I've owned one of these for about a half a year and I've finally started to mess with the S-1 button that's supposed to give you more pickup settings and I'm not noticing a difference between the sound when the buttons on and the buttons off. I went to fender.com and used the manual they have to explain the settings, but I still don't hear a difference. If anyone here own one or plays one and could notice a difference let me know. I think my guitar might be faulty.
what's your amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah, it's not going to be the guitar.

the subtle tone changes are very hard to hear thru a practice amp.

i've got a MIA deluxe and i can hear the changes.

but i heard it's less of a difference wt the MIM pups.

and WAY less thru a tiny speaker / ss starter amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Really, it's not the little fender amp, I think it says like 212R. I didn't think it was a practice amp.
Quote by HeartandSoul
Really, it's not the little fender amp, I think it says like 212R. I didn't think it was a practice amp.

yeah it's the big one.

usually guys call the 212 a 212 and not a frontman.

it's a good enough clean amp that you should be able to hear the differences.

so, i have to, but hate to ask, how long have you been playing?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah it's the big one.

usually guys call the 212 a 212 and not a frontman.

it's a good enough clean amp that you should be able to hear the differences.

so, i have to, but hate to ask, how long have you been playing?

A little over three years
Quote by esp1234
try it on a tube amp and see if you hear the difference

I don't have the money to go and buy another amp right now
Quote by HeartandSoul
a little over three years

ok then your ear should be good.

i'm just going to say that on the MIM it's such a subtle change, it's not enough for you to pick up on it.

you notice nothing?

try the guitar thru a different (tube) amp.

walk into a GC with it and ask to plug in.

if you still dont feel the changes, then swap it for something else.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok then your ear should be good.

i'm just going to say that on the MIM it's such a subtle change, it's not enough for you to pick up on it.

you notice nothing?

try the guitar thru a different (tube) amp.

walk into a GC with it and ask to plug in.

if you still dont feel the changes, then swap it for something else.

I might just trade it in because if I can hear the difference on another amp, then I still won't be able to hear it on mine.
yeah. i mean it's still a strat. if you like the feel.

and pickups can be swapped out after you get a new amp.

but if you're not into it, then maybe there's another better suited to your style.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

jj1565, you keep mentioning the MIM thing - but the MIM Strats have never had the S-1 switch.

Also, the S-1 switch doesn't make a 'subtle' difference anyway. It's a huge difference in tone, in pickup selection positions 1 and 2 it nearly doubles the output. There's no way you can't just not notice that, even if you're playinf through a bad amp.

OP, it sounds like something is severely wrong with the wiring in your guitar. Take it to the store you bought it from and get them to take a look at it (if you fiddle with it yourself, you can void your chances to get an exchange or refund). If they can fix it then great, if not then they should at least give you an exchange for a new, working Deluxe.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
jj1565, you keep mentioning the MIM thing - but the MIM Strats have never had the S-1 switch.

Also, the S-1 switch doesn't make a 'subtle' difference anyway. It's a huge difference in tone, in pickup selection positions 1 and 2 it nearly doubles the output. There's no way you can't just not notice that, even if you're playinf through a bad amp.

OP, it sounds like something is severely wrong with the wiring in your guitar. Take it to the store you bought it from and get them to take a look at it (if you fiddle with it yourself, you can void your chances to get an exchange or refund). If they can fix it then great, if not then they should at least give you an exchange for a new, working Deluxe.

wrong the mim deluxe model has it
Th S-1 switch made a big difference in tones when I used to have it in my American Deluxe. I just never really used it so I took it all out when I put Fralin pups in. You might have a wiring problem, you could have a look under the pickguard and see if it matches the diagrams on Fender's website.
The S-1 switch provides a very noticable difference in the sound of my MIA Deluxe, and that's through an MG...
Quote by MrFlibble

mim deluxe strats have switching.

and i can hear a the difference. he cant, which is why i suggested he try it out at the shop, to rule out his rig.

i doubt it's going to be the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by stratman7
Th S-1 switch made a big difference in tones when I used to have it in my American Deluxe. I just never really used it so I took it all out when I put Fralin pups in. You might have a wiring problem, you could have a look under the pickguard and see if it matches the diagrams on Fender's website.

wiring for the s-1 switch is a mess of wires.
just saying.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

S-1 switches have been known to break easily. I wouldn't be surprised if it was broken.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.