I am looking for some good headphones. I need them for recording/monitoring. I have studio monitors but I need something for silent recording/editing. Currently I am using a logitech headset lol...

I am looking for around ear headphones. Budget is less than $100 I guess

What you got?
I use some Skull Candy headphones for my recording...they do a nice job.
Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning.
- George W. Bush
You can't mix on cans.

FACT (almost anyway..).

Beyerdynamic dt100's are great tracking phones though.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Headphones are only really useful for tracking, and for checking the low-end occasionally.
for mixing, they just can't match up to a set of monitors.
Last edited by TheDriller at Aug 17, 2009,
You can mix on headphones, just not well But if you start on phones and finish with the monitors you'll be fine.

I picked up some Audio-Technica M40s for a bit under that, nice headphones. You could probably get some HD 280's or the sony equivalent for that price.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
You can mix on headphones, just not well But if you start on phones and finish with the monitors you'll be fine.

I picked up some Audio-Technica M40s for a bit under that, nice headphones. You could probably get some HD 280's or the sony equivalent for that price.

Why would you start on something less appropriate if you have the best tool for the job at hand?

And I take any actual mixing to be good, otherwise why bother?
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Gates67
Grado sr-80

Mix with this response graph?

Quote by ZosoForRolo
I use some Skull Candy headphones for my recording...they do a nice job.

No. Just, no.

Try the AKG K240 cans. Heard good things (not through personal experience mind). The older the better apparently, but seeing as were on MKII now you might be hard pushed to find the older ones.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Actually, look at Shure SE110s. They are cack for mixing, but they do have stupendously flat low end, right down to 10hz. Great for checking bass frequencies, which is what I have mine for.

This might be handy, all 3 cans mentioned here (apart from the skull candy's. Consumer cans are consumer).

(Invalid img)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I use the Sony MDR-V900's. I love them. I mostly mix on my Event monitors, but I do check my mixes on my phones, and use them for critical quiet listening, for things like reverb tails, hearing subtle FX, fine edits, etc... and they sound very good. Better than any other pair I've tried, including the Beyer Dynamic DT770's.

I also have the little brother model, the MDR-V600's, which sound pretty good, but not near as good as the 900's. The 600's run about $99.

If $100 is the highest you can go, I'd probably recommend the Sony 600's, or the Sennheiser HD280's. For $100, they were some of better ones I tried. There also used to be a pair of AKG's that were good for $100, but I can't find them now. They seem to have been discontinued.
Quote by willieturnip
Why would you start on something less appropriate if you have the best tool for the job at hand?

And I take any actual mixing to be good, otherwise why bother?

Because some of us have to share our house with people who don't like hearing the same 2 bars 50 times a day We can't all afford separate homes and recording studios... (that's what the OP was refering to when he talked about "silent mixing").
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
Because some of us have to share our house with people who don't like hearing the same 2 bars 50 times a day We can't all afford separate homes and recording studios... (that's what the OP was refering to when he talked about "silent mixing").

I live on the third floor of an apartment building with my girlfriend, and have never had trouble with monitoring. i think you'll find that it's far less of an issue than some people think. jsut think of how loud most people set their TVs without ever getting complaints.
If it helps a little bit, I am looking for something with good low end response.
ok so I think Ive narrowed it down to

Sennheiser HD280 ($99)

or

Audio-Technica ATH-M40 ($60)

Which is better?
If I'm not mistaken, those ATH-M40's used to sell for $99 when I worked at GC. I remember trying them a couple of times, and they weren't bad at all. But I remember liking those Sennheisers about the best out of the $99 pairs.

It's a toss-up. The AT's are nice and they're cheaper, but the Sennheisers were a consistent favorite among the store and with customers.
+1 for the Sennheiser. I have some and really enjoy them, but they hurt my ears after a while
Another M40 lover here, bought a headphone stand and attached it to my guitar stand so they'd be at had whenever I needed them The HD280 looks sweet too. Guess it's down to personal preference.
Quote by Tombe
whats your toughts of the AKG K 77
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Not great. Ok. It looks a bit hi-fi-ish...
Quote by Tombe
i was wondering because i start a sound production course at james watt college in a few days

maybe theese http://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_athm40fs.htm
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Last edited by hans the lefty at Aug 23, 2009,
They're what I have. Nice. If you have more money of course go for one of the higher end AKG's...
Quote by Tombe