Page 1 of 2
So my questions are:

Why do ppl want bolt-on necks? they play horrible on the high frets imo.

And why do ppl want 22 or 21 frets? with 24 frets you just have more notes right (and 2 octaves)?

May sound noobish but im super cereal. just wondered
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Because guitars with bolt on necks are usually cheaper, and it allows the neck to be unfinished, which i love.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by blue_strat
Because most people don't spend much time above the 17th fret.

agreed, next thread please
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
regarding bolt on necks: because people have different preferences to you.

regarding frets - some people don't need a 22nd fret or higher so they can get by with 21 fret guitars and don't need to specifically seek out something with more frets. also, some people want to have the neck pickup positioned on a harmonic node (such as the 24th fret position) - you can't have a pickup there if you have 24 frets.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
because it's cheaper, it works fine for them, they dont need the higher frets, because they want what they want.

take your pick.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
If a bolt on neck is broken, the neck alone can be replaced. On a neck thru, the whole guitar needs to be replaced.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
bolt ons can have just as good fret access as thru necks.

21/22 fret guitars allow the pickup to be placed where the 24th fret would be altering the tone.

different strokes for different folks.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
alright, i got it. thx lol.

oh and what is the difference if you have a pickup "positioned on a harmonic node" ?
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
because bolt on guitar sound different from a neck thru. on a bolt on guitar alot more of the body wood contributes to the tone while neck thru more of the neck wood contributes to the tone. its all up to personal taste both my guitars are bolt on and i have no problem reaching the 24th frets on my guitars. although i admit the AANJ on my ibanez does feel better then the block on my jackson
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Quote by whoswt
because bolt on guitar sound different from a neck thru. on a bolt on guitar alot more of the body wood contributes to the tone while neck thru more of the neck wood contributes to the tone. its all up to personal taste both my guitars are bolt on and i have no problem reaching the 24th frets on my guitars. although i admit the AANJ on my ibanez does feel better then the block on my jackson

what does AANJ mean? i know what it is because i have a ibby bolt-on myself.
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
All Access Neck Joint
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Gryphon999
alright, i got it. thx lol.

oh and what is the difference if you have a pickup "positioned on a harmonic node" ?

Nothing. People say its bad to have the pickup on the harmonic node (on a 22 fret guitar, the pickup pole is place where the 24th fret would be, where the "node" is.) but as soon as you fret a string the nodes move.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
bolt on necks ae accessable on the high frets go play a Jem or any RG. why do you think that most top players use a bolt on neck

Bolt on necks are easier to replace.

TS your points is totally unfounded, go and play and abuse a lot of guitars and come back with your conclusion

22 frets versus 21 vs 24 if the guitar has been built properly and setup properly all notes will ring out, you might as well ask why a piano has so many octaves a 24 fret guitar has 144 notes btw simply put thats 12 octaves not 2
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 16, 2009,
If you don't buy a neck-through 24 fret guitar, your children will all be left-wing libertarian homosexuals. They'll burn the American flag and marry French impressionist artists called Jean-Pierre.
So there is no reason to buy a bolt-on or 22 fret guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I never go past the 19th fret because I have a bolt on neck that blocks me from getting any further.

However I don't even go that high on my second guitar, which as a 24 fret fretboard and an incredibly thin neck.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
bolt on necks ae accessable on the high frets go play a Jem or any RG. why do you think that most top players use a bolt on neck

Bolt on necks are easier to replace.

TS your points is totally unfounded, go and play and abuse a lot of guitars and come back with your conclusion

22 frets versus 21 vs 24 if the guitar has been built properly and setup properly all notes will ring out, you might as well ask why a piano has so many octaves a 24 fret guitar has 144 notes btw simply put thats 12 octaves not 2

And i didnt mean ibanez bolt-on's but jackson/fender ones.

your right about the octaves, but i actually meant 2 octaves a string.

and the underlined part was pretty much unneccesary
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
I have both neck thru and a bolt on- and the bolt on rolls with the best of em...the neck thru is easier to access 17 and above, but if it cleaves the price to a 1/3rd of my neck thru, who cares?
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Gryphon999

I find the neck joint much more comfortable and good on the high frets than a neck-thru or set-neck. It's preference. Also because you don't have to replace the entire guitar if the neck goes bad, just unscrew, remove, replace, screw.

And why do ppl want 22 or 21 frets? with 24 frets you just have more notes right (and 2 octaves)?

The higher frets cause a brighter tone, and as a result with certain woods and pickups can sound brittle and harsh. Also some people like me can barely use 22 properly due to finger size and therefore don't wish to pay extra for more. Also it moves the neck pickup closer, which messes with the smooth creamy tone you can get from them.

And to both of these; If you need to have unhindered access to the very top frets and can't live with 24 frets, then you're either Rusty Cooley or something is very wrong with your technique.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Gryphon999

1) Why do ppl want bolt-on necks? they play horrible on the high frets imo.

2) And why do ppl want 22 or 21 frets? with 24 frets you just have more notes right (and 2 octaves)?

1) they don't, imo. And you can always get an all-access neck joint if it really annoys you. if you want the bolt-on sound, you have to go for a bolt-on, kind of thing.

2) it changes the position of the neck pickup, so subtly alters the tone of the neck pickup. certain tones sound better with the neck pickup in the "correct" position, as the neck pickup would be on a 21 or 22 fret guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
got all the info i wanted, thx guys.
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
All this harmonic node stuff is B/S, it only makes a difference when you play an open string, all the positions of the nodes change with every fret you press down so the placement makes no difference as soon as you fret a note.

