Ok so my lead guitarist has been singing for the band since we started up, but now we want a singer who can move around the stage and connect with the crowd, which is kinda hard to do when your playing guitar at the same time. So we told a few people word got out and now one of my good friends from the guitar ensemble, wants to sing for us, so I said lets give it a try but now, because hes amazing at guitar he also wants to play guitar for a couple songs, which brings us to 3 guitarists. I have been told that when you have three guitarists you all have to be ontop of your game to pull it off, but I dono.

We play hard rock-thrash/groove metal, what do you think we should do I dont blame him for wanting to play guitar, He is really good, but I just dont want to kill it live..
Let him do it for a few songs, might sound interesting.
It'll be very hard to write songs though.
If he's that good he could do the stuff you or the other guitarist can't play.
Or guitar solos , usually no vocals there.
Quote by fretsofthebeast
*grabs rifle*
so let it be written so let it be done..........

Quote by SOADrox429
You shouldn't hit your drummers. You're supposed to be nice to them, or they'll be scared of you.
Let him solo in a couple songs. Pearl Jam sometimes had four guitarists playing at once.
He only wants to play guitar for a couple of songs, if you guys are smart about how the parts are structured and don't introduce egos it could work.

That's a big "if" though.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I dont see an issue, It should work out nicely.

Some guitarist/singers have a ton of stage energy though, being tied to an instument and a mic is not always a downside.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
You can harmonize 2 of them and still have a rhythm, or you could try an epic harmony with all 3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

my cousins band does this. He only plays guitar on 2-3 somes in the set. If i remember right it usually works out like this: he stops playing and sings with the guitar at his side during the verses, then comes in on the chores. For that it has a tendency for 2 of them to be harmonizing the rhythm part and 1 playing a lead over it. Then where there is a solo he will hold down the rythem part while one guitar solos and the other plays the rhythem muted or arpegiod or something along those lines.
There is another option. If he is so amazing at guitar he could take over the lead guitar and have the current lead guitarist just sing, seeing as he is already the vocalist of the band.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
OT
gorky, what country are you from? I'm thinking your name is a reference to Gorky Park(Russia).
I've tried to Google "Pistava", but I can't read what comes up. I'm a stupid USAer. In short where do you play and live.
Ok, this is gonna be seriously off topic, but what the hell:

No its not a reference to Gorky park, I am in fact from Slovenia, and thats like 5000km from Russia, altough we do share the same Slavic ancestry. As for where exactly I live:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=46.350127,14.299693&spn=0.021239,0.038581&z=15

Just gradually zoom out, it starts directly above my house. Pristava is actually a small town, only about 3km long or something. and if you wanna know more about slovenia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by flamedragon88
Ok so my lead guitarist has been singing for the band since we started up, but now we want a singer who can move around the stage and connect with the crowd, which is kinda hard to do when your playing guitar at the same time. So we told a few people word got out and now one of my good friends from the guitar ensemble, wants to sing for us, so I said lets give it a try but now, because hes amazing at guitar he also wants to play guitar for a couple songs, which brings us to 3 guitarists. I have been told that when you have three guitarists you all have to be ontop of your game to pull it off, but I dono.

We play hard rock-thrash/groove metal, what do you think we should do I dont blame him for wanting to play guitar, He is really good, but I just dont want to kill it live..

I suppose it could work if he's really good, but if you want him to be a frontman, then just tell him that's all you want him to do. 3 guitars can get really crowded live, which I've had personal experience of, I hated it. It could be really useful in the studio to have 3 skilled guitarists, but live 2 is the limit I think, unless you're Iron Maiden.
at my jam sessions we have there guitarist playing all the time we play the rythm in different spots l(like open a and barre a etc) and trade of soloing and it always works really well

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
I smell fear. I think you're affraid of losing your spot in the band. Two awesome guitarists that both sing! why would they need you? No offense dude, but you see what I'm getting at.
Check out a band called Cartel - they have the same sort of situation, where they have two fulltime guitarists, and the lead singer plays if a song calls for it.