Page 1 of 2
does anyone else agree with me? I spent 600 bucks on a crate GT3500H Head and it's raw tone is so full bodied and versatile I will never ever need a pedal, yet people will buy high end marshalls and such and use a metal zone pedal for distortion, and it sounds so tinny and fake. And a ton of low end combos have very good distortion and tone, yet people still waste 100 bucks on a pedal to ruin the sound. and its not just that they dont know how to set it up, I've seen pro's use pedals as a main source of gain or distortion set up by professional techs and lo, it's still appalling.

am I crazy?
Quote by Psychaberration
does anyone else agree with me? I spent 600 bucks on a crate GT3500H Head and it's raw tone is so full bodied and versatile I will never ever need a pedal, yet people will buy high end marshalls and such and use a metal zone pedal for distortion, and it sounds so tinny and fake. And a ton of low end combos have very good distortion and tone, yet people still waste 100 bucks on a pedal to ruin the sound. and its not just that they dont know how to set it up, I've seen pro's use pedals as a main source of gain or distortion set up by professional techs and lo, it's still appalling.

am I crazy?

Yes.
that's why you get an overdrive pedal
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
In my experience, distortion pedals do kind of provide a crappy tone, but overdrive pedals are awesome.
well, i sort of agree that distortion pedals are worse than amp distortion... but you're not even comparing to a great amp...

but it's more about where you want the distortion to come from... you can choose an amp that specializes more in clean tones (like a Fender Twin) and run distortion pedals in front of it. there ARE good distortion boxes out there... there's hundreds of **** ones, but there's a couple dozen good ones too.

or, you can choose an amp that is built for distortion (like a Marshall or a MESA) and eschew distortion pedals altogether. i've got a marshall DSL50 and all my distortion is from the amp. if i need a boost, i just use by EQ pedal's decibel booster and it just cranks the input through the same distortion channel.

but yes, you are crazy. tons of pros AND amateurs use distortion pedals, and they sound just fine. and as has been mentioned, overdrive pedals are a nice in-between.
Some distortion is pretty bad, sounds pretty tinny and weak, OD pedals are epic though.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!

How many distortion pedals have you tried?

Certainly not enough if you are going to say that "every single distortion pedal sounds like crap".
Quote by The_Bosstone

How many distortion pedals have you tried?

Certainly not enough if you are going to say that "every single distortion pedal sounds like crap".

'twas merely an ATTENTION GRABBER
Your amp distortion gives you ONE sound. Sometimes that's all you need. But some players want to get lots of different sounds from one amp. I play in a covers band and I need to be versatile. My Marshall combo's OD channel has a great sound for the rocky stuff, but I have a blues driver if I need a slight bit more overdrive on the clean channel.

Sometimes pedals sound crap and I agree with you that the metalzone is rubbish and brittle by itself, but I put in line before my blues driver (gain to zero) and it smooths it out beautifully into a really thick sound.
Quote by Psychaberration
I've seen pro's use pedals as a main source of gain or distortion set up by professional techs and lo, it's still appalling
Tell that to David Gimour.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Tell that to David Gimour.

+1

Also, to people hating on the Crate GT3500H: It's an Ampeg VH140c clone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by kill-the-scene
Your amp distortion gives you ONE sound. Sometimes that's all you need. But some players want to get lots of different sounds from one amp. I play in a covers band and I need to be versatile. My Marshall combo's OD channel has a great sound for the rocky stuff, but I have a blues driver if I need a slight bit more overdrive on the clean channel.

Sometimes pedals sound crap and I agree with you that the metalzone is rubbish and brittle by itself, but I put in line before my blues driver (gain to zero) and it smooths it out beautifully into a really thick sound.

My amp covers the entire range of distortion tones for me, I play everything on it, pop punk to mathcore, and i do get a great clean sound for whatever I need, usually jazzy or what have you (admittedly not the best tone, but good.). But I will admit, it's probably the ****tiest amp ever for blues or anything of that sort. And Ive played other amps that are the exact same way. I will admit there's a separate place for jazz and classic rock amps that do that 100 times better. btw, the overdrive pedal i got (for free) turns my great tone into a mess, it loses all the mids and garbles the clarity of the notes.
Quote by Raijouta
+1

Also, to people hating on the Crate GT3500H: It's an Ampeg VH140c clone.

