I'm just wondering of any ideas you have of making my SG's headstock not hit the floor the moment i let go of my neck :/
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
you could carve out the headstock, i thought of doing that even though it would look terrible, or attatch something to the body somehow.
Get a thick, heavy, good strap. 'Nuff said.

Short of lining the control cavities with lead, or some serious material removal at the headstock, the aforementioned guitar upholding device is your best bet dude.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by britishsligean
maybe add some weight

No, really?

Not to be a dick but it's best if your help is at least somewhat helpful...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I was thinking add some weight, its just the only place i can think is the control cavity and i dont wanna stuff something in there :/
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
I have this (the bomber) strap on my guitar.
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
Go set yourself up with 3 inches thick of genuine leather, and tell me how that goes.

(Here's a hint: it will go very well.)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^ This. It worked wonders on my friend's SG knockoff.

Btw, you can really see the asymmetry of the SG in that pic.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Yeah for the longest time I thought they were symmetrical... then I bought one .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
add a small sandbag onto the strap at the end
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Yeah for the longest time I thought they were symmetrical... then I bought one .

shame on you.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by RDX1138
I was thinking add some weight, its just the only place i can think is the control cavity and i dont wanna stuff something in there :/

i've heard of people wrapping up lead fishing weights and tucking them in there.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
Quote by sneakerpimp
i've heard of people wrapping up lead fishing weights and tucking them in there.

The average river weight is 2 - 5 ounces... not really enough to make a big difference in balance.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
You could get some weights, or a big heavy strap, or...

put a Bigsby on it. That will add some weight, and it looks way cooler than having fishing weights hanging off of your strap. Plus, it adds to the guitar playability wise.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
Quote by Albino_Rhino
The average river weight is 2 - 5 ounces... not really enough to make a big difference in balance.

...and yet you mentioned removing material at the headstock? I hope you (and the other people) were joking about that one.

Originally posted by blindsagacity
^ This. It worked wonders on my friend's SG knockoff.

Btw, you can really see the asymmetry of the SG in that pic.

Lefty SG's always seem to have longer top horn.Seriously I looked at mine in a mirror and sure enough the top horn looks bigger.I wish all righties looked the same aswell.

As for neck heaviness,I already had a thick leather strap and straplocks and they greatly helped,but I also moved the strap button onto the horn.Now I can let go of it and it stays still.But even before I moved the strap button I had pretty much gotten used to it,so it wasn't that big a deal.Adding a bigsby would also help.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I like the Bigsby idea, and I'll definately get a leather strap, but do you think a stetsbar would weigh it down as much as a Bigsby or not enough?
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
Quote by fitzyfantastic
You could get some weights, or a big heavy strap, or...

put a Bigsby on it. That will add some weight, and it looks way cooler than having fishing weights hanging off of your strap. Plus, it adds to the guitar playability wise.

Bigbsy is a good idea, lateral thinking right there!
Quote by Pikka Bird
...and yet you mentioned removing material at the headstock? I hope you (and the other people) were joking about that one.

Yeah, cause I was totally being serious .

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Get a thick, heavy, good strap. 'Nuff said.

Short of lining the control cavities with lead, or some serious material removal at the headstock, the aforementioned guitar upholding device is your best bet dude.

Someone really needs to find an effective method of conveying sarcasm over the internet...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Yeah, cause I was totally being serious .

Someone really needs to find an effective method of conveying sarcasm over the internet...

Yeah, I guess someone should get on that, because those two ideas were far from the most ludicrous ones I've read on here, including the serious ones.
i think sarcasm symbol should be "~" on either side of sarcastic text
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by RDX1138
I like the Bigsby idea, and I'll definately get a leather strap, but do you think a stetsbar would weigh it down as much as a Bigsby or not enough?

Stetsbar would weigh it down more than a Bigsby, plus they seem pretty cool. I say go for it, if you've got $225 to spend.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
You culd potentially(if you realllly wanted) route out an area in the back and put some lead shot in there and pack styrofome or paper around it to keep it from moving.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by divinorum69
I think you meant mass, not weight.

On Earth they're the same thing.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by bv310
Stetsbar would weigh it down more than a Bigsby, plus they seem pretty cool. I say go for it, if you've got $225 to spend.

stetsbar or a bigsby wont do a lick of damage to the laws of physics. it'll still suffer from neckdive because you have one mass of weight further away from the the pivot point.

the problem isnt neck dive, it's strap slide. if the strap doesnt slide on your shoulder (like those cheapo nylon/polyester one tend to do) the neck wont dive. simple as that. basically the answer is grip/friction.
Quote by Gibshall
On Earth they're the same thing.

Only because we use Earth as a reference point.
Quote by end_citizen
Move the lower strap button closer to the top of the guitar.

This is the best thing to do.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by noisefarmer

the problem isnt neck dive, it's strap slide. if the strap doesnt slide on your shoulder (like those cheapo nylon/polyester one tend to do) the neck wont dive. simple as that. basically the answer is grip/friction.

if the strap doesn't slide on your shoulder, it will take your shirt with it, which doesn't stop the diving.
Quote by TjerG
if the strap doesn't slide on your shoulder, it will take your shirt with it, which doesn't stop the diving.

If it takes the shirt with it, your clothes are too big for you.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by RJackson at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by RJackson
If it takes the shirt with it, your clothes are too big for you.

well, actually not. but my SG(G400) dives down every time, I have a leather strap and my clothes are not too big
I did'nt mean to say that my shirt comes down to the ground, but a little bit and then the guitar continues to slide down
Last edited by TjerG at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by noisefarmer
stetsbar or a bigsby wont do a lick of damage to the laws of physics. it'll still suffer from neckdive because you have one mass of weight further away from the the pivot point.

^+1.
Ok I actually own an SG-400 and let me tell you a thick strap doesnt help a lick. What you need to do it move the strap pin to the horn. thats the only way i see it solving the neck dive problem. Also, the epiphone sg's are notorious for this problem and as far as I know the real Gibsons are not nearly as bad. Its the cheaper wood they use
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
I found that using a thick leather strap always did the trick. Also, looks cool as hell.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay