Poll: Do you LOVE Metallica?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you LOVE Metallica?
YES! THEY WILL ALWAYS REMAIN!
131 78%
No, can't stand good music
18 11%
I don't know anything, who is Metallica?
19 11%
Voters: 168.
Page 1 of 2
Hey again. Before I begin, let me say this: METALLICA RULE!
Ok now thats out of the way. Who agrees with me?

I am in a band, and I want us to learn some Metallica songs. We haven't been playing together for long (1 practise lol), so we need to start of easy. What are some good songs to start off with, with easy/no solo. Metallica rule man, I just love 'em!
Not sure if they have solos but battery, sanitarium, and enter sandman don't sound too difficult.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Not sure if they have solos but battery, sanitarium, and enter sandman don't sound too difficult.

these all have solos. i'd go with for whom the bell tolls as your best bet.
nothing else matters check out the load and reload songs like hero of the day and until it sleeps cause kirk started doin easy solos for those two albums
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
st anger has little to no solos although people think it's not their best album i quite like it
Quote by DKMfreak410
nothing else matters check out the load and reload songs like hero of the day and until it sleeps cause kirk started doin easy solos for those two albums

nothing else matters is one of the hardest metalica songs to learsn and it has atleas 3 solos in it although 2 are not realy noticed
Quote by britishsligean
st anger has little to no solos although people think it's not their best album i quite like it

Bro, this is NOTHING personal. I don't like St. Anger, but I do like "Some Kind of Monster"

Thanks man.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
these all have solos. i'd go with for whom the bell tolls as your best bet.

Metal, are they hard solos, or what? I don't mind if they have solos, so long as they're not hard/fast. "Hero of the Day" I just listened to. Love it.
People around are obviously lacking a clue. If you are looking for an easy Metallica tune to being with, stay away from Battery. It's one of the fastest Metallica songs with a difficult solo, not the best one to start off with.
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is a fairly complex song, with four different solos - the first one is an easy one indeed, the other three would require a little bit of practise if you want to play them accurately.
Enter Sandman is a fairly easy song, and as far as the solo is concerned... well, I can play it alright, but I keep making mistakes. You might want to listen to the song and judge it yourself.
For Whom The Bell Tolls, as many mentioned above, is probably one of the easiest Metallica songs to play, with no solo (although on live shows Kirk's usually fooling around with wah at the end).
The Memory Remains doesn't have a solo per se either. Thorn Within has a very short and very easy little solo, you might want to look into that. The solo from the Unforgiven II isn't that hard either.
Quote by dNWaKE
tornado of souls?

Dunno if you are trying to be funny, or are just plain clueless. To clarify though, Tornado of Souls is a song by Megadeth (and a pretty damn good one at that).
Quote by Boxxxed
Nothing Else Matters is what you are looking for

That has like 2 or 3 solos. For whom the bells toll is your best bet.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by TheBlackened
Dunno if you are trying to be funny, or are just plain clueless. To clarify though, Tornado of Souls is a song by Megadeth (and a pretty damn good one at that).

He was joking. Tornado of souls is mostly a massive solo anyway.

But yeah, definately for whom the bell tolls. Its their easiest. If you want still easy, but with a solo, I'd go with enter sandman if you can handle it.
Wasting My Hate. Probably the heaviest song from Load and has no solo. Pretty straightforward, too. Until It Sleeps is also an easy one.

If you are practising, then why not learn the first solo to MoP, Nothing Else Matters and try some of the licks from the Load/Reload albums. e.g. The Memory Remains doesn't really have a solo, it's more of a few licks "dressed up".
Jackson PDX Demmelition w/ EMG 81/85
Vintage Lemon Drop w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Dean Z Bubinga w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Blackstar HT-5 combo
Last edited by Rargh at Aug 17, 2009,
yes, we don't like 'good' music that uses the same time signature and key in every song, same vocal style and themes for lyrics. sorry for my ignorance to 'good' music

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
To be fair, you should just play one with a solo in it. I used to find metallica solos hard when I first started, but because I've learned so many metallica songs whilst learning guitar, I find them all so easy now. This is probably mainly because Kirk seems to just use the e minor pentatonic and occasionally put some notes of the e-minor in and often uses similar positions too.

