Ok, so I'm expecting to get my balls busted for this, but everytime I try to learn more about theory I just get overwhelmed and frustrated so I just quit and go back to tabs. However, I really want to learn more about theory so I can improv better. I'm not a complete musical noob, but for guitar I sort of am. So I guess what I'm asking is if there are any ways to sort of ease into learning serious theory?
Gibson Signature Les Paul
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
Quote by willdarby
Ok, so I'm expecting to get my balls busted for this, but everytime I try to learn more about theory I just get overwhelmed and frustrated so I just quit and go back to tabs. However, I really want to learn more about theory so I can improv better. I'm not a complete musical noob, but for guitar I sort of am. So I guess what I'm asking is if there are any ways to sort of ease into learning serious theory?

Learn to read standard notation 1st
have a sizeable repertoire of music 1st (that you can play by memory... not just from reading tabs)

Then start at the very beginning, and realize that people study this for years....... so don't rush through it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 16, 2009,
Learn to read music, learn all the notes in different positions. Then learn the major scale, and the minor pentatonic, and go where you want from there.
I've been playing for about a year just teaching myself through tabs and observation. I took piano when I was a kid so I can read music.
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
check out this site, check out my site, and most importantly, take SMALL STEPS. if you feel overwhelmed dont push yourself to do something, this should be fun and interesting. only way its gonna stick.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by willdarby
I've been playing for about a year just teaching myself through tabs and observation. I took piano when I was a kid so I can read music.

If you can read, you could pick yourself up a theory book. ...

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Dummies-Michael-Pilhofer/dp/0764578383

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Fifth-Walter-Piston/dp/0393954803/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250475088&sr=8-2

Definitely build up the repertoire. You want some context to put that theory to.

Listen to, learn, memorize and play as much music as you can + study the books.

it takes time so again, be patient. Don't rush through it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 16, 2009,
Thanks guys. Appreciate all the input. Probably gonna snag a theory book or do something along those lines.
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby