I recently ran my tube amp head (B-52 AT-100) unknowingly without a load for about a half an hour.

The amp still produces sound, but if you run an amp without a load and it still works, are the components inside damaged and is the sound worsened/quieted by this?

I actually did play through it. This time I had my head hooked to a THD Hotplate set on load and the line out of the amp connected to a pair of computer speakers for recording, but I forgot to connect the Hotplate to the back of my amp. I played through it for about a half an hour. Yikes!
"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Aug 16, 2009,
do u notice any difference in the sound quality? if not, good, just dont do it again
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Did you just turn it on, or did you actually plug your guitar your guitar in and play it? If you didn't plug anything in and play, it may be fine if you're lucky.
It's not good for it, but it's not usually going to flat-out fry it. Might blow a fuse though.

Obviously you weren't playing it at the time, so it should be okay. Usually problems are caused by attempted to actually play an amp without a load.
Quote by Mitchell?
Did you just turn it on, or did you actually plug your guitar your guitar in and play it? If you didn't plug anything in and play, it may be fine if you're lucky.

I actually did play through it. This time I had my head hooked to a THD Hotplate set on load and the line out of the amp connected to a pair of computer speakers for recording, but I forgot to connect the Hotplate to the back of my amp. I played through it for about a half an hour. Yikes!
"teh most gains"
Well, if it works and sounds ok, consider yourself lucky.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
How the hell did you play it without a load?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^Sounds like using the lineout to computer speakers. I'm extremely surprised you didn't at least blow your tubes. The sound problems you're hearing might be from you wrecking the tubes from running the amp with no load. Swap out your power tubes and see if you notice an improvement in tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not