Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, so I just got my first car and I've been looking on the web for some cheap, simple ways to improve gas mileage and horsepower.

I came across this "Electric Supercharger" on eBay and other websites that provides boost via an electric fan that runs off your car's battery. I've read some articles and a lot of people seem to say that it doesn't really accomplish what it claims to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160355404339&Category=72478&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

I'm also thinking about purchasing a K&N air filter for improved performance.

As an engineering major in college, I'm always up for some tinkering. Can anyone recommend to me some car mods that will improve performance for relatively cheap?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Last edited by SoccerRM1 at Aug 16, 2009,
Those electric superchargers are a joke and do not work. First off a cold air intake will improve mileage and hp on any car.What kind of car?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Quote by aseme
You could start off by telling us what car you drive...

oops haha. It's a 1999 mazda 626

I don't plan on racing with it or anything, I just want to avoid the pump as much as possible :P
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
for more hp, the simplest thing you can to is put a cold air intake on it. aem makes great ones, although you can get a k&n filter and a standard pipe to get almost the same gains, it just wont sound nearly as good. intakes should always be the first mod for every car, imo.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
A free flowing exhaust will help the car breath better, and a chip would help as well.

Edit: Strato please look at my last post in the mods thread.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Aug 16, 2009,
Nitrous Oxide
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
also..
ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER? that sounds like the most ricer sh*t ever created.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Look at all the ones the guy has sold.

Increased Horsepower (Kilowatts for my non US friends)
Increased Fuel Mileage
Better Vehicle Handling <---
Extends Engine Life
Low cost Upgrade when compared to traditional Turbos and Superchargers
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by BlackIce87
A free flowing exhaust will help the car breath better, and a chip would help as well.

Edit: Strato please look at my last post in the mods thread.

man give me the link i cant even find it anymore, its nearly dead
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
A supercharger wont improve gas mileage. They do increase horsepower, and are most helpful for take off power, such as when drag racing. A normal belt driven one will severely decrease gas mileage (usually), but i dont know about this electric stuff. Like previously stated, you should probably tell us what car you drive, and also what kind driving you are usually doing (ie innercity stop n go, highway driving etc.)

GODDAMNedIT: oops too slow, Dont go for the supercharger, its just a piece of **** scam.
Last edited by Thomas P. Jones at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Thomas P. Jones
A supercharger wont improve gas mileage. They do increase horsepower, and are most helpful for take off power, such as when drag racing. A normal belt driven one will severely decrease gas mileage (usually), but i dont know about this electric stuff. Like previously stated, you should probably tell us what car you drive, and also what kind driving you are usually doing (ie innercity stop n go, highway driving etc.)

Hey, sorry about my first post, but I said it in my next post that I drive a 1999 mazda 626.

I'll be starting a full time job in September which will require a daily commute on the highway along with some stop and go traffic getting in and out of the city.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Lol I like how that Electric Supercharger thing has picture of a Veyron.
Bugatti use the Electric Supercharger on the Veyron Buy one now!
so TS, go w/ a cold air intake and a new exhaust system. youre really killing 3 birds w/ one stone (yeah, i said it). slightly better gas mileage, more hp, and better sounding.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by Strato-Massacre
so TS, go w/ a cold air intake and a new exhaust system. youre really killing 3 birds w/ one stone (yeah, i said it). slightly better gas mileage, more hp, and better sounding.

is a new exhaust something I'd be able to do on my own? I don't have any prior experience. I'm trying to keep the price down or else I don't think it will be worth it.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
You can order a kit, but in the end your better off taking it to a shop.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
yeah man the k&n filter is an easy improvement. any super/turbo-charger crap will only be satisfying when GETTING UP TO highway speeds. at no other time will it be worthwhile.
Quote by Thomas P. Jones
yeah man the k&n filter is an easy improvement. any super/turbo-charger crap will only be satisfying when GETTING UP TO highway speeds. at no other time will it be worthwhile.

Thanks.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Turbo/Superchargers are satisfying when going OVER highway speeds
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Quote by BlackIce87
You can order a kit, but in the end your better off taking it to a shop.

pretty much this. although im not familiar w/ mazda's other than the rx-8's b*tch-of-an-engine-to-mod, but thats a diff story, so it may be pretty simple for a 626. i installed my exhaust system in my eclipse from the headers on back w/ nothing but guidance from my buddy. ah, shade tree mechanincs at its best.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by SoccerRM1
is a new exhaust something I'd be able to do on my own? I don't have any prior experience. I'm trying to keep the price down or else I don't think it will be worth it.

