Question 1: How do I boost the volume of my track up to the volume level of professional recordings? I've gone as far as my master fader will go without sounding like ass and It doesnt bring it up enough

Question 2: Should I double track a clean riff, or center it?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
centering will defenatly bring up your volume but if you want 2 keep it panned just double it
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Question 1: How do I boost the volume of my track up to the volume level of professional recordings? I've gone as far as my master fader will go without sounding like ass and It doesnt bring it up enough

Achieving the kind of "volume/loudness" that you're after means using a lot of compression, both at the mixing and mastering stages. Then you slap a brickwall limiter on the mix and watch all the dynamics of your song get sucked out.
to get a higher level out of tracks you will need to buy a decent pre amp as for doubling or centering tracks it all depends on you options doubling will give the illusion of depth and large, where as centre will be sometimes more clearer but can get lost in the mix
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
Quote by ebon00
Achieving the kind of "volume/loudness" that you're after means using a lot of compression, both at the mixing and mastering stages. Then you slap a brickwall limiter on the mix and watch all the dynamics of your song get sucked out.

this. lots of "pro" mastering is just slapping on a master limiter and making everything loud. in affect it takes out your dynamic range. if your just in some like grindcore band with very little dynamics than this is all fine, but if your music has a lot of dynamics than i wouldnt suggest a master limiter (maybe set one where the threshold is around -10 db) unfortuanately in recent years theres been a loudness battle where everyband tries to make their record as loud as possible. frankly i can get loud enough clips with very little clipping or a light limiter. ive also have gotten pretty loud results with no clipping/limiter. remember add effects like salt,not enough and your mix will be tasteless, too much and it will be sh****. good luck on your furture recordings.
Quote by MetalBass 77
lots of "pro" mastering is just slapping on a master limiter and making everything loud.

not true at all.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
MetalBass, thanks, you've been a big help in my threads. Lovin the Slate Drums btw

OK, so just apply a compressor to the guitars and maybe a master compressor/limiter? I'll have to figure out how to use those.

Listen to my two latest clips if you want a taste of how I record/my music styles to help me out.

Thanks guys
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by GisleAune
Quality > loudness

Ugh... A shudder just went through the room...

But I must admit that the other way around would have been much more disturbing...
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Last edited by ebon00 at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by aetherspear
not true at all.

thats why i put a "" around pro. real mastering studios dont do this but some studio offering mastering as a secondary thing might use this method. so yes true at all
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
MetalBass, thanks, you've been a big help in my threads. Lovin the Slate Drums btw

OK, so just apply a compressor to the guitars and maybe a master compressor/limiter? I'll have to figure out how to use those.

Listen to my two latest clips if you want a taste of how I record/my music styles to help me out.

Thanks guys

no problem at all man. also as for your recordings the tone is pretty good, however id bring up the drums a good amount, metal = loud drums you can add a compressor to the guitars, but i dont know how often thats used. personally i dont really compress anything, but people seem to like compressing vocals and bass the most. as for your master track add a limiter and have the threshold at around -10db. this will make your mix alot louder and wont suck out *all* of your dynamics. you can even try something lower such as -15db. also you did some nice drum programming (lest you stole those from some gp5 file ) so once again good luck on your future recordings and jsut pm me or make a thread if you need more help.
^mmm me too

Did you et my PM a few weeks back, Ryan? Just wanted you to check out my two newest clips, see what you thought.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz