Hey guys,

EDIT: Recently, I've been looking at the Blackheart Handsome Devil "Halfstack" with the "Harley Benton G212 Vintage" cab, as suggested. (thanks!) Opinions?

I'm going through the dilemma of buying a new amp, and I want to get it right.

I've been looking at the "Peavey Valveking 112", "Crate V-18 212", "Peavey Windsor", "Blackheart HT-5"(Not loud enough for my needs though ) (as well as a lot of other amps.)

• I would like it to be a Tube amp, although I'm happy to go for a good solid state
  • Budget: £350
  • I play mainly older stuff, Pink Floyd, Rush, Led Zep, Bit of Metallica
  • Needs to be loud enough for band practise and small venues
  • Looks for a nice clean, full sound, with a crunchy overdrive (Could invest in pedal)

I'm looking for suggestions, and feelings about these amps.

Thanks in advance
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Aug 18, 2009,
The V18 won't have enough gain for Metallica on its own, and its overdrive is pretty dark. If you're interested in modding it, you could turn it into a Soldano SLO, though, which would pretty much be perfect. The Windsor has no clean channel, so you'd be forced to use your volume knob to get cleans, which wouldn't be "clean cleans".

The Valveking would be a good choice if you do the following:

1. Buy it used
2. Invest in a new speaker
3. EQ pedal
4. Maybe an overdrive pedal

Otherwise I'd see if you could get a Peavey Classic 30. The Hayden Mofo would do you well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The V18 won't have enough gain for Metallica on its own, and its overdrive is pretty dark. If you're interested in modding it, you could turn it into a Soldano SLO, though, which would pretty much be perfect. The Windsor has no clean channel, so you'd be forced to use your volume knob to get cleans, which wouldn't be "clean cleans".

The Valveking would be a good choice if you do the following:

1. Buy it used
2. Invest in a new speaker
3. EQ pedal
4. Maybe an overdrive pedal

Otherwise I'd see if you could get a Peavey Classic 30. The Hayden Mofo would do you well.

Thanks for that, but bear in mind that I hardly ever play Metallica, so that's not really a must for me.

I don't think I'll be able to buy anything used though, my parents won't drive me to places to collect stuff!

Thanks anyway, you don't think the valveking would be a good choice even without the speaker swap?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I would go with the Valveking. You get a nice clean and overdrive. As said before, the Crate will need to be boosted and the Windsor is only one channel; but can be EQ'd to get a clean. If I were to buy the Valveking, i'd buy the head version, because it's cheaper then the 212 combo, and that gives you an option to experiment with different cabs in the future.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by blue_strat
Another £50 will get you a Laney VC30 112.

This.. Fantastic amps, the VC range.
Quote by CeeJay08
This.. Fantastic amps, the VC range.

After doing a bit of research on it, it does looks like a good amp.

Could I have some details?

Thanks.

EDIT: Reviews say the amp is unreliable, that's a big downfall for me.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Aug 16, 2009,
Well, I've only played one for maybe 30 minutes or so, tbh it reminded me a lot of playing an AC-30, it's drive channel is more an overdrive than a solid distortion, so it sounds pretty great when you push it with a tubescreamer, or whatever, great cleans too, with an equalizer and an overdrive pedal, it's so versatile, I love the bright switch on it too, especially for cleans, makes them really punchy :P
^^ This, and I really think it's every bit as reliable as all the other valve amps in that price range
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
After doing a bit of research on it, it does looks like a good amp.

Could I have some details?

Thanks.

EDIT: Reviews say the amp is unreliable, that's a big downfall for me.

Mine was incredibly unreliable, I got so fed up with it that I just sold it in favour of an SS amp. Shame, because it was absolutely fantastic.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Thanks Peter, that looks like a very nice amp, a bit worried about a lack of volume though...

I want headroom for clean sounds.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Thanks Peter, that looks like a very nice amp, a bit worried about a lack of volume though...

I want headroom for clean sounds.

You should get enough of clean volume
I'm using an amp-stand
and you always can mic it up to PA

Peter
no real need to worry about that worst case you get a different cab, those little class a amps crank out alot of noise
~Defiant~
Okay, I really like the handsome devil, what would you say about getting the "half stack" version?

And if that's any good (reviews say it's absolutely fantastic), which cab?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
The matching cab is good for the Handsome Devil, but www.thomann.de do a 2x12 cab withc Celestion Vintage 30's for about £155 which is a good deal. They are a massive German warehouse, but they ship Europe wide and delivery over £100 is free.
You mean this? http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as the amp has "1 x 16 ohm jack, 2 x 8 ohm jacks", I would just plug it into an 8ohm jack because it's 120w into 8ohms? I'm sure I read something like that on UG.

Also, what's the difference between the "Harley Benton G212 Vintage" and the "Harley Benton G212", apart from the speakers, although I don't even think they mentioned the speakers in the "non-vintage" one.

Thanks.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Aug 17, 2009,
Peavey Classic 30

/thread
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Peavey Classic 30

/thread

It costs around £500.

I disagree with your "/thread"
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
not used it doesnt
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

I said in an above post it would be hard to go used, my parents won't want to drive me anywhere

I'm really interested in the Blackheart, could I have some more opinions please?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
pick one up on the bay then
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Can't, it's pretty much impossible to send one of these things, costs a lot.

Guys, opinions on the Blackheart? thanks.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Something that might interest you ampwise, for £350. Epiphone Blues Custom.
2x12", all tube. You might love it.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination