know if they want to pay 150$ for a book they don't know is good or not; I'm giving them that decision. If it's good they should buy it as soon as possible.

I was also planning on buying it myself very soon, but like just about everyone here, I'm just a little short on money. I have a couple of computers to fix, and once I got done with those buying that book was on top of my priority list.

I spend more time than I'd like on UG anyways, so at least it'll turn out for the better if I do get banned.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 17, 2009,
Providing others with copyrighted content is illegal and against the rules of the forum.
The merits and pitfalls of whether we *should* or *should not* follow existing copyright legislation are beyond the scope of this thread.

Appropriate action has been taken.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.