hello everybody,

i was just playing my guitar and all of a sudden: 'pang!' string breaks again!
again! it happens to me alot, my strings never last for more than 2-3 weeks. I'm not quite sure why. I've read some things on the net that said it could be because the saddles are not smooth but my strings always break near the tuners. please help!

p.s.
i use ernie ball strings .10
Last edited by BazzTheBoss at Aug 16, 2009,
you've probably got a sharp spot in the tuner hole then. is it the same string that always breaks ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
you've probably got a sharp spot in the tuner hole then. is it the same string that always breaks ?

they don't really break at the tuner but more like half way between the nut and the tuner, it almost always the high E string but this time it was the G string. maybe tuned too high?
Last edited by BazzTheBoss at Aug 16, 2009,
What kind of guitar do you have? and remember that if the break looks to be halfway between the nut and the tuner it's propably on the tuner they break as the strings are stretched, and when they break they're not and the break will seem to be further down the neck. take a file or something and smooth out the edges of the hole you stick the strings into.
the string might have too much friction on the nut. rub some graphite between each string slit on the nut.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
you might be kinking the string when you wind it up and that would cause it too be weaker and it will break eventually as a result.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I've got an epi les paul standard ( plus top, left handed if that matters :P ) I'm gonna try both of those things, thanks for the tips!
try not putting the sting into the hole first but winding it around the post like 2 times, then put it in
Don't use Ernie Balls!

Seriously, I still remember the day when I bought some .9's brand new, and within 10 minutes of playing, my B string snapped. I was so angry. I recommened D'Addario.
Yeah man, same situation i used to have. I used to use ernie ball 10's as well with my yamaha strat knockoff...anyways, i changed to Dean Markley Blue steels and ever have broken a string since. Pay the extra dollar or two and you will save yourself more money. Btw bluesteels by dean markley 99% of the time never rust to let you know.
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
My SG's strings last for ever, I only break my strings when tremolo picking or tuning it.. I used Ernie Ball Slinkys one single time but now I use D'addario 10's and love them!
...What!?
TS as they break in the middle its not gonna be saddles or tuners causing it. You might just be hard on strings or need to try another brand to see how they do. Ive tried ernie ball and they broke easy for me as did fender. But others swear by em. You might also need a heavier ga. Try 10s in various brands see if it makes a difference.
Try changing your nut to a brass one?....I used to break strings a lot with ghs strings....never had trouble with ernie balls though...fender and gibson make ****ty strings but when u break a string at 3am and ur in the middle of a session you can get some gibsons at meijer for like 3 bucks hahaha so that's handy
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Maybe when you bend the string you over bend them to the point of breaking. I used to do that alot, once you have the feel to bending the string it will get better. But take off all of your strings and check to see if you have a sharp spot. Just to make sure.
If you play a lot, your strings won't last, especially if you play in humid conditions. I play a lot and I've never had a set last more than 2 weeks. One string always ends up breaking.

I will say, though, the DR's I've been using lately are a lot better at staying in good condition longer. The RotoSounds I used to use got pretty bad pretty quickly.
Last edited by Jam3V at Aug 16, 2009,
Why all the EB hate?? I love my power slinky's..
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

All of the people who have replied asked about burrs on the tuners or recommended different strings. Now I have a question that is new to the topic.

How are you putting your strings on? Is the string overlapping on itself on the tuner? If so, You need to learn a much better way to string up. (Look up Dan Erlewine's setup book)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
All of the people who have replied asked about burrs on the tuners or recommended different strings. Now I have a question that is new to the topic.

How are you putting your strings on? Is the string overlapping on itself on the tuner? If so, You need to learn a much better way to string up. (Look up Dan Erlewine's setup book)

yeah they do overlap on my jagmaster but i never go out of tune
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"