First off what is ''Nato" I see some cheaper guitars say they have a Nato neck or whatever. What is that? Just another word for pressboard/composite?

Second question is....is it better to keep your guitar on a stand, or hang it like they do in a music store?
to the best of my understanding... nato is a laminate-like wood that's a lot like mahogany. it is a solid wood, not laminate, but it's only just above laminate. it's sound is like a lower grade mahogany.

and i would think hanging it on the wall would be better than sitting it on a stand, on a stand it can be kicked and be in the way, but hanging would be safer (as long as you have a decent wall hanger). i personally keep everything in it's case though, so thats my advice
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
nato is a kind of wood coming from the mora tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nato_wood
i found that definition on many more sites than just wikipedia. it's on cheap guitar gutar necks including my $79 rogue.

i also keep mine in their cases. i'd think hanging would be better depending on what you use. often the softer material on stands and hooks can damage the finish if you leave guitars on them all the time.
^ this is true, neoprene stains nitrocellulose lacquer so if your stand or hanger has neoprene tubing and your guitar has a nitro finish, keep your guitar in its case or get a new stand.

And Nato is an economical alternative to mahogany, doesn't look as nice, I think, but a fine choice as a tonewood.
Last edited by milagroso at Aug 17, 2009,
hanging it won't hurt it, just make sure that the hanger fits the guitar properly. My friends stratocaster used to hang on his wall and sometimes it would slide down to where the bottom tuner was holding the guitar on the hanger. Make sure that the headstock fits nicely and won't slide around. Also be very careful placing it on the hanger or put some cloth on the wall behind the guitar so it won't swing and hit the wall. If you go into a music store and pull down an acoustic they usually have a square of carpet behind it to protect it.
Quote by milagroso
^ this is true, neoprene stains nitrocellulose lacquer so if your stand or hanger has neoprene tubing and your guitar has a nitro finish, keep your guitar in its case or get a new stand.

And Nato is an economical alternative to mahogany, doesn't look as nice, I think, but a fine choice as a tonewood.

Agreed.

Nato is similar to Mahogany, however, it is very rarely used as solid wood. Most companies will use it as a laminate. Takamine, for example, uses it almost exclusively as laminate. I don't think I've ever seen Nato as a solid wood, to be honest. Anyway, it actually is quite a suitable tonewood.

As for whether a stand or wall hanger is better... It really doesn't matter that much as long as you don't keep bumping into it and stuff. A hard case is the safest place, obviously. During the colder months when the heater is on, you'll want to use the case instead of leaving it out because it'll dry up.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.