My friend is getting his first guitar and I myself dont know much about guitars yet so I need your help guys.

His setup that he wants is either:

Epiphone Les Paul Special II with Behringer V-Tone GM108 15w
OR
Epiphone Les Paul Special II with Marshall MG4 Series MG10 10w

So which one is better? (these are his options because hes on a tight budget)
Last edited by Conviktion at Aug 16, 2009,
EDIT: just get the Epiphone Les Paul Special II starter pack, it's about 250 and has an starter amp. also, he doesn't need a modeling amp if he's just starting out, all you need is distortion...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Aug 16, 2009,
Oh and btw, i hope he has some money to spend because that's not gonna be cheap at all.
tell him to replace the amp with a pocket pod (cheapest) or pod 2.0, the modeling isn't terrible and allows you to discover the tones you like and want to improve. the two options there are terrible

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by CraigBrannon
Oh and btw, i hope he has some money to spend because that's not gonna be cheap at all.

HAHAHA!

Oh, and go w/ the Behringer over the Marshall, MG's suck.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by CraigBrannon

You're a moron. Or you're just really bad at being sarcastic. Either way, please stop posting.
yea i know theyre both bad but its the best he can get becaue of his budget and he chose those 2 has his options because thats about all he can afford.
Quote by JagerSlushy
HAHAHA!

Oh, and go w/ the Behringer over the Marshall, MG's suck.

Have you even tried the new MG's? Nothing special at all but they certainly have removed themselves from the terrible tone they had before. Even the overdrive has improved, and it certainly isn't 'crushing' anymore. If you're going to hate, at least give a reason. "MG's suck" seems like an attempt to fit in with the rest of UG.

Personally I'd go with the Behringer over all though TS, anything specific your friend might want, like a certain tone for a certain genre, yada yada.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Honestly I know people are gonna be like "NO DON'T TELL HIM TO GET A SPIDER!!!" but for the price the 15W spider is worth the money. It's pretty much the most affordable modelling amp. ALthough it won't sound good it will at least give some range in sounds and honestly, spider > crappy non modeling cheap ss amps.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by gstacey1 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by ZeroCS
Have you even tried the new MG's? Nothing special at all but they certainly have removed themselves from the terrible tone they had before. Even the overdrive has improved, and it certainly isn't 'crushing' anymore. If you're going to hate, at least give a reason. "MG's suck" seems like an attempt to fit in with the rest of UG.

Personally I'd go with the Behringer over all though TS, anything specific your friend might want, like a certain tone for a certain genre, yada yada.

yea he likes the same music as me....basically breaking benjamin and three days grace
May I suggest something like a Roland Micro Cube for the amp. Would be a better bet.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by SPBY
EDIT: just get the Epiphone Les Paul Special II starter pack, it's about 250 and has an starter amp. also, he doesn't need a modeling amp if he's just starting out, all you need is distortion...

I already told him about the starter pack but hes a stubborn SOB lol...he wants clean and distortion.

The Roland Micro Cube is out of his budget.
Last edited by Conviktion at Aug 16, 2009,
yeah MGs suck.. but Behringer?.. c'mon.. the Marshall still has more juice.. i'd go for the Marshall.. i think he would do better with a Vox Pathfinder 15R.. better bang for the buck.. very usable and good..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Ok guys he told me the most he can spend is $250 so basically its between the 2 options I posted originally because the guitar is already $170.
He can't consider the Vox or Roland.
What about LP Special II and a Vypyr or Cube?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
my first amp was the Behringer GM108. At the time I thought it was awesome cuz I didn't have the ear for tone yet, I'd only played acoustic for about 8 months before I got my first electric.

Now that I've got a better ear I hate that damn behringer cuz I have hell trying to get a decent tone out of it.

but really I don't know how that marshal sounds as I've never played it so I can't honestly tell you it's better.
idk, just spit balling here:

Fender frontman 15G; Hiwatt G15; Orange CR10

altough personally, as someone mentioned somewhere above me, get something like a pocket pod. It would be his best bet, it would satisfy him until he saves enough money for a descent amp.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
get the behringer. i got one (upgaded to a tube amp though) at it wasnt too bad, distortion is alright, and with a boost you can get "br00talz" if you want it. i havent tried the new MGs yet, so i couldnt say. can he try them out first?
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
He went to Guitar Center and tried them both out but because hes a beginner they both sound the same to him lol