as the title says, what are the best cables to uses that are low capacitance and wont suck the SH!T out of ur tone??
and not any of those 3000$ cables a saw in a thread a while back

im only askin cos i use some no name cables, but i dont mind cos my amp is crappy anyway.
but since im gettin a new amp i need some good cables
thanks for the help
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
I think Monster are pretty okay.
Sending a dummy to my God.

thoughts on dimarzios?
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Take a look at this.

Now I know not every cable is as good as the next, I've had some that basically fell apart after 6 months. But you shouldn't buy an expensive one thinking you'll get better sound quality.
I use Monster and only Monster.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Monster are a devious, nasty, scheming company who make a mediocre, massively overpriced product.

Planet Waves are fine. FOr 90% of players 'tone suck' from cables is irrelevant anyway.

IF you want very high quality though, George L's cables are exceleent.
Monster cables are pretty good. Most of them have lifetime warranties. My friend broke his recently and all he had to do was take it to GC and he got another one free.
i wsnt looking at really expensive cables
just somethin under 25$ that wouldnt destroy my tone, and not break soon

but after reading Chuckles' link, i think that ill just get like a planet waves or somethin
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Not that it makes any considerable difference. I've got Hot Line and it's sweet.
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
There a few good brands out there, I'll share my experience but I really suggest you try a few different brands if possible, cable is a huge element of your tone.

The most important factors to consider are capacitance, cable length (which again affects capacitance) and how the cable is insulated. Decreasing the capacitance will help cut some of the "spongier" mid-range frequencies from your tone, but if you the capacitance is extemely low (as is the case in some really high end cable), you might find that you get too much of a mid-range cut, an effect comparable to using a wireless system or using EMG pickups, wherre there is no capacitance in the cables.

As for insulation, I've found the a less insulated cable has a sweeter high end, but can be susceptible to noise.

Most people I know are using Planet Waves cable, I've never really been impressed by it, but it's usually very easy to find, comes with a nice warranty, and the switch to mute for noiseless instrument changes can be very convenient.

I tried Monster but I didn't like it, it sounded no better than the Planet Waves cable I had been using, and costed quite alot more.

Mogami is very nice, well worth considering.

I've been using George L's 155s for awhile now. They sound very nice, but they're barely insulated at all, they can be a little bit noisy. I tried the 255, but I didn't think it sounded as good, so I continued with the 155s.

The nicest cable I've tried was an Evidence cable, really a great cable, but very pricy. I found that the bass was nice and tight, and that high notes sounded a little fatter.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Livewire is decent in quality and price, lifetime warranty. Its what i use.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
the best most expensive company i can think of is mogami. i personally prefer monsters though.
CBI cables. once you go quality, you never go back.

addendum: expensive isnt the ticket here, folks. TS - have you looked into making your own cables? buying cable in bulk-ish amounts and great jacks is a rather simple undertaking. and if you can solder something worth half-a-damn, you're set.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Aug 16, 2009,
^This. I use George L 255 cable and switch craft jacks. I have two patch cables, a 5 foot cable (roughly) and a ten foot cable (roughly) and a ~2 footer for reamping. 8 jacks was like 25 bucks, the cable was 30-40? All in all, not bad for 55-65 bucks or so.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by kyle62
Monster are a devious, nasty, scheming company who make a mediocre, massively overpriced product.

And that is your opinion (and you are entitled to it, of course ).

IMO Monster are the best cables out there. I've tried other brands and to my ears Monster provides a better, clearer tone than other brands. I personally think they are worth the money.
Have you tried Ls? Just curious.

Also, using shorter cables goes a long way towards getting a clearer sound.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by i_am_metalhead
And that is your opinion (and you are entitled to it, of course ).

IMO Monster are the best cables out there. I've tried other brands and to my ears Monster provides a better, clearer tone than other brands. I personally think they are worth the money.

Fair point, but there's a lot of evidence to support the theory!

List of court cases involving Monster Cable

Monster Cable sues Disney for 'Monsters, Inc'

http://gizmodo.com/tag/monster-cable/

http://consumerist.com/353938/monster-cables-monster-ripoff-80-markups

http://gizmodo.com/5216773/engadgets-monster-cable-endorsement-monster-cable-sucks

Entertaining stuff, and that's not the half of it
I would go with George L's since they are such high quality and are extremely easy to change lengths incase you need to change cables or a pedalboard configuration
LOL, I love how we've got multiple articles explaing the science behind why all brands should sound the same, and people still post thinking they can hear a difference. I once recorded through a Monster Rock, Live Wire, Radio Shack, Musicians Gear, Pro Co, and some other generic cables to see if I could hear anything. Live or on recording, they all sounded the same. There's only 3 big differences that matter to me: durability, flexibility, and price. Honestly, the way monsters fall to the ground due to their thickness is obnoxious and I trip over mine all the time.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
LOL, I love how we've got multiple articles explaing the science behind why all brands should sound the same, and people still post thinking they can hear a difference.

