im in the process of ordering a rr flying v kit and was wondering if anyone knew of what kind of pickups that dimebag darrell used.
I don't know exactly but Dean makes a DimeTime pup which is close to what Dime used. DiMarzio also has the Humbucker from Hell which will get close to his sound also.
From what I've read, most of the Dime you hear was through his Dean From Hell guitar that he preferred to play. It was equipped with a Bill Lawrence L500XL pickup. I've read he started to use the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker near the end of his life with Damageplan.

I tried an L500XL in my RR1 and I didn't like the sound at all.

btw, you could have easily found this info in his Wikipedia entry:

"Dimebag was a major endorser of Dean Guitars since the 1980s, and is best known for playing a Dean ML guitar with Bill Lawrence L500XL pickups, which he would install in a reversed position to have the "hot" blade facing the neck. Dimebag used Dean Guitars from the early days with Pantera, until the company went out of business in 1995.

When Dean Guitars went out of business he switched to Washburn. He used them from 1996 until 2004, endorsing various signature models such as the Dime 333 and the Stealth.

Seymour Duncan manufactures a signature pickup co-designed by Dimebag, the SH-13 Dimebucker. He proudly endorsed the pickup manufacture, but continued to use Bill Lawrence pickups in most of his personal guitars.

Several months before his death, Darrell ended his long relationship with Washburn, and again became a Dean endorser once again, coinciding with founder Dean Zelinksy's return. Dean built him a brand new signature guitar; the Dime O' Flame, which he began using live.

As a tribute to him, in 2005 Dean Guitars released the new Dime Tribute line of ML guitars. These guitars come in various models, ranging from lower price models to higher end models with SH-13 Dimebucker's, a Floyd Rose bridge, and set neck construction. In his last few weeks with Dean, Dime help design a guitar he called the Razorback. After his death, Dean continued with the Razorback project and dedicated them to the memory of him. During the height of Dimebag's fame, he also worked together with MXR and Dunlop to produce the MXR Dime Distortion and the Dimebag "Crybaby from Hell" Wah respectively."

reference : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebag_Darrell
Last edited by Jam3V at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Jam3V
From what I've read, most of the Dime you hear was through his Dean From Hell guitar that he preferred to play. It was equipped with a Bill Lawrence L500XL pickup. I've read he started to use the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker near the end of his life with Damageplan.

I tried an L500XL in my RR1 and I didn't like the sound at all.

Yeah bill lawrence in the bridge and duncan 59 in the neck with black electrical tape holding it in lol....and yeah I bought a lawrence pedal back in the day and I didn't like it either....but then again I don't like dimes tone...I was just trying to find a cool humbucker before the internet and all the user reviews and stuff lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I'm pretty sure the electrical tape was used to keep the strings from getting caught under the pickups. You know Dime and his dives.
Last edited by Jam3V at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Jam3V
I'm pretty sure the electrical tape was used to keep the strings from getting caught under the pickups. You know Dime and his dives.

Lol that makes a lot of sense....I read a lot of things about him back in the day I guess I got confused
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think