Hey, I'm looking to buy a Delay pedal, but I'm not looking to spend over $100. Honestly, I don't even want to spend $100. Why are they so damn expensive anyways?

Details...I play pop/rock music and I'm looking to get a thick, sweet Delay. If you need to know more details, just ask. Oh yeah, I'll be using a strat.
Its all in opinion. I really like analog delays but they are pricier. If you want analog, Carbon Copy will probably be cheapest. If you want digital i would just go with a DD-3 from BOSS.
Quote by guitarskater11
Its all in opinion. I really like analog delays but they are pricier. If you want analog, Carbon Copy will probably be cheapest. If you want digital i would just go with a DD-3 from BOSS.

I'm pretty sure all of Boss' pedals are analog, aren't they?
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
Quote by SecretAgentS

No, in fact, as far as I know, they are all digital. At least the DD-3 and DD-7 delay pedals are.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by GivingUp
Hey, I'm looking to buy a Delay pedal, but I'm not looking to spend over $100. Honestly, I don't even want to spend $100. Why are they so damn expensive anyways?

Details...I play pop/rock music and I'm looking to get a thick, sweet Delay. If you need to know more details, just ask. Oh yeah, I'll be using a strat.

Probably won't get a real good delay pedal for $100. Also of course it depends on what type. Like guitarskater11 said, I also prefer analog. It sounds better to me personally than digital.

Walk into GC, try out all digital and analog delays that are in your budget through the amp you'd be using if they have it at GC (Or a music store near you).

If you can up your budget, you can get better pedals. Also going used can help too.

Lastly, you get what you pay for. I'm sure a $250 (Or whatever price they are) Deluxe Memory Man might last you longer than a $50.
Try to look for a used Memory Man.They go great with Strats!
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by SecretAgentS

no, they have quite a few digital pedals. some delays, the ph-3, a couple of the reverbs and some others. most of the distortions/overdrives and stuff are analog and almost all of the older ones are as well. boss is good in that they dont limit themselves to digital or analog but try to do what is best for that effect. not that they always succeed (see aformentioned ph-3).

as for a good delay under $100, well good luck. the boss dd-3 is there and i think the ehx #1 echo is close. you probably have a few options if you go used as well. you can most likely pick up an ibanez ad-9 under $100 used if you look enough. then there are some older pedals that are good but not well known that would work (none spring to mind). basicly for a good delay for that you are going to be looking used. and for something thick and sweet i would try analog, but thats just the way i think of that sound.
A Memory Boy if you want analog, a DD-3 if you want digital.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
For under $100? There's a few options. I'd grab an Ibanez DE-7 for digital (great analog sim though) or a DOD FX90 for analog.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
You can get stuff for cheap off ebay!! I bought a dd-3 for 70 bucks off there before you just got to watch for the deals....and yeah the dd-3 is definatly my pick....I need to get another one...I had to sell mine awhile ago
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
It depends what you are using it for. If your using it to make it sound bigger or for solos or whatever then a cheap analog delay would be good.

If you want to use it for layered rhythmical(sp?) stuff like U2 etc then you'd want a digital delay with tap tempo.

I'd reccommend the TC electronics nova repeater because it can do both, although the analog sound is modelling it still sounds quite nice.

TL;DR - get a nova repeater.
***Short Sig***
the thing with delays is this:

digital delays have the added benefit of being great for percussive delays in time with what you play and often have a tap-tempo function to make use of that - the delay timing is very accurate.

analog delays on the other hand aren't really so good at being used as timed FX, and should be used as more of an ambient effect than a tight percussive effect. they have a more characterful tone on the delays which tends to lose quality with each delay, a desired effect in many cases nonetheless!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.