Recently, my uncle gave me one of his old 1989 Fender Telecasters. It played great and sounded amazing through my Vox amp, but about a month ago, it started to sound wierd. I took it to a tech and he tuned up the electronics. The tone sounds a little clearer but a major problem still remains. Whenever I play, it seems like the pickups have lost strength or something. I dont get as much "punch" or drive, even when my amp is maxed out, and the sustain is minimal. It's harder to do hammer-ons and pull-offs because it seems like the pickups arent 'picking-up' the vibration of the strings. The notes just dont last as long. It's still the same after I took it to the tech. The only thing I can think of is that the pickups have gone bad, since I'm sure the tech checked out the pots and wiring when I took it in. I miss my rockin' guitar of old!! Any help would be appreciated.
1979 Fender Telecaster
Vox Valvetronix 30w
Dunlop Wah
Digitech Flanger
Brian May Red Special Pedal
have you tried other guitar on your amp? maybe your amp has the problem? or cables?.. if not, you could always buy a new set of pup.. or have the stock pup rewound..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
try a different cable and make sure the two wires are still connected properly to the guitar's output jack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
As above, try a diff cable and amp and if it's still not working then look at some new pups.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
When it's not plugged in, do you notice a decrease in sustain?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Well this is probably why your Uncle gave it to you.

Is this Tele a 89 or a 79? Cause what your saying and what your sig says, is two different things.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
check your cables etc.
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Last edited by Gryphon999 at Aug 16, 2009,
check your cables and amp with another guitar, if possible, but that's a textbook case of pickups going bad.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Well this is probably why your Uncle gave it to you.

Is this Tele a 89 or a 79? Cause what your saying and what your sig says, is two different things.

i was thinking the same thing
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"