yeah people often forget that there was once a good crate amp, even if it technically wasn't a crate amp
Quote by Psychaberration
My amp covers the entire range of distortion tones for me, I play everything on it, pop punk to mathcore, and i do get a great clean sound for whatever I need, usually jazzy or what have you (admittedly not the best tone, but good.). But I will admit, it's probably the ****tiest amp ever for blues or anything of that sort. And Ive played other amps that are the exact same way. I will admit there's a separate place for jazz and classic rock amps that do that 100 times better. btw, the overdrive pedal i got (for free) turns my great tone into a mess, it loses all the mids and garbles the clarity of the notes.

math core?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa8nHKPZ5k

edit: the audio isnt right ****

but if you want a distortion that kicks ass, spend money on one that isn't under 50 bucks, you actually have to spend money for a tight dist.
Quote by blandguitar
math core?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa8nHKPZ5k

edit: the audio isnt right ****

but if you want a distortion that kicks ass, spend money on one that isn't under 50 bucks, you actually have to spend money for a tight dist.

yeah, you do have to spend money for good dist, because those high end SS heads/tube heads aren't cheap. But then again roland cubes and vox combos are, so either way, if you know anything about tone, it shouldn't be hard to avoid tinny and overproduced tone from a pedal, even if it did cost you over 100 bucks.
Quote by blandguitar
i haven't heard of them. i don't listen to too much new music tbh. stuck in the 80's and 90's which is ironic considering how young i am. because Dime was never in any of those bands

fixed
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by stykerwolf
Bah i even go back to the late 40's. Music just died after 1990 really IMO

DON'T HIJACK MY THREAD. but seriously, you're just not looking for good bands.
Quote by Psychaberration

But it's all about messing with your sound til you find something that works. If you're using a pedal to drive your amp harder it needs to be super subtle. If your pedal makes your sound crap then that's too bad, but just because it doesn't work for you (or maybe you can't get it to work?) doesn't mean you can write them all off.

And besides, not everyone has the £$£$ for a good amp. Pedals are a good option for making a crap SS amp sound a lot less crap on a small budget.
Quote by stykerwolf
Whoops, went a little offtopic there.

ONTOPIC: you havn't tried out a good distortion pedal, or your pick attack sucks

trust me, it has nothing to do with my ability to play the guitar seeing as how I'm very adept at playing, it's all to do with taste, and if you like the tone of, say, pantera, then you have bad taste in tone in my own opinion, and would probably like some of the pedals out there. they simply don't give me an acceptable tone based on what i think is good or bad.
Quote by kill-the-scene
But it's all about messing with your sound til you find something that works. If you're using a pedal to drive your amp harder it needs to be super subtle. If your pedal makes your sound crap then that's too bad, but just because it doesn't work for you (or maybe you can't get it to work?) doesn't mean you can write them all off.

And besides, not everyone has the £$£$ for a good amp. Pedals are a good option for making a crap SS amp sound a lot less crap on a small budget.

i totally understand that, and i'm waiting to find an excellent one, but so far what I've played and what I've heard from other people, pros and ams, just doesn't hold a candle to my amp, a VHT, an ENGL, or even some low end combos.
Quote by Psychaberration
trust me, it has nothing to do with my ability to play the guitar seeing as how I'm very adept at playing, it's all to do with taste, and if you like the tone of, say, pantera, then you have bad taste in tone in my own opinion, and would probably like some of the pedals out there. they simply don't give me an acceptable tone based on what i think is good or bad.

GOD no Dimebag's tone is crap imo, i like Jimmy Page's live tone and Stevie Ray's tone though...

But there could be a jillion reasons why you didn't like the tone you got from a distortion pedal...
Quote by stykerwolf
GOD no Dimebag's tone is crap imo, i like Jimmy Page's live tone and Stevie Ray's tone though...

But there could be a jillion reasons why you didn't like the tone you got from a distortion pedal...

dude I LOVE Stevie's tone, but that's kinda irrelevant seeing as how it's not pedal driven as far as I know. Plus good bluesy/jazzy tone requires something special, like a totally separate preamp from a metal head, like how i use a roland jazz amp for that.
Quote by Psychaberration
dude I LOVE Stevie's tone, but that's kinda irrelevant seeing as how it's not pedal driven as far as I know. Plus good bluesy/jazzy tone requires something special, like a totally separate preamp from a metal head, like how i use a roland jazz amp for that.

