Would it be possible to take the preamp out a combo amp, and put it into an amp head 'shell' so to speak, ie an amp head with the preamp taken out?

Obviously, it would read upside down. But would it work?:P
Schecter C-1 Classic (BKP Painkillers)
Schecter Tempest Custom EMG 81/85)
Jackson DK2M
Boss: Ge-7, DD-7, RV-5, NS-2, SD-1
MXR: KFK 10 Band EQ, Dynacomp, Stereo Chorus
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
many combo amps have a line out that can be run into a cab
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
It was more for the convenience of only having to carry a head, the combo weighs a ton lol.
Jackson DK2M
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
In theory it should work to put the wires connecting to the speaker element and make an output of it, but i can imagine this being easier said than done, you'll probably have to do a lot of work to get it to fit in a head.
Quote by sdmf.1919
It was more for the convenience of only having to carry a head, the combo weighs a ton lol.

i see, well they put the preamp in there at the factory, so theres gotta be a way to get it back out. i dont know anything about electronics though, so i cant help u there, but there r tons of UGers who r good with that stuff, look in an amp mod thread or something and PM someone who seems to know a lot about it.
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
You have one what? Am empty head casing? or a 333xl? lol
Jackson DK2M
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Quote by sdmf.1919
Would it be possible to take the preamp out a combo amp, and put it into an amp head 'shell' so to speak, ie an amp head with the preamp taken out?

Obviously, it would read upside down. But would it work?:P

This really doesn't make sense. You can convert a amplifier from a combo to head but it would include all electronics as it would be next to impossible to separate the pre-amp from the power amp.(they use the same power transformer/supplies and chassis). You sinmply remove the chassis and mount in it a cabinet that you make for it. It doesn't have to be upside down either, just hand the chaissis from the top of the cab like it is in the combo!
Moving on.....
Quote by wicket_nirvana
i see, well they put the preamp in there at the factory, so theres gotta be a way to get it back out. i dont know anything about electronics though, so i cant help u there, but there r tons of UGers who r good with that stuff, look in an amp mod thread or something and PM someone who seems to know a lot about it.

That was the idea behind making this thread bro
:P
Jackson DK2M
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Quote by wicket_nirvana
many combo amps have a line out that can be run into a cab

Line out won't drive a speaker, it's basically 1-2VRMS and needs a power amp.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
This really doesn't make sense. You can convert a amplifier from a combo to head but it would include all electronics as it would be next to impossible to separate the pre-amp from the power amp.(they use the same power transformer/supplies and chassis). You sinmply remove the chassis and mount in it a cabinet that you make for it. It doesn't have to be upside down either, just hand the chaissis from the top of the cab like it is in the combo!

I think I understand what you mean.
I'd remove the whole preamp, from the combo cabinet, and put it in a head casing, that would work?

Edit: or is the power amp something to do with the cab?
Jackson DK2M
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Do you mean you want to remove the 'amp' bit from your combo? So you're left with a head and a cab?

Because the pre amp and the power amp are both parts of the amp it self.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Do you mean you want to remove the 'amp' bit from your combo? So you're left with a head and a cab?

Because the pre amp and the power amp are both parts of the amp it self.

Yeah lol, thats exactly what I mean:P
I want to take the amp out of the combo cabinet, and put it into a head with whatever was in it before, taken out. Or build one.
Jackson DK2M
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Yeah that's possible. Loads of people over at GB&C have done it, I think there might be a tutorial on how to do it, too. Make a thread over there about it..