lately ive been thinking if it would be a good idea to change the pickups on my jackson dinky. i got it in may of this year for 70 bucks used. it was in a terrible condition but with my hook ups and friends i was able to restore it to a great condition for 30 bucks. now i like the guitar alot but i know that the body type(indian cedro?) and the pickups will make a difference in tones. so i need to know if it would be a good idea to change the pickups. what do you guys reccomend? its a cheap low model guitar that i think would be great with the right pickups.
Classical Guitarist
The Entry level jacksons unfortunately aren't exactly stellar pieces of art, but for what you're doing now it should be good.
What type of amp do you have now? What type of music do you play? What is your budget?

PS- Indian Cedro is in the Ceder family (cedro- spanish for ceder!).... and it isn't the best wood for a guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
The Entry level jacksons unfortunately aren't exactly stellar pieces of art, but for what you're doing now it should be good.
What type of amp do you have now? What type of music do you play? What is your budget?

PS- Indian Cedro is in the Ceder family (cedro- spanish for ceder!).... and it isn't the best wood for a guitar.

Amp-line 6 spider 3 but i will be upgrading to a marshall (forgot the name lol)

i play thrash,neo-classical,classical,speed,jazz,blues.

and my budget is like 100 bucks.
but i dont mind just getting one really good pickup in the bridge position.
Classical Guitarist
Hmm remember the Marshall- if its a solid state MG or like a JCM that would change my recommendation to you-

for now though since you're bent on a new pup-

check out the EMG 81/85s for actives, or a Seymour Duncan Distortion or JB for some passive options
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
Hmm remember the Marshall- if its a solid state MG or like a JCM that would change my recommendation to you-

for now though since you're bent on a new pup-

check out the EMG 81/85s for actives, or a Seymour Duncan Distortion or JB for some passive options

im not bent on it. im just wondering if it would be a good idea.
and i have no idea what that active and passive mean lol.
Classical Guitarist
Active pickups have batteries. They basically have a preamp that gives a boost in gain. Unless you are getting a Tube amp you may not want to get them, as they can clip through solid state amps and dont sound as good as they should. Passive pickups such as the JB can sound just a good and are usually more versatile.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
yeah i dont want to use batteries or anything on some actives i guess. ill stick to passives.
and ive been looking at those seymour duncans for awhile too lol.
Classical Guitarist
Changing batteries is really easy and they dont' have to be changed for many,many months. But yea, with a SS amp you're better off with passives.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
It's really not worth your while spending money on pickups at this stage - put the money you would have spent on pickups towards the amp.

And do NOT get a Marshall MG.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com