Page 1 of 2
Ok, I am a huge fan of auto-tuning voices (I really want to do it a **** lot on my own voice despite the fact I apparently have an amazing voice and a lot of people I know dont want me to turn into stuff like T-Pain) but I've noticed that Tom Delonge (Blink 182, Angels and Airwaves and Box Car Racer) uses a lot of auto-tune but it doesnt sound very digital, except in Angels and Airwaves its very digital...

So, can anyone clear me up why Tom Delonge doesnt have a very digital/computer sound when he has been auto-tuned?

If anyone can answer the question I would appreciate it very much, Ive been very curious for a while and I figured only UG and The Pit would know
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Because they auto-tuned it very well when it's not noticeable?

I hate it when people think that the "auto-tuned" music style of today is "good" auto-tuning. It's very terrible and it was most likely started by accident.
Quote by boreamor

I hate it when people think that the "auto-tuned" music style of today is "good" auto-tuning. It's very terrible and it was most likely started by accident.

+1

Auto-tuning is disappointing. There are many artists that can only sing with auto-tune. Is it me, or does that defeat the whole purpose of live music?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
+1

Auto-tuning is disappointing. There are many artists that can only sing with auto-tune. Is it me, or does that defeat the whole purpose of live music?

+inf.
As Jay Z says.. death to auto-tune.
Quote by boreamor

i just like the sound of it, i hate that artists like T-Pain use it all the time, i just wanna have it with my band occasionally, we have a slow sound mixed with a lot of industrial so i just thought it would go well and i was just curious about the whole background of auto-tuning
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Simsimius
+1

totally. and i am ashamed to totally love that t-pain sound.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Tom DeLonge uses auto tune because he can't sing for ****.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Tom DeLonge uses auto tune because he can't sing for ****.

yes ... i pretty much stated that in the thread starter
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Simsimius
+1

yep, if you cant sing. LEARN A GODDAMN INSTRUMENT instead of ending up sounding like a half retarded robot bird
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
he probably uses melodyne, which is natural pitch correction. use that if you want a natural sound. use autotune if you want the t-pain effect
would de longe's bands would have sold so many records if his vocals weren't auto-tuned?no one wants to buy stuff that sounds like s.hit
ok, so tom delonge (pre-ava) used only a little bit but t-pain uses loads. is that why they sound so differant?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by boreamor

The first big time it was used like that was with Cher. She has loads of natural vibrato so it came out all weird.

But I agree with the threads general sentiment, loads of auto tune is horrible. It's surprisingly difficult to tell these artists apart now.
To give T-Pain credit, he can actually sing. That's why he can sound good with autotune. But Attack Attack!, AVA, etc, not that good.

EDIT: ^ And Cher was the first person to make it noticeable, and it was an accident. The music industry call the mistakes like that the "Cher Effect".

I had it a lot during my Music Tech coursework.
Last edited by boreamor at Aug 16, 2009,
Its melodyne.
Melodyne sounds like perfect singing, not digitally corrected singing.
I use it to change the key of samples.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Tom Delonge didn't use Auto Tune for the Dude Ranch album, yet it was still huge, so yes, onedeadcop, people still bought the records.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Yay! Another thread where the differences between Autotune and vocoders/talk boxes are misunderstood.

Watch this video. It's 8-9 minutes long, but explains everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPs4RDwuJMo

As you should probably surmise, you do need to be a good singer for autotune to work well, since it is using your actual voice, unlike a vocoder which removes your vocal tone. Autotune also only takes your voice to the next "standard" note. It's a great piece of kit for recording. Try singing for stupid amounts of time in a day trying to get that perfect track. I highly doubt you'd be able to be note perfect every time. But you need to get close to the note. If you're singing closer to a D when you're meant to be hitting a D#, it's going to be wrong.
producers can use auto tune to clean up a vocal track and make it more consistent, similar to what you'd do with a drum track once you'd sampled over everything. in this sense, it makes it a convenient/time saving tool.

these electronic/pop/hip-hop artists are being drowned in it to a point where it sounds like a vocoder or is a vocoder. in this sense, it's a lazy technique and a sign of the times. kanye west is probably the number 1 culprit for this. i hate that man.

edit: tl; dr - what the guy above said.
Last edited by haz_uk at Aug 16, 2009,
I just saw Blink last night and it was pretty obvious that the only effect they used was reverb. It was great, Mark was really good with some improvised rhythms and Tom sang the wrong notes, but he was still in key.

Tom is a better singer than some people give him credit for; it just depends on which Tom he wants to be. He can either be the one that obviously screws up, the one that gets called bad for being in key but different notes (singers usually figure out what he's doing), and the Tom that sings totally correctly. I saw the latter two yesterday.