So what I'm saying is when you've got one, the others will become easy to learn. As an example, I learned orion the other day; in a day, and this is one that I would have considered difficult when I started.
go for

nothing else matters (easy solo)
enter sandman (kinda hard solo but the song isnt to hard.)
i dissapiere (spelling? btw very easy solo)
for whom the bell tolls ( a small solo but just skip it if you want to) (dont skip the solo riff in the beginning cause you can learn that)
Fade To Black has quite a few riffs in it, so you could probably omit the solos if you wanted.
Other than "For Whom the Bell Tolls", your going to just have to leave the solos out.

Try:
Seek & Destroy
Whiplash
Harvester of Sorrow
Anything from St. Anger or FWtBT

Why did you bother to put the poll in??
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Like everyone else has said, if you're really set on playing a song without a solo, go with For Whom The Bell Tolls. But really, you should at least try some of the songs with easier solos eg. Enter Sandman, Wherever I May Roam, The Unforgiven (I and II). Actually, now that I think about it, most of the Black Album's solos are pretty straight-forward, just hammer on the wah and you'll be half way there..

Consider learning something like Fade To Black in the long run, has really good sounding riffs and solos that will help you improve.

/longish post.

METALLICA!
My Gear
Schecter Revenger
Some old Marshall practice amp
Zoom G2.1Nu
Vox Satchurator
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby

Every day sends future to past
Every step brings me closer to my last

Quote by GuitarNinja12

Battery is damn hard if you can't gallop.
Bleeding Me, I really like that song for some reason. The solo is pretty basic, just some pentatonic noodling with wah poored all over it. The Unforgiven would probably be fairly easy too.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by TheBlackened

Don't feed the troll
Quote by pettah93
go for

nothing else matters (easy solo)
enter sandman (kinda hard solo but the song isnt to hard.)
i dissapiere (spelling? btw very easy solo)
for whom the bell tolls ( a small solo but just skip it if you want to) (dont skip the solo riff in the beginning cause you can learn that)

Kind of hard
Horrible
Horrible
Yes
Quote by blackjack68
Other than "For Whom the Bell Tolls", your going to just have to leave the solos out.

Try:
Seek & Destroy
Whiplash
Harvester of Sorrow

+1
I'm a crappy player and play the rhythm to those.

My personal favs at the moment are:
Ride the Lightning
And Justice for All
Harvester of Sorrow
Welcome Home (Sanatarium)

Metallica riffs are like crack to me. They are simple and catchy and the reason I wanted to pick up a guitar in the first place. I am trying to devote less time to them lately and play some of my other favs like Maiden, Megadeth and Priest but I keep coming back to the well
Call of Ktulu
but no seriously, I recommend Enter Sandman or For Whom the Bell tolls
Most suggestions so far are good. Although it is not too fast/hard Nothing Else Matters is a fairly complex song and perhaps not the best for you guys to play. If people in your band can back up sing perhaps you should also try Die Die Darling(originally by the Misfits). Otherwise go for Enter Sandman or For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Last edited by Msword7 at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by Ghold125
A Metallica song with no solo, hmm. For Whom The Bell Tolls, possibly?

other than intro bass solo
Quote by TheFingerling
Lol Metalhead_28. Sound kinda empty tho rite?
If you leave out Solos. Maybe...

Well then just turn on the wah pedal and fake it. Kirk can't really play the solos either.
Quote by TheFingerling
Hey again. Before I begin, let me say this: METALLICA RULE!
Ok now thats out of the way. Who agrees with me?

I am in a band, and I want us to learn some Metallica songs. We haven't been playing together for long (1 practise lol), so we need to start of easy. What are some good songs to start off with, with easy/no solo. Metallica rule man, I just love 'em!

wow youre such a gaywad.

Youre all over metallica's nuts but you cant think of any simple/no solo songs that they have?

****ing poser

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Page 1 of 2