this might be a stupid question but can you use pod farm with a pod gx and on a scale of 1 to 10 what would you give the sound qulity from the gx
Probably yes.
Probably 8/10.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
i am thinking about getting this and the music i play is mostly metal like dethklok amon amarth that kind of stuff.would this thing be able to give me the sound i need for this kind of music?
Of course you can,lol thats the whole idea of the pod GX
http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

Well I got a guitarport and as much as you can tweak everything to your liking and the vast selection of cabinets and heads it is hard to get a metal sounds especially for those bands,
so I'd suggest downloading the higher gain amps(ie: the metal pack),haven't got it yet but I've heard good things about it, and you should look into the UX1 if its in your budget because you won't be limited to just guitar recording incase you wanted to do vocals sometime
could i just buy the pod farm software and use my gnx3000 as the device i use to connect my guitar to my computer
Quote by brender
could i just buy the pod farm software and use my gnx3000 as the device i use to connect my guitar to my computer

You can do that, but you would need to get an iLok.
I have PodFarm Platinum, authorized to iLok, best purchase i ever made.
Quote by muckypup
Is there any way to use any of the line 6 software without a iLok?

well, you either buy the version that is authorized to your Line6 hardware, and the hardware will act as a dongle, or you get the version that is authorized to the iLok, and then the iLok acts as the dongle

Quote by brender
what is ilok

This is an iLok

basically it is a License management device, in order to use iLok protected software (PodFarm for example), you need to have the license registered to an iLok, and have that iLok plugged into the computer.
Quote by TheDriller
well, you either buy the version that is authorized to your Line6 hardware, and the hardware will act as a dongle, or you get the version that is authorized to the iLok, and then the iLok acts as the dongle

This is an iLok

basically it is a License management device, in order to use iLok protected software (PodFarm for example), you need to have the license registered to an iLok, and have that iLok plugged into the computer.

This sums up my thoughts rather nicely.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92

Lulz

To be honest, at first i was a bit sceptical but now i really like it.
having the authorizations on an iLok is so much easier than dealing with a tonne of Serial codes. if i want, i can take my iLok over to a friends studio and let him mess around with PodFarm, no problem.

for professionals who do free-lance work, they can call up the studio a few days in advance and ask for software X, Y and Z to be installed, pop in the iLok when he arrives and its ready to go.

if my hard-drive dies and i need to re-install my whole system i can have my plugins authorized and ready to go in a few seconds, rather than spending hours copying/pasting serial codes and registering on the internet.

but the best part is the process of registering a license to the iLok in the first place. so much less painful than the srial challenge/response method.
the day i got PodFarm, i also installed and authorized Samplitude10 SE and GuitarRig3 LE, both of which use Serial numbers and a form of Challenge/Response.

by the end of it i was wishing that they ALL were on the iLok