Hey all,

I need a new distortion pedal and I was thinking about getting a BOSS Metalzone pedal, but I tried it and it wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I need to know if there is a pedal with similar features to the Metal zone pedal but with a better tone?
EHX Metal Muff.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
EHX Metal Muff.

+1
Its quite versatile and heavy.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by chuckmehh
what kind of amp do you use?

I can't afford a good amp, so as a present a few years ago I got a Marshall in the MG series (I know it sucks, but it was free so :P)

I'm gonna get a new amp soon though, I almost have enough moneyz
no worries man, gotta start with somethin! I would try to find an amp with a nice onboard distortion and not have to mess with effects. What is your budget?
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by chuckmehh
no worries man, gotta start with somethin! I would try to find an amp with a nice onboard distortion and not have to mess with effects. What is your budget?

Anything up to $500
Yea, I found the Metal Zone quite brittle. I ended up buying an Equalizer to put behind it to smooth it out. There was a Warp 7 pedal by H&K which sounded pretty epic. Don't know if they still make it. It might help if you told us what you didn't like about the MT-2, what music you play and what sort of sound you're looking for.
i got a vox AD50VT for 675. it's a lot better than then practice amp i was working off of... maybe find a used randall. they were what i was looking at before. that is if you want SS. if not you can definitely find a decent tube amp in for 500. my favorite distortion so far is my sansamp GT-2, got it on the bay for 65 shipped.

edit: when i played my brothers metal zone it just sounded like erioha behahapsrhypab like a bunch of weird noises.
Last edited by blandguitar at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by kill-the-scene
Yea, I found the Metal Zone quite brittle. I ended up buying an Equalizer to put behind it to smooth it out. There was a Warp 7 pedal by H&K which sounded pretty epic. Don't know if they still make it. It might help if you told us what you didn't like about the MT-2, what music you play and what sort of sound you're looking for.

The metal zone didn't have a thick sound like I thought it would. I want something really heavy and thick. I play thrash metal, but lately I've found myself playing a lot of Killswitch Engage and other song in Drop C and one step down
my call would be shop around for a nice used combo around your budget and not have to mess with pedals. That's just my preference though. You can find that Warp pedal that was mentioned on ebay all the time though.

Look for a used Peavey XXX combo or something similar; should be able to find one in your price range.
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
if you're interested, there is a Peavey 5150 combo on ebay for 450 buy it now...good deal man. should do quite well for what you're looking for
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by kill-the-scene

what?
Ack, I missed that. My apologies.

EDIT: I really missed a lot of this thread. Goddamn slow computer.

TS, with a $500 budget, find a used 5150 combo and a TS if you are looking for a metalcore sound.
Well you need an amp which can handle the bass response of a big soupy detuned sound. But if your clean channel is half-decent, then check out the Metal Muff that the other guys mentioned. Sounds good. The only way I can get a soupy sound is with those 2 pedals and a valve amp.