Hi, i'm looking at a Orange Rocker 30 mainly for its blues and rock sound, however i would also like to be able to play 80's metal, think Van Halen, Guns N Roses and Bon Jovi.

Ideally i'd like to be able to get this from just the amp, however if it not capable does anyone have any suggestions of od's that would take me there.

Thanks
Jay
It may be too dark for those bands.

JCM800 used? That's basically the epitome of an 80s hard rock amp.
Quote by GNRjungle87
It may be too dark for those bands.

JCM800 used? That's basically the epitome of an 80s hard rock amp.

A JCM800 is probably one of the best amps you can get for this. Slash used JCM800's, and other bands around that era most likely used it aswell.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
It was common for those bands to use Marshall amps. Not sure about Bon Jovi though.
There be no shelter here.
Thanks, i'll definatley look into it.

I guess i sorta want a screaming lead type sound if you get what i mean.
Well I have played an Orange Rocker 30, and it probably would get you these sounds yes, and also has fantastic cleans and works well for bluesy stuff. However, for specifically those bands you suggested, a Marshall would probably be best.
Rockerverb 50?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Rockerverb 50 is a better choice if you want an Orange, and a JCM 800 is another good option, I know EVH used them along with his plexi in the 80s.
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
jcm800 2005 (50w 2channels and reverb) on the bay now £650 buy it now.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
It won't do the sizzle that those tones require IMO. I'd personally run a plexi clone wide open for those tones, but that's just me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
No, not at all. The express is gonna sound like a mesa, a mesa with no balls, but a mesa nonetheless. Output tubes are not the main factor in an amps tone.
To be honest i find it does those kind of tones very well, i play a lot of guns and roses on mine and although it is a little dark it's still a very nice amp. It won't really give you what i'd call a screaming lead tone on its own though
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Kevin Saale
No, not at all. The express is gonna sound like a mesa, a mesa with no balls, but a mesa nonetheless. Output tubes are not the main factor in an amps tone.

Thanks.

Could a tiny terror? or tiny terror plus a pedal?
Quote by Bossman123
To be honest i find it does those kind of tones very well, i play a lot of guns and roses on mine and although it is a little dark it's still a very nice amp. It won't really give you what i'd call a screaming lead tone on its own though

I guess it's just a matter of how close you want to get. To me the top end sizzle you hear in all those tones is what makes those tones

Quote by KBaird
Thanks.

Could a tiny terror? or tiny terror plus a pedal?

Yeah, it'd work. Not a big fan of the tiny terror though. Played the marshall Haze the other day (15 watt) thought it was much, much nicer sounding than the TT. Played it through a mesa cab and the stock cab and I thought both sound good with the mesa cab being a bit more open and clearer sounding.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Yeah, it'd work. Not a big fan of the tiny terror though. Played the marshall Haze the other day (15 watt) thought it was much, much nicer sounding than the TT. Played it through a mesa cab and the stock cab and I thought both sound good with the mesa cab being a bit more open and clearer sounding.

Thank you, haze didn't sound digital at all?
So with a v30 would it be a descent amp?
Quote by KBaird
Thank you, haze didn't sound digital at all?
So with a v30 would it be a descent amp?

Stop reading into the idiot hype on these boards. Try the effects, if you like em, use em, if not skip them. I have no need for effects so I didn't even bother testing them on the amp.
Thanks for all the help, i am kinda hoping to get a orange as i have an orange cab however the jcm 800 does seem pretty cool.

I'm going to have to give them all a blast and if its close enough for rock n roll i'll get it!

But what about these Blackstar Series Ones i've heard their like an old marshal plus some.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Well I tried the Haze for along time. I say stay CLEAR of the cab. The cab is awful. It sounded ok at first, but after I plugged it into a 425 (with Greenbacks) and then back it was just awful. No definition and a very boxy tone. But with a good cab? Then Haze is a killer 80's amp! Some poeple complain about the effects sounding sterile. They kind of do, but for 80's stuff they have that ultra clean tone from early digital effects (that sounds well, rather sterile) that was all the craze in the 80's. So for what you play it's a good choice with a nice cab.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well I tried the Haze for along time. I say stay CLEAR of the cab. The cab is awful. It sounded ok at first, but after I plugged it into a 425 (with Greenbacks) and then back it was just awful. No definition and a very boxy tone. But with a good cab? Then Haze is a killer 80's amp! Some poeple complain about the effects sounding sterile. They kind of do, but for 80's stuff they have that ultra clean tone from early digital effects (that sounds well, rather sterile) that was all the craze in the 80's. So for what you play it's a good choice with a nice cab.

Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't get the cab considering the price, just saying I didn't think it was awful.

I have a hard time understanding how this amp gets so much hate. I'm not saying everyone's gonna like it, but to say it's flat out bad or an MG with tubes seems dramatic to me. It's certainly no worse than the other asian made british 15 watt tube amp out there.
I haven't played the 15 watt version of the Haze but the 40 watt one I played did not sound good at all. The cleans were pretty good, nice and punchy but the drive sounded very bland. Didn't even bother with the fx. But I may have to try the 15 watt version out, you have a pretty good ear for tone so I will prolly check one out.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Kevin Saale
Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't get the cab considering the price, just saying I didn't think it was awful.

I have a hard time understanding how this amp gets so much hate. I'm not saying everyone's gonna like it, but to say it's flat out bad or an MG with tubes seems dramatic to me. It's certainly no worse than the other asian made british 15 watt tube amp out there.

Exactly. It's pretty decent IMO. A lot of it stems form the GODAWFUL Marshall demo... Problem is Chris George doesn't have a single clue about tone and all his demos come out crap...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Exactly. It's pretty decent IMO. A lot of it stems form the GODAWFUL Marshall demo... Problem is Chris George doesn't have a single clue about tone and all his demos come out crap...

Yeah, luckily I never heard any demos of it, so I went in with a clean slate. I heard all the bad talk it was getting on the boards, but I tend to ignore what most people have to say and take the words of people I do trust with a grain of salt.