Didnt he use two Tubescreamers?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Personally I love the sound of my Fulltone GT-500. If I'm not using my amp (Laney GH100L) I always take my pedal as I now I can get an amazing (imo) tone out of it.
Stevie used two Maxon TS808's in his loop, though he probably used a cranked Dumble and such, there's a mod on UG that knows almost everything about SRV.

Back on topic: You should get a good OD for that boost into metalish type gain levels, but there are a WHOLE bunch of good distortion pedals, though nothing comes to mind since i dont use any
Quote by Psychaberration

It is. He used a pair of tubescreamers into a Dumble, and I think a Super Reverb.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
It is. He used a pair of tubescreamers into a Dumble, and I think a Super Reverb.

ok fair enough, he did it right. Doesn't mean most don't.
Quote by Psychaberration

well, that doesn't mean they sound like crap.

i prefer distortion pedals to overdrive pedals - i use them to boost the overdrive channel on my laney VC30 (on a low gain setting), just like how people tend to use overdrive pedals. that way you get the hard clipped tone, slightly rounded off by the amp's overdrive, and i really enjoy that sound, but you can't get it with an overdrive pedal - overdrive pedals seem to make the sound a bit "blunt" to me. i like a bit of edge and overdrive pedals tend not to do that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
well, that doesn't mean they sound like crap.

i prefer distortion pedals to overdrive pedals - i use them to boost the overdrive channel on my laney VC30 (on a low gain setting), just like how people tend to use overdrive pedals. that way you get the hard clipped tone, slightly rounded off by the amp's overdrive, and i really enjoy that sound, but you can't get it with an overdrive pedal - overdrive pedals seem to make the sound a bit "blunt" to me. i like a bit of edge and overdrive pedals tend not to do that.

That sounds like a great way to balance out your tone, but since you're amp is a delicious Laney, you make it compliment something already awesome. my main issue is with people who use the clean channel on their $2000 amp and then plug in a digitech distortion pedal and solely rely on that.
Quote by Psychaberration
That sounds like a great way to balance out your tone, but since you're amp is a delicious Laney, you make it compliment something already awesome. my main issue is with people who use the clean channel on their $2000 amp and then plug in a digitech distortion pedal and solely rely on that.

Well that's just them being stupid and not using pedals properly in their set up. It's a hangover from being a younger player and having a crap amp and the pedal being your only way to get a decent sound. That's how pedals should be used in crap amps.

Loads of people here say they use pedals to compliment their high end valve amp. That's how pedals should be used in valve amps.

You said in your opening gambit that you thought 'every single distortion pedal sounds like crap'. They're never going to sing like a great set of valves. That's not what they're supposed to do. But people on this thread have given several examples of how they can work well in a good set up a la SRV.

Then, once it's proven that pedals CAN help you achieve great and distinctive tone, you change your mind and say that it's the players who use them instead of the OD on the amp that annoy you. Stop moving the goal-posts.

It's not the pedals that are the issue here. There are loads of crap pedals but some not so crap ones. And if everything is used right (again re:SRV) it can be amazing.
Quote by kill-the-scene
Well that's just them being stupid and not using pedals properly in their set up. It's a hangover from being a younger player and having a crap amp and the pedal being your only way to get a decent sound. That's how pedals should be used in crap amps.

Loads of people here say they use pedals to compliment their high end valve amp. That's how pedals should be used in valve amps.

You said in your opening gambit that you thought 'every single distortion pedal sounds like crap'. They're never going to sing like a great set of valves. That's not what they're supposed to do. But people on this thread have given several examples of how they can work well in a good set up a la SRV.

Then, once it's proven that pedals CAN help you achieve great and distinctive tone, you change your mind and say that it's the players who use them instead of the OD on the amp that annoy you. Stop moving the goal-posts.

It's not the pedals that are the issue here. There are loads of crap pedals but some not so crap ones. And if everything is used right (again re:SRV) it can be amazing.

I didn't mean to say it was the players even though it usually is, I'm saying pedals can't hold the tone by themselves, I didn't change my opinion. and again, the title is merely just to get people into the thread. cheap sensationalism, but effective. plus OD is 99.9% of the time the pedal used to compliment an amp, and thats not what i was talking about, I knew those were used frequently and effectively. And I'm wondering if you would even consider the TS SRV uses to be distortion? isn't it more or less tube-overdrive emulation?
Page 1 of 2