I bought a used '75 ES-175D not too long ago and my house maid accidentally pushed it off its stand while she was mopping the house floor (that idiot...) and the guitar fell flat on its face. Upon first inspection I didn't notice any physical or aural issues. However, after looking at the guitar again, I noticed that its neck pickup was tilted. I went on Google to check if this pickup tilting was normal, but I found out that it wasn't so now I'm wondering about how I can fix this issue. Also, does this pickup tilting affect the tone of the guitar?
Attachments:
IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg
IMG_2369.jpg
Last edited by demonstrius at Aug 16, 2009,
Im not sure on the ES, but on LP's the two screws in the middle on each side of the pickup rings, adjust the height of the pickup. So maybe just try that? Not sure if this is the same with your ES.

However, if this is not the case.

Rape your maid and steal her purse to pay for the cost.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
+1 to rape, but is it crooked like / that or like one side of the actual pickup is lower than the other

edit: or i could not be an idiot and look at the pictures

you can fix that with a screwdriver, the screw may be bent in which case just take it out and replace it
~Defiant~
Last edited by Aurex at Aug 16, 2009,
yes I tried the screws but the only raise the height altogether rather than one end of the pickup. Damn, I'd hate to have to go to the luthier. As for the maid, its my parent's responsibility to deal with her since they're the ones who hired her, and knowing my parents, they're going to be assholishly lenient with her so much that she might be able to get away with it.
have you tried simply pushing it back with your fingers, mate? the P90 on my SG does it from time to time. I just push it right back in place and it doesn't cause a problem.
Quote by Aurex
+1 to rape, but is it crooked like / that or like one side of the actual pickup is lower than the other

edit: or i could not be an idiot and look at the pictures

Yeah if just the actual pickup is slanted, it can be adjusted with ease, however if the ring along with the pickup is slanted, most likely where the screws mount the pup the wood has split and viola. You need a luthier.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Well my suggestion would be to unscrew the mounting rings, and take a peek inside. Becareful when you undo them all, because for each pickup there are two springs that are willingly to pop out and you really don't want to loose them. If everything seems aok, then put the pup back in where she belongs and adjust to your liking.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
@Victorino: Um I'm not rich, I just managed to coax a man who was suffering from financial issues to give me a ludicrous deal on an ES-175D...
@IdntNedUrCvlWar: that process sounds like it might involve extra care.
Quote by demonstrius
@Victorino: Um I'm not rich, I just managed to coax a man who was suffering from financial issues to give me a ludicrous deal on an ES-175D...
@IdntNedUrCvlWar: that process sounds like it might involve extra care.

It's really easy to do. Just unscrew everything (all 6 screws) Make sure the pup won't fall down into the guitar, then just lift it all up. To me, it seem like the pickup is rubbing against the guitar, which would explain why you can push it back into place.
(When you said it feels like something is stuck, or something like that.) If thats the case, the just lift everything out, then screw if back on. And when you go to put it back on, put the spring underneath the pickupring, and screw the middle screw on the sides into place so it catches on the spring. To take extra caution, put a wash cloth near the pickup area where you will be working. These kind of *quick-repairs* aren't worth a luthier's $60-80 dollar an hour service, unless you REALLY don't know what you're doing.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Yes you will need to remove them..
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
icic ill see what I can do not really in the mood to buy a new set of strings cuz I just went to GC
Quote by demonstrius
icic ill see what I can do not really in the mood to buy a new set of strings cuz I just went to GC

What do you mean? You can just take the strings off, its not like you have to cut them or something..
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
o ok... never done this kind of stuff before so you'll have to pardon me. but thanks for the advice!
ah i thought you said the neck not the neck pup,I should of waited for the picss i guess,i`d completley remove the pup then remount it.
Thanks everyone!!! Problem's been solved. I just followed IdntNedCvlWar and ibanezgod's instructions and voila. I also lowered the bridge a bit to allow for more sustain and a lower action because the guitar originally had a very high action and it hurt to play it.