You have to be careful with exhaust systems cause most areas require the vehicle to pass emissions tests. Where I live, your vehicle must pass emissions and have a catalytic converter (these are expensive trash btw) in order to drive legaly. you probably dont want to do it yourself. Removing all the restrictive trash like cats and mufflers boosts perfomance somewhat, but its not worth it in this case. Dont go for the exhaust replacement.
When I get my car my dad will make me one, I plan on going with an exhaust similar to the Greddy ti-c. Btw I saw a silver 94 Rx-7 at autozone today.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
So aside from an air filter and possibly an exhaust (getting up there in price with installation), are there any other mods/upgrades I could look into?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
So aside from an air filter and possibly an exhaust (getting up there in price with installation), are there any other mods/upgrades I could look into?

well, before WE can answer that question, YOU have to answer these two questions:
1) do you want your car to be strictly an average, daily driving, reliable car, or do you want a car that will turn heads what ever parking lot you pull into and out of?
2) how much would you be willing to invest into this car?
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by Thomas P. Jones
You have to be careful with exhaust systems cause most areas require the vehicle to pass emissions tests. Where I live, your vehicle must pass emissions and have a catalytic converter (these are expensive trash btw) in order to drive legaly. you probably dont want to do it yourself. Removing all the restrictive trash like cats and mufflers boosts perfomance somewhat, but its not worth it in this case. Dont go for the exhaust replacement.

Shops are not allowed to touch the converter and if they do its a $2500 fine and you get your business license revoked. Opening up the exhaust somewhat and getting rid of resonators/stock mufflers are a big improvement and should still pass emissions without a problem.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Quote by BlackIce87
Shops are not allowed to touch the converter and if they do its a $2500 fine and you get your business license revoked. Opening up the exhaust somewhat and getting rid of resonators/stock mufflers are a big improvement and should still pass emissions without a problem.

do some states even care about that though? ive seen some of these regulations, and i know here in south carolina we have some cars that california wouldnt even let cross into their state.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by Strato-Massacre
well, before WE can answer that question, YOU have to answer these two questions:
1) do you want your car to be strictly an average, daily driving, reliable car, or do you want a car that will turn heads what ever parking lot you pull into and out of?
2) how much would you be willing to invest into this car?

I am not looking to make my car stand out in a crowd, no. I am simply looking for some cheap/simple upgrades that will improve my gas mileage and performance.

I would probably only be willing to invest about $250 total, but if there's something close, I'm willing to listen.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Than an intake and exhaust is for you.

Yeah they are pretty strict when it comes to inspections inless you know somebody. My dad was going to do inspections but you have to get an 8k machine to do obd2 cars. Also you have to keep the stickers in a loc kbox and if one goes missing your a Felon in the state of North Carolina.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
in that case, just get an intake. youd be lucky to even find a good one at that budget limit.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Injen short rams are nice and are in that budget if you find them on ebay.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
^Thats a rebranded E-charger. If you really want to take on a project look at hydrogen generators. Me and my dad built one. They run off of water and you inject the gas into the motor, It can boost fuel economy by like 40% and can be built for less than 40 bucks.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
just read a few articles about it.. doesn't look like it works either.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by BlackIce87
^Thats a rebranded E-charger. If you really want to take on a project look at hydrogen generators. Me and my dad built one. They run off of water and you inject the gas into the motor, It can boost fuel economy by like 40% and can be built for less than 40 bucks.

cool. Got any articles that can start me off, or should I just start searching on my own? :P
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I got diagrams on my other computer at home. Just google HHO generator and you should find everything. You can buy them on ebay for like $300 but it's kind of a rip off. You also (well more than likely) are going to have to have a map sensor reprogrammer to keep the car from running to rich.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
hmm. although that looks really interesting, it looks more like something I would do on a car I am not too worried about. Since i'll be going back and fourth to work each day, I don't want to do any mods that could affect my reliability too much. Anything similar to a new air filter is likely what I'd want to stick to.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Nope, An Intake and Exhaust is as far as you want to go.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Just do the cold air intake.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Page 1 of 2