Can I run my GK Backline 112 Combo through a bass cabinet?
Or do I need a head?
You take various sized pots and pans, 2 wooden spatulas, sit yourself down on the ground, arrange said pots and pans around you, put on some music, and become the best drummer your kitchen has ever seen.
it depends.

Does your combo have a speaker/line out?

EDIT

According to a quick google search. The answer is no
Last edited by jimmy_neutron at Aug 16, 2009,
I don't have the amp with me..
But If your asking if it has an extra speaker input, I don't think so.
But it does have this cable that runs from the speaker in the combo amp, into the EQ panel. When it's unplugged, there is no sound coming from the speaker in the amp.
Could I just run that cable into a cabinet?

(Sorry about my lack of information or technical terms. I'm a guitar player, no a bass player, haha. But our bass player uses my bass amp and it needs to be louder for bigger gigs.)
You take various sized pots and pans, 2 wooden spatulas, sit yourself down on the ground, arrange said pots and pans around you, put on some music, and become the best drummer your kitchen has ever seen.
looking at pics online, in theory you should be able to buy a cabinet, and connect it to the amp using a speaker cable...

But im not 100% sure
Alright, thanks a lot!
You really helped me out!
Even if you do get another cabinet, imo it will be like dressing mutton as lamb. 100watts for "bigger" gigs, is never ,ever going to be sufficiently loud enough to keep up with the rest of the band, without micing up.

I would suggest instructing your bassist to go out and buy a bigger amp. Especially if he isnt even using his one in the first place.
He could always get a nice cab to go with it. Then later on buy a different head. Then after that add a second cab. That's the good thing about the head/cab setup imo. it's modular. you can keep adding or switch things out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
^^ That would be a far better idea. But if he blows all his money on a nice cab now, and cant afford a head, then he will still have the volume problem until he gets the head.

Maybe trawl through craigslist. See if you cant find a good deal on head+cab. Or depending on how economical it is, buy the nice cab for the backline, and look into renting a head for gigs?
I agree that he should definitely be looking into getting a new head very soon if he needs any kind of volume for gigging. like you said. 100W just doesn't cut it in a band situation.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu