Sorry if it's not the right thread or something but i'm really desperate.

I got this guitar a month ago or so, ever since i changed the factory strings everything just keeps getting wrong. It keeps getting out of tune every few minutes when playing, and i'm tuning it like this guy says http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuVEeeOkNc

And the frez buzz is horrible, i'm setting the brigde higher and it's still all weird, don't know how to say it... let's say i play a g chord it sounds good then i want to play a g chord but barre style (sorry i don't know much theory) it sounds horrible! i'm really desperate and i would love if someone explains to me step by step what should i do:/

thanks in advance
your in the right thread.
then you must feel really desperate indeed, i bet youre thinking you messed up your guitar.
dont worry, some experts will come in any minute.

good luck
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Does it have the locking TOM bridge?
Locking tuners?

Look at the stringing tips in the stickies here, they provide excellent info.

When you tuned, did you make sure the string didn't wind onto itself?

Is the neck bowed in any way?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Gryphon999
your in the right thread.
then you must feel really desperate indeed, i bet youre thinking you messed up your guitar.
dont worry, some experts will come in any minute.

good luck

false hope wins everytime.
Quote by Shinozoku
Does it have the locking TOM bridge?
Locking tuners?

Look at the stringing tips in the stickies here, they provide excellent info.

When you tuned, did you make sure the string didn't wind onto itself?

Is the neck bowed in any way?

What do you mean with "wind onto itself" ?

There's nothing wrong with the neck i guess, it's not bowed in any way... and yes it does have the locking tuners and the tom bridge
I think the strings aren't the problems because i already changed them twice, today i put on some new ones and the old ones were about 2 weeks on and they were streched
Quote by ShAd0w666
What do you mean with "wind onto itself" ?

There's nothing wrong with the neck i guess, it's not bowed in any way... and yes it does have the locking tuners and the tom bridge

When the string was winding on the post, did the windings overlap? Or did you ensure that they were adjacent and moved downwards onto the post, instead of ontop of itself?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by ibanezgod1973
did you change the string guage from what was originally on it?........

I think the factory string gauge was .009... but i'm not sure, i'm using .009 now too.

@Shinozoku: i appreciate your help but i have no idea what you are talking about:/
Oi. You know how, to tune the guitar, the string must be fed through the hole on the tuning post, and when you turn the knob the post turn and it wraps the string around the post?
Well, when you wrap the string around the post, you have to make sure that with every revolution of the post the string does not overlap itself and become wound over string that's already been wound. Each turn of the string must move down the post so that it looks like a compressed spring, not like a roll of messily wrapped twine.

Stupid name.

But i have the tuning lockers, i just have to put the string through that hole and then lock it, right? i saw it so on a youtube video
Quote by ShAd0w666
But i have the tuning lockers, i just have to put the string through that hole and then lock it, right? i saw it so on a youtube video

This is a much better video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QL2WdKUE-I
You need windings around the tuner to ensure stability. Locking tuners keep the string from slipping through the hole, but that won't stop them from slipping when wound around the post. But even with them it always helps to use proper stringing technique until you really learn the tuner and how it will behave with more or less windings. And you really need at least a few windings so that the string is actually grabbing the post. You're probably relying solely on the lock of the tuner to hold the string in place, which it won't do without actually having the string wound at least 2 or 3 times around the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTD8A9D8SQY&feature=channel
This video is more for TOM style bridges. But watch both to make sure the information sinks in.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 16, 2009,
But this guy demonstrates it as if the guitar doesn't have the locking tuners
The first video has locking tuners. The point of the lock is to add stability onto the tried and true reliability of regular tuners. Just string it as though it were a regular tuner, but lock it. Use the wrap-around technique shown in that first video, and wind it normally. I can almost guarantee you will get superior tuning stability after the strings are stretched.

Stupid name.

I could do that but i'm angry because anyone says how the guitar doesn't get out of the tune and that it's perfect... why do i have this problems... also the fret buzz thingy... I will try the stuff showed in the videos tomorrow, thanks for the help
i htought locking tuners prevented the tuning knobs from moving.. oops lol
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Gryphon:

TS: Well, they say that because they realize that they can't rely only on the string lock to keep the guitar in tune. They realize that locking tuners are still, in fact, tuners, and that stability comes from the combination of the locks resisting slippage through the post hole, the wraparound lock technique (which I use on all my guitars), and the string wrappings around the post. Try to get the string to go around the post at least 3 times on the low strings, and maybe 4 on the high strings. Just make sure the string continues down the post, not on top of string already on there.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Gryphon:

TS: Well, they say that because they realize that they can't rely only on the string lock to keep the guitar in tune. They realize that locking tuners are still, in fact, tuners, and that stability comes from the combination of the locks resisting slippage through the post hole, the wraparound lock technique (which I use on all my guitars), and the string wrappings around the post. Try to get the string to go around the post at least 3 times on the low strings, and maybe 4 on the high strings. Just make sure the string continues down the post, not on top of string already on there.

it would look weird if i quoted myself lol ah well

wraparound lock technique is like the one described somewhere here on this forum? because when i first restring my guitar with .12's i wasnt able to bend the G string and i couldnt get a grip on the B and E string lol. the beginning is wound pretty loose (the throught the hole part and back underneath blabla) but the rest is tight and i dont have tuning problems. I tune from D to B..
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Amp
Pick
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
^ setup your guitar properly. You might get fretbuzz on a new set of strings for a short while because the neck and strings take a while to be broken into the overall setup.

Remember that new nonstretched strings WILL go out of tune at the beginning. Just play around for a half an hour and tune once between now and then.

Don't rely on the locking tuner too much. Being locking is indeed better but it does not mean it's perfect. A good idea is to give the string a half a round around the peghead and make sure the string does not sitting on the sharp edge of the hole on the tuner. It works wonder with my guitar.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Aug 16, 2009,
You know, I'd just take it to a shop to have it setup properly before anything else get's screwed up. And you could have the tech show you what to do.
Quote by Gryphon999
it would look weird if i quoted myself lol ah well

wraparound lock technique is like the one described somewhere here on this forum? because when i first restring my guitar with .12's i wasnt able to bend the G string and i couldnt get a grip on the B and E string lol. the beginning is wound pretty loose (the throught the hole part and back underneath blabla) but the rest is tight and i dont have tuning problems. I tune from D to B..

Yeah, it's described in the setup sticky at the top of the forum And it's also outlined in that firs vid I posted.

Stupid name.