The only way it makes a difference is because on a 21 or 22 fret neck the humbucker is nearer the center of the oscillation and there for more output, it is also warmer than nearer to the bridge.

and I bet my Ibanez bolt ons out play most set necks for access.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
They make so many different guitars as there are so many different kinds of players and styles. A metal player seeks a different set up than jazz player. Somebody like BBking would never use 24 frets if he had em but a shredder wouldnt live without those frets. Some shredders want 27 or more frets. Its really really hard to make a single guitar that would please every player out there. And yea some bolt necks can have a bulky neck joint but certainly not more bulky than a set neck LP. And you can always bevel the heel and use recessed ferrules to slim down the neck joint.
Quote by Gryphon999
So my questions are:

May sound noobish but im super cereal. just wondered

With bolt neck guitars, you can potentially get as much or more sustain, you get the tone from the body wood instead of the neck wood, they're easier to replace, they CAN be built with amazing upper fret access (Tom Anderson, high end Ibanez, Caparison, Jackson...).

22 or 21 frets? Not everyone needs the high D# and E, and with fewer frets, you can place one half of the neck pickup where the 24th and 27th frets would be, which is a very harmonically rich area and contributes to the tone of the neck pickup greatly. Also, rhythm players don't usually use the 24th fret, or really anything above the 12th or 15th.
Quote by Absent Mind
All this harmonic node stuff is B/S, it only makes a difference when you play an open string, all the positions of the nodes change with every fret you press down so the placement makes no difference as soon as you fret a note.

The only way it makes a difference is because on a 21 or 22 fret neck the humbucker is nearer the center of the oscillation and there for more output, it is also warmer than nearer to the bridge.

This is very true as well and I can see where you're coming from. But when using the neck pickup for cleans, you may be using a lot of open strings. And the harmonic node points I believe tend to be more common at the 12th and 24th fret areas for a lot of common chords.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 16, 2009,
may be a bit to much, but does anyone have a video where you can hear the difference between bolt-on neck-thru bridge pup? or audio of course
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Quote by Gryphon999
may be a bit to much, but does anyone have a video where you can hear the difference between bolt-on neck-thru bridge pup? or audio of course

Yes, you can once you have a well-trained ear, which most musicians do.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
a 24 fret guitar has 144 notes btw simply put thats 12 octaves not 2

no. just no.

none of the notes on the 5th 4th 3rd and 2nd strings are unique.

you have a 4 octave range on a standard tuning 24 fret 6 string guitar (not including harmonics).
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
no. just no.

you have a 4 octave range on a standard tuning 24 fret 6 string guitar (not including harmonics).

Yeah. You really only have 12 notes no matter which way you slice it, they're just different octaves.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by necrosis1193
I find the neck joint much more comfortable and good on the high frets than a neck-thru or set-neck. It's preference. Also because you don't have to replace the entire guitar if the neck goes bad, just unscrew, remove, replace, screw.

+1

I like having something more substantial to hold on when I'm that high. My Ibanez's bolt-on joint is much smaller then my Fender's [and much better], but it has more wood then any other neck joint, so I still have the benefit of extra wood [for grip, etc.].

TBH, I'd take a bolt-on any day for most guitars - but I don't care what the joint is, I just play.

22 Frets is enough for me. I can bend up 3 semitones if I want, maybe more, meaning I have 3 to 4 extra frets! 26 frets all available to use, but I rarely have a need for anything more, and am never hindered by it.

But, all my guitars are because I like them, not joint type or fret numbers.
I'd happily play a 24 fret neck through, but I won't go out of the way specially to get one.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
Yes, you can once you have a well-trained ear, which most musicians do.

i mean.. i dont have a neck-thru guitar here so i cant compare it. now read my post again please :P
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Quote by Absent Mind

i didn't say anything about harmonic nodes, you're right about the open strings. However, the part about the "warmer" sound is the bit which changes the tone, and which is the bit which I'm talking about, so I don't really see your point?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
no. just no.

i`m taking the piss out of the TS for starting a pointless thread
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i`m taking the piss out of the TS for starting a pointless thread

tell me whats so pointless about it then
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Quote by Absent Mind

The Ibanez AANJ is pretty nice, but my Carvin DC-127 has better upper fret access than any other guitar I've tried, regardless of the construction. I don't think the access could get much better. Still, I don't mind bolt ons at all, even though the only one I have is a Strat. In fact one of the next guitars I buy will be a Suhr Modern 24.
I prefer bolt-on necks. The neck joint doesn't bother me, in fact, on neck-throughs I tend to get lost at the higher frets if there's no heel or anything.

I don't like 24 frets because I never use the top 2 notes, anyway. If I wanted to reach the E6, I'd bend up a whole step. Also, to accomodate 24 frets, the neck pickup needs to be moved back, which affects the tone. I haven't played many 24-fret guitars, so I haven't really experienced this change first-hand, but it makes a difference in theory. Some like it, some don't.

Also, in my experience, bolt-on guitars sound punchier. Set-necks may work for some people, but for some reason they always sound rather muddy when I play them.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Gryphon999
tell me whats so pointless about it then

it`s alll been discussed before and if you`d bothered to use the searchbar would of discovered the attributes of different guitar constructions (neck joints) that many top manufacturers have been using for decades.......so the thread pissed me off that you didn`t bother to use the searchbar so i declared it pointless because it`s been discussed to death previously...and i`m in a foul mood......
Page 1 of 2