Those articles are incomplete, they mention the resistivity of the copper in the cable and the cable length being the determining factors in the tone. Unfortunately, they fail to accomodate for the capacitance in the cable, and how the cable is insulated. Those, and precisely those, are the reasons that different cables sound different.

There are also other reasons that some people don't hear a significant difference, not least among them being that their amps and pickups are not responsive enough to make the differences obvious. Another being how much is in the signal chain. It's unlikely that you'll notice the difference cable makes if you have many effects in your signal chain (even if they are not active, unless they are true bypass they will affect signal strength, and they will colour the sound).

It's also been stated by many physicists who are unfamiliar with electric guitars that the body wood of an electric guitar has no effect on the amplified tone, however, under analysis significant differences have been found.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Those articles are incomplete, they mention the resistivity of the copper in the cable and the cable length being the determining factors in the tone. Unfortunately, they fail to accomodate for the capacitance in the cable, and how the cable is insulated. Those, and precisely those, are the reasons that different cables sound different.

There are also other reasons that some people don't hear a significant difference, not least among them being that their amps and pickups are not responsive enough to make the differences obvious. Another being how much is in the signal chain. It's unlikely that you'll notice the difference cable makes if you have many effects in your signal chain (even if they are not active, unless they are true bypass they will affect signal strength, and they will colour the sound).

It's also been stated by many physicists who are unfamiliar with electric guitars that the body wood of an electric guitar has no effect on the amplified tone, however, under analysis significant differences have been found.

as much as i can agree with the rest, the bold part just doesnt sit well. even if you have all true-bypass pedals, you will still get some coloration in your tone. think about it - how much uninsulated/poorly insulated/high gauge/high capacitance wiring is your signal traveling though with more than one true-bypass pedal?
Quote by Skierinanutshel
as much as i can agree with the rest, the bold part just doesnt sit well. even if you have all true-bypass pedals, you will still get some coloration in your tone. think about it - how much uninsulated/poorly insulated/high gauge/high capacitance wiring is your signal traveling though with more than one true-bypass pedal?

Oh, maybe that wasn't clear.

"unless they are true bypass they will affect signal strength, and they will colour the sound."

What I meant was, that unless your pedals are true bypass, you will notice significant decrease in signal strength even when they are inactive, and that they will colour the tone regardless.

I probably should have phrased that "even if they are not active they will colour the sound, and unless they are true bypass they will affect signal strength." The position of the comma is misleading in the original post.
getting better, however true bypass will still effect signal strength (as that is a part of "tone coloration")

addendum: i'm not saying you're wrong though. i still think that true bypass is better than not (unless we are talking a good quality buffer here), i'm just wanting to clarify things to the most possible for some people who are viewing the thread. signal strength isnt really noticeably weakened until you have a decent chain going (6 if you are paying attention, possibly 5.....very, very faint at 4). y'know, getting the facts out
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Aug 16, 2009,
I can't believe nobody suggested you check out lavacable.com yet. They mostly have higher-end cables, but there are also some more affordable good cables available from them. Plus Mark has some of the best customer service ever.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
getting better, however true bypass will still effect signal strength (as that is a part of "tone coloration")

True, but minimally, provided it's a good true bypass (ie a good switch, I've tried a few pedals where it was barely noticeable.)

Also, I'm trying to convince somebody that cable has an effect on tone. I really doubt he'll believe that the switch that hardwires a pedal out of a signal chain affects tone...
Monster cables in my opinion are awesome. Plus, most (if not all to my knowledge) come with a lifetime warranty as stated earlier. I got one on sale from MF a few weeks back. 21 foot for $19. I thought that was a pretty good deal.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
monster. plenty of people here hate them, but they last forever, and if they do break, you get a new one for free. They have the least noise and least tone suck out of anything i've tried. I actually use planet waves cables because they were buy 1 get one free on mf. i think they are still. Very good cables. Been using the same 2 cables for 2 years and no signs of wear on them.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
here's an article I found interesting. similar to whats been said in some of these posts and links.

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/guitar_cords/

of course, no matter what the science behind it is, people with those supposed golden ears will always tell you they hear something that you dont hear.

the only advanage I see is that some brands offer lifetime warranties. sure they charge more, but that cheap cable if its treated wrong (lets face it, gigging musicians especially step on cords all the time) will have to be replace and paid for several times a year
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Stay away from planet waves and fender. They've always crapped out on me in no time at all.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
What have you guys heard/think about Bullet cables? I want one because it looked like a good cable not just the ends.

I want a $40 30' Red coiled cable.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Canare GH-6 + Neutrik connectors
Evidence Audio
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.