My band recently started gigging and we mostly play originals.
We'd like to find out which of our songs are best received by the crowd so we can arrange and modify our setlist.
Maybe hand out some kind kind of ênquette at the starts of the gig, or just ask random people who attended the gig. most might not remember so maybe station friends to pay attention to it?
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Just play a few more gigs.
The first gig my band played was at a battle of the bands with over 400 people and we got everyone really fired up but that's only because we played covers.
The next two gigs were originals so people weren't as into it.
But once they've established more familiarity and we've established more stage presence and rep
we blew their f*cking minds.
The bands that play before us get boo'd
When we go up we're all over the place jumping on the monitors, headbanging, windmilling
crowd is singing along.
stage diving maniacs.
crazy circle pit.
at each show a couple dozen of our friends end up bloody.
BONDED BY BLOOD, yo!
So my best advice for you is to just keep playing and it will come naturally.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
The first gig my band played was at a battle of the bands with over 400 people and we got everyone really fired up but that's only because we played covers.
But once they've established more familiarity and we've established more stage presence and rep
When we go up we're all over the place jumping on the monitors, headbanging, windmilling
crowd is singing along.
stage diving maniacs.
crazy circle pit.
BONDED BY BLOOD, yo!

What kind of music do you guys play? Where I live the bands most young people listen to are punk or metal. Which usually (not saying all metal and punk bands do) sound similar so the fans won't be able to tell individual songs. If you guys play metal, the songs you guys play might not be as varying and memorable as other genres.

Try recording a few songs, check which ones get the most plays. Just ask a few friends that go to your shows.
Quote by JacobTheMe
What kind of music do you guys play? Where I live the bands most young people listen to are punk or metal. Which usually (not saying all metal and punk bands do) sound similar so the fans won't be able to tell individual songs. If you guys play metal, the songs you guys play might not be as varying and memorable as other genres.

Try recording a few songs, check which ones get the most plays. Just ask a few friends that go to your shows.

Argh, I reckon they be playing the wrong type of metal then.
Just approach people afterwards and say, "Hey, what'd you think of our set?"
***Short Sig***
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
crowd is singing along.
stage diving maniacs.
crazy circle pit.
BONDED BY BLOOD, yo!

dude i gotta go to one of your gigs then

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
You can tell how well the crowd likes it based on how loud they are after the song is over, or how much they move around during the song - little things like that can tell you a lot. But you can play a great song perfectly and still get a poor response if you have bad stage presence, so make sure you have good stage presence too.
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']Just approach people afterwards and say, "Hey, what'd you think of our set?"

Yep that's the way. You should hang around the bar after the set is finished anyway to talk to the manager/promoter. Asking the crowd is good, and if you ask the manager or promoter that helps a lot too because they'd see bands night after night and can probably give you some tips.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Learning to read an audience takes a few gigs. If you can stop thinking about what you're doing so much, then watch them. It sounds easy, but it isn't for many. You'll learn the difference between "polite" applause, and people really getting into it.

We played mostly what i call clubs, which were dance oriented. We judged how we were doing, by how many booties we got bouncing. The more you do it the easier it gets to read them.
Not to sound cliche', but you will know when you know. Originals are hard to guage. One of the Local bands around here is a Prog group that has some odd ball stuff, but it all sounds the same, and that gets old after a while. So corwds just dont jump around and get into it as often.

When we played our last gig it was small, and there werent that many people floating around the bar, but we had a ball, and the crowd got into it.

Never, ever, under any circumstances forget the power of stage presence. That carries a band so much farther than its material in some cases. Ive seen guys shred the neck like eric johnson, but they looked like bums and stood as still as a tree trunk. Emotion counts, and that's a weapon that anyone can use.

As for what they like, when they know it by name and request it, youll have your answer. Introduce your originals, tell a story about how they were written, a short one, and make it count.

Sing and play from the heart, and youll win the crowd.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
You know you're doing well when you jump past the band you're opening for. On occasion, it was hard to follow us. Bands with bigger fan bases than us didn't see us as much of a threat, but after we filled the dance floor, and it took 15 mins to reset for them, the momentum was lost. They had to regain the level we were at, and couldn't. That's how you go up the ladder. The band that follows you hates you, but next time they're opening for you. So it goes, band Darwinism: The better band gets the better gig the next time around.

Warning: If you mess with a headliner's clout(a rare occurrence)you're in dangerous territory. That's a Master Class, and I failed. There are some people you can't afford to cross, even if it was not intentional.
What all these guys said.

I'd just like to add. When we first started playing (all originals btw), people just stood there. The last time we played near our hometown, they were all screaming for us to play a certain song. I mean before we even got into our set. i could hear them screaming even with my in ears in. It wasnt hard to tell which song was their favorite. Strangely enough, we hated the song and had struck it from our set list. But they for some reason loved it.

It just takes time and consistency.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Getting crowd feedback is easy.

If your band is on Myspace, Bebo, or some other social networking site, give out your URL. Ask them to review the gig, but also, go down into the crowd afterwards, and talk to people. People will look at you in a more positive light if you show that you care about the audience.
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix