Is New England, (more specifically Boston) a good area to be based out of as an original band? I mean what genres are popular round here, if bars and clubs pay relatively decently ...
Who cares what everyone else plays? Play what you want to play.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Martha Says:

Why the hell are you asking us what music is popular in YOUR area?

And of course it is a good place to be based out of; large city = large potential fanbase
what genre are you?
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by JagerSlushy
Who cares what everyone else plays? Play what you want to play.

it does matter. I live in a small town in Idaho, so all anyone wants to hear is bluegrass and light funky jam rock. Luckily my 'band' plays some of that so we have a chance of eventually getting some gigs, but we won't ever be able to play metal or stuff like that around here.
Play what you are best at, if you are good enough it wont matter what music is popular in the area.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
My band is still in high school...but within a few years we'll be gigging regularly(and locally) . We're some kind of rock driven alternative and I would just like to know how bars pay round here. And the fanbase ( I wanna know if we're gonna get screwed over like the dude from Idaho...)
Last edited by lilfid12 at Aug 16, 2009,
Boston has a large (and one of the best) hardcore and metalcore scene.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by Z_cup_boy
metalcore is big in massachutsets I hear.

When I think Boston, I think Dropkick Murphy's, not metalcore. That's just me though.

By the way, can't decide if the new avatar is awesome or if it scares me...
Last edited by wizards? at Aug 16, 2009,
In Texas indie is very popular
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
As a Bostonian, I can say with some confidence that the city is big enough for you to have an audience playing almost any kind of music. There's even a bit of a soul revival going on with Eli Reed and Jenny Dee.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by loinmute
In Texas indie is very popular

O really?! Thanks man! That was so helpful!!!!
Quote by wizards?
When I think Boston, I think Dropkick Murphy's, not metalcore. That's just me though.

I've never seen a band play that Irish stuff around here, most of the stuff around here is Metalcore or Deathcore. This scene gets pretty boring if you ask me, but there are a few guys that I like, especially View of a Burning City

I'd still trade Bay Area thrash for Boston metalcore any day, though
Last edited by The Shroom420 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by The Shroom420
I've never seen a band play that Irish stuff around here, most of the stuff around here is Metalcore or Deathcore. This scene gets pretty boring if you ask me, but there are a few guys that I like, especially View of a Burning City

I never would have thought of that happening in Boston.

That's why I love my scene, there's so much of everything that you can always find a good show to go to. People belittle the Minnesota music scene, but we've got a lot more than most people think we've got.
Quote by wizards?

I also think of Celtic Punk when I hear Boston.
Killswitch, all that remains, and shadows fall are all from that area
well, apparently boston is metalcore and irishmen
texas is indie
down here in baltimore theres a good following for 80s (see kix), throwback good old rock n roll (charm city devils), and alot of non-famous death and black metal bands.
are there any bands you can kinda compare yourself too
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by The Shroom420

I'd still trade Bay Area thrash for Boston metalcore any day, though

The Dropkick Murphys are a synonym for Boston...
There's more to Boston than what just appears to be popular on the surface. Boston has a very diverse and vibrant musical scene, I mean as far as unsigned bands go. I mean look at Bang Camaro. 80's-styled rock, harmonious vocals, great guitar. Then you have the Celtic punk fury of the Murphys. Then you have the metalcore bull**** going on. I'vegot family out there.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
New England in general, but especially southern NH/northern MA, is a great place if you like crapcore. I live in NH and nobody gives a flying crap about my bands because all people want to hear is screaming and breakdowns, not real metal or real hardcore like it used to be.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!