Hey everyone,

I am wondering what the best way to plug my guitar into my computer in order to record music. The way I do it now is by using the line-out from my amp and plug that into the mic jack of my computer. I wonder if this compromises quality, and if there is a better way.

Do I need a custom sound card? A pre-amp?

thanks in advance.
if u have a line out on ur amp, then ur all set. u just need a recording program like audacity or reaper, and ur done.

the only other way that might prove slightly better, is to mic ur amp cabinet and use a digital interface to ur computer.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
lineout from amp in mic input pc made my amp blew its fuses. never gnna try again
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
i mic mine with a verry crappy mic and it works ok , well good enough for me which is for basic riff recording to send to other band members. but i use abelton live 8 as my recording programme and its fantastic
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
if you have an analogue input on your sound card and recording software, i think that will work. Don't take it from me though, I'm no expert.
I recorded Breathe on my profile that way, but now I use an interface from Guitar Rig.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.