I support the TS's choice in using an auto-tuner since he seems to know what he wants.
Quote by Simsimius
+1

It's wrong to use auto-tuning solely for correctional purposes, but there is a place for it in live music. It's just another effect you can use with your voice alongside all the others such as distortion delay reverb etc. Isn't it essentially like controlling synth tones with your voice? Cuz that sounds pretty cool to me.
Quote by one-dead-cop
would de longe's bands would have sold so many records if his vocals weren't auto-tuned?no one wants to buy stuff that sounds like s.hit

Beg to differ. Pyschedelic Horseshi t for a start.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by musiclover2399
I just saw Blink last night and it was pretty obvious that the only effect they used was reverb. It was great, Mark was really good with some improvised rhythms and Tom sang the wrong notes, but he was still in key.

Tom is a better singer than some people give him credit for; it just depends on which Tom he wants to be. He can either be the one that obviously screws up, the one that gets called bad for being in key but different notes (singers usually figure out what he's doing), and the Tom that sings totally correctly. I saw the latter two yesterday.

I support the TS's choice in using an auto-tuner since he seems to know what he wants.

thanks, yes i do know what i want to to use it for. like i said, in terms of music were like an AVA with use of guitar distortion (and i didnt copy AVA's songwriting, i only listened to them properly about a week ago, i despised them for the break up of blink ... im an asshole lol) and for some melodies i want that digital sound.

thanks for all responses, many have cleared it all up for me and i am very much appreaciative
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Daftendire
+inf.
As Jay Z says.. death to auto-tune.

This. That song made me so happy when I heard it.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.

It will be difficult to find a professionally produced artist that doesn't use auto-tune on their voice.

I respect artists who use obvious auto-tune more, because it's a style, not a method of correcting bad pitching.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist

It will be difficult to find a professionally produced artist that doesn't use auto-tune on their voice.

I respect artists who use obvious auto-tune more, because it's a style, not a method of correcting bad pitching.

Yeah, that second sentence is what I was trying to say.

Does anyone know if Matthew Bellamy uses and pitch correction in the studio?
Quote by iamnotrabid
Yeah, that second sentence is what I was trying to say.

Does anyone know if Matthew Bellamy uses and pitch correction in the studio?

Yes. I'm not sure if he uses it all the time, but on some really high notes it's noticeable.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rigiddigits

I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I enjoyed this thread, my band is going to record professionally soon and we may play around with using this to correct the pitch, not sure how my voice'll hold up through a whole day of constant singing.

Btw, that robotic autotune that attack attack uses absolutely ruins them for me. Absolutely.
Defender of the Llama
Ok, anyone who has never been in a professional recording situation really has nothing but a probably uninformed opinion on autotune.

It works as an interesting effect for some artists, T-Pain being a prime example. In my opinion, it sounds like hell on some artists, like attack attack, who I can't stand in the first place.

I'm sure there are some popular artists 'on the radio' that can't actually sing well and have to use loads of autotune, expensive equipment, and excellent engineers to make their voice acceptable. That makes me sick and it just shows how some parts of the music industry are flawed. They used their connections, not their talent as a musician, to become famous. I can't name any of these because I am not a professional engineer/producer who has personally been in the studio with a big artist and seen it happen.

There are good ways to use autotune. It is a great resource for artists short on money, who can't afford to spend a long time in the studio tracking parts until they are absolutely perfect every time. Correct use of inventions like autotune and programs to make drum perfect can make better sounding recordings for bands short on money. Or if the group recording didn't notice a slight imperfection in a vocal track, the mixing engineer can use autotune to fix it quick and save a lot of hassle to re-record it.

My experience with autotune is that it can save a lot of money and leave your recordings sounding as good as they can for as much money as you have. The fact is, almost everyone recording now is going to use autotune some.
Last edited by CODE at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by CODE
Ok, anyone who has never been in a professional recording situation really has nothing but a probably uninformed opinion on autotune.

It works as an interesting effect for some artists, T-Pain being a prime example. In my opinion, it sounds like hell on some artists, like attack attack, who I can't stand in the first place.

I'm sure there are some popular artists 'on the radio' that can't actually sing well and have to use loads of autotune, expensive equipment, and excellent engineers to make their voice acceptable. That makes me sick and it just shows how some parts of the music industry are flawed. They used their connections, not their talent as a musician, to become famous. I can't name any of these because I am not a professional engineer/producer who has personally been in the studio with a big artist and seen it happen.

There are good ways to use autotune. It is a great resource for artists short on money, who can't afford to spend a long time in the studio tracking parts until they are absolutely perfect every time. Correct use of inventions like autotune and programs to make drum perfect can make better sounding recordings for bands short on money. Or if the group recording didn't notice a slight imperfection in a vocal track, the mixing engineer can use autotune to fix it quick and save a lot of hassle to re-record it.

My experience with autotune is that it can save a lot of money and leave your recordings sounding as good as they can for as much money as you have. The fact is, almost everyone recording now is going to use autotune some.

In the UK, all of the girl bands are EXACTLY as described - even when live.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by musiclover2399

So, wait.

Tom Delonge sounds bad on purpose?
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I don't know any of these bands, but I'm guessing they are probably popular more for their image and the product they put out for the label and promoters, rather than their musical talent.

It is too bad sometimes, but image is a big part of being successful. You have to have the whole package, which some people would consider 'selling out' when it isn't always. These groups must just be lucky to get by with little musical talent.
Page 1 of 2