Whats the deal with them?

How do i connect up to them and do i need a pre-amp or just the pickup?

BAsically I'd really like to know about them, as I'm considering purchasing a pickup for my acoustic, but don't know anything about them!!!

Many thanks,

db
well there's several types. There are soundhole pickups which ya kinda just clamp on the edges of your soundhole. a lot of people seem to like the Dean Markley ones the best when it comes to that. I for one absolutely hate them all and the fact that most are passive. in this case you would be best off purchasing an external pre-amp pedal like the LR Baggs Para DI or the BBE acoustimax.

then there are under the saddle transducer setups. take a quess where most of the magic happens here....thats right UNDER THE SADDLE. You dont wanna install this yourself. take it to a tech who knows how to cut into the body of guitars and install these things because chances are you're gonna mess it up. These typically come with a pre-amp as well so you wont need an external one. Fishman, LR baggs, and the K&K are some to look at here.

then the third type is similar to the UST, but I forgot what its called specifically and how it even works so i wont bother expaining that one.

there is also the Taylor Expression system, which is a bit dfferent than all of these. It uses magnetic pickups (in the neck I believe?) and 1 or 2 soundboard sensors to pick up vibrations from your guitar. This system is my personal favorite. Some people dont like the ES, but I think its great once you use an external EQ or mixing board to take some of the mid-range out. then it sounds very natural. its expensive though. $500 dollars wil get you a complete retrofit of their system, but idk if they even offer that for non-taylor guitars. no external pre-amp necessary.

basically, if it requires a battery to function it will be an active system and will not require an external pre-amp
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
^ Er... Let's just clear some things up. That's not quite right. A Taylor Expression System isn't a new type of pickup, lol.

A "transducer" is defined as a device, usually electrical, electronic, electro-mechanical, electromagnetic, photonic, or photovoltaic, that converts one type of energy or physical attribute to another. So, a transducer in our case of acoustic pickups, is something that converts the physical movement of the strings and converts them into sounds.

There are 3 types of transducers.

1. Microphones.
Mics use a diaphragm(in many cases a sort of paper) to detect movements in the air. It creates an electronic signal and reproduces the sound though a speaker. That's the most basic description of how it works

2. Magnetic Pickups.
These pickups create a magnetic field. When the strings vibrate and disturb the field, it produces an electronic signal that then reproduces a sound out of the speaker system.

3. Piezo.
A piezo works on the basis of vibrations physically moving a little piezo crystal that then produces an electronic signal that is reproduced to become a sound. This is your general UST(under saddle transducer) kind of pickup.

To clear up...
The Taylor expression system isn't different at all. It just combines 2 types of these pickup systems. It has a neck magnetic pickup and two piezo pickups, if I'm not mistaken.

There are Passive and Active pickups.

Passive
The signal will be weak, so you will need a preamp to strengthen the signal to an acceptable level in order to use it to it's full potential.

Active
The pickup already has a built-in preamp, so you can just plug in the system and play.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You missed one...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11995926&postcount=4

That's a post I made a couple years back that discusses the three kinds of transducers (I left microphones out). The information is still valid. If you're installing it aftermarket, belt clip preamps are probably the easiest. This is a good one -- http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-Gigpro-Acoustic-Guitar-Preamp?sku=307107

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
^ My bad!

The soundboard transducers still use the same operating principles as the UST piezo though, right?
Equipment:

Yes. They just replicate the natural tone a bit better because they are actually on the soundboard. Feedback can be a big issue though...so for permanent installs, I'd probably recommend one of the systems that blends it with an UST pickup.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Okay, so it seems to me that for my needs (well, wants) a soundhole pick-up would be the best option.

Am I correct in the belief that as such i won't require a pre-amp? Or am I being naieve again?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dean_markley_pro_mag_sc1.htm

Like that?

I'm probably being extremely dim here, but how would one connect it to the amp then?

thanks,

db
You WILL want a preamp for that one. It's a passive system, so the signal isn't very strong. You CAN use it without a preamp, but it won't sound that great.

To hook it up, just plug the cable into the amp. If you buy an external preamp it'll go...
pickup --> preamp --> amplifier.
Equipment:

Aaaah okay thankyou. Are preamps that expensive?

I thought you just plugged it in, but wanted to be 100% on that.

Thanks again,

db
most of the good ones are about $150 and up. heres a few

LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI/preamp

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-Para-Acoustic-DI?sku=307160

BBE Acoustimax

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Acoustimax-Sonic-Maximizer-Preamp-Pedal?sku=157031

Taylor K4

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1150&categoryid=1011&page=1

these are probably the only ones I would consider buying and Im leaning heavily towards the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI because of its price, reviews, and size. Although if I had $500 just laying around I would get the K4 in a heartbeat

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by roamingbard13
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-Gigpro-Acoustic-Guitar-Preamp?sku=307107

LR Baggs Gigpro Preamp?

Any reason you don't like this one? I know it's not as fancy as those, but it's a more affordable and very convenient.

I've honestly never heard of that one, thats why I didnt list it. That looks really interesting though, I like the idea of clipping it somewhere. maybe not to my belt, but somehwere on stage witin arms reach without having to bend down during a song. Im gonna keep that one in mind before I buy anything.

TS, this one and its price might be more to your liking

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce