So when I play my schecter all of the other strings I'm not playing (or even touching) start ringing. I've got Duncan distortion humbuckers on it and they are real high. Playing through my Fender Frontman (and with my metal master pedal but it rings with or without it) So do I need to get a noise gate pedal to get rid of that noise?

THANKS
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
what is a decent cheap one? I'm short on the money and I gotta buy a car
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers

Rather than dropping money into a noise gate, I personally think that you should ditch the amp and the pedal and get something that is going to have a decent tone on its own (i.e. a Blackstar HT-5).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Rather than dropping money into a noise gate, I personally think that you should ditch the amp and the pedal and get something that is going to have a decent tone on its own (i.e. a Blackstar HT-5).

My amp has a good tone IMO (even w/o the pedal), but It's my guitar that is making the noise. So that wouldn't help would it?

Oh and my squier doesn't have all the background noise, strings ringing etc... through the same setup. So its the Schecter and the pickups

Last edited by colt34 at Aug 16, 2009,
It's probably the actives. A noise gate will do the job if you're short on budget and like your amp's tone, but don't get a bad one as you'll need to replace it soon. ISP Decimator is good, but expensive, and I don't know any cheaper ones to recommend so i'll leave that to others

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

The noise gate won't do ANYTHING for your problem, a noise gate is just a device that cuts the noise when you are NOT playing, though you say that all the strings rings when you are playing.
Quote by Sguit
The noise gate won't do ANYTHING for your problem, a noise gate is just a device that cuts the noise when you are NOT playing, though you say that all the strings rings when you are playing.

Wait hold on, do you mean ringing when I'm NOT playing, between notes? Because yeah that happens and makes it sound sloppy (like someone else is strumming all the other strings lightly) Also it keeps ringing AFTER i'm done playing the note, even if a play the note then mute that string.

well if this is the case what do I need? My situation excactly is... a tiny bit of amp noise I don't care about, strings ringing (assuming from the vibrations of others and then the high power pickups picking that up) Other than that everything is crisp and clean. What I have to do to do that though is mute all other five strings I'm not playing which is hard!

Quote by colt34
My amp has a good tone IMO (even w/o the pedal)

Well your opinion, in my opinion, is flawed.

Try lowering the pickups. Why you have actives running through a Frontman is beyond me.
Get a Boss pedal, noise supressor pedal, their great! And yes, you will need one eventually, when you play live, having a noise supressor pedal will eliminate all the uneccessary noises that no one likes.
Boss's NS2 sucks. Literally.

Go to a store, buy an ISP Decimator. See if it cuts the noise you're talking about. If not, it's probably you're playing or some other factor and you can return it and get your money back. If it works, then you can still return it if it was too expensive and maybe find one used.

But otherwise, +1 for putting the money towards a better amp instead.

I had huge issues with noise and over time I learned to control it. I still keep my Decimator because it let's me be lazy, but I could live without it now if I needed to.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Well your opinion, in my opinion, is flawed.

Try lowering the pickups. Why you have actives running through a Frontman is beyond me.

I'm sorry, I don't know what actives are? And yeah I'll lower the pickups first probably I don't want to waste money.

And you think a better amp will help with the background noise? I know it's not me or my technique, the guy who owned it before me said the same thing. He said that it is just because the pickups are so high powered and high up that it picks up anything and everything. He suggested getting a noise pedal too. I just wanted to ask the smart people an UG first!

So will new amp fix it? or pedal?

I think you'd be much better off getting a new amp, preferably a tube amp because (cheap) SS amps don't really play nicely with actives.
Quote by colt34
So when I play my schecter all of the other strings I'm not playing (or even touching) start ringing. I've got Duncan distortion humbuckers on it and they are real high.

This is your problem, you aren't dampening the strings you aren't playing, and as such they are able to ring out. This is a technique issue. It's made much more evident by the fact that you have high output pickups close to those strings.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx

I have yet to encounter your tone sucking theory with my NS-2.

Sustain killer when not set right? Yes

Tone sucker? Not at all.

TS: I still stand by my previous statement - I think you would be much happier with a new amp.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx

If you have it set correctly, it does not. Most people (not saying you) who say this have the threshold up all the way. When it is up all the way, it really does suck out pretty much everything. However, I have mine set right about Noon/1 o clock, and it just eliminates the feedback. And regardless of what people say, through MY set up, there is no tonal difference. Though different people have different experiences.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Last edited by CkY freak at Aug 16, 2009,
So when you play a riff or whatever of notes you are supposed to mute the other 5 strings?? I did not know that and I have never done that on my other guitars (I'm pretty sure I've never seen it done either) and they always played fine. Will it be fixed if I lower them? Or am I going to have to start muting all the other strings.

Quote by CkY freak
If you have it set correctly, it does not. Most people (not saying you) who say this have the threshold up all the way. When it is up all the way, it really does suck out pretty much everything. However, I have mine set right about Noon/1 o clock, and it just eliminates the feedback. And regardless of what people say, through MY set up, there is no tonal difference. Though different people have different experiences.

Okay another just straight question... Do noise gates just eliminate amp noise (which really isn't my problem)? Or will it also help with the other strings ringing which still is just a low buzzing.

Quote by colt34
So when you play a riff or whatever of notes you are supposed to mute the other 5 strings??

Yes. That is exactly what you should be doing.

Quote by colt34
I did not know that and I have never done that on my other guitars (I'm pretty sure I've never seen it done either) and they always played fine.

It's likely that you simply didn't hear it before with the lower output pickups. You're not exactly playing through the most responsive of amps either.

If you've watched a guitarist who sounded good at high volume, he was dampening the strings he wasn't playing.

Quote by colt34
Will it be fixed if I lower them?

Possibly, I'd recommend you learn to play correctly regardless.

Quote by colt34
Or am I going to have to start muting all the other strings.

Please do so anyway. Freepower, a moderator here has made this video, I recommend you watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by colt34
Okay another just straight question... Do noise gates just eliminate amp noise (which really isn't my problem)? Or will it also help with the other strings ringing which still is just a low buzzing.

A noise gate isnt going to stop the other strings from ringing. Its designed so that it will eliminate unwanted hum/noise/feedback. My tone zone pickup is pretty noisy, and when engaged, it does take some of it away. I mostly use the noise gate because in my music I have quite a few start/stop parts. And I have it on, so that when Im not playing those pauses, it doesnt feedback uncontrollably. If you're buzzing is from your pickups, I think it will help a little bit. It does mine. But dont set the threshold up all the way on the boss model or else you're notes wont ring out at all. (not the strings themselves, just the notes)
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by Deanguitarist39
The frontman is a horrible amp and pedals sound horrible through it. That's ur problem get a new amp and the problem should be solved.

I haven't tried it through my gorilla GG25 yet, would it sound better through that?

technique issue most likely, but it seems as though that has already been covered.

also - how to you plan to get to the store to buy the noise gate? buy your car first, and after gas/insurance see if you have money for the noise gate. considering you may have fixed your technique by then.
Quote by CkY freak
A noise gate isnt going to stop the other strings from ringing. Its designed so that it will eliminate unwanted hum/noise/feedback. My tone zone pickup is pretty noisy, and when engaged, it does take some of it away. I mostly use the noise gate because in my music I have quite a few start/stop parts. And I have it on, so that when Im not playing those pauses, it doesnt feedback uncontrollably. If you're buzzing is from your pickups, I think it will help a little bit. It does mine. But dont set the threshold up all the way on the boss model or else you're notes wont ring out at all. (not the strings themselves, just the notes)

I know I know but wouldn't those strings ringing be within the decibel range of the noise gate? since its softer and quieter. Plus yeah I get the feedback stuff too when using the metal pedal.

Quote by Prophet of Page

Please do so anyway. Freepower, a moderator here has made this video, I recommend you watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Alright this is what everyone does? darn! more work for me. Oh well I guess thats just what I'll have to do haha