Page 1 of 2
I'll be the first to admit, I'm only an amateur guitarist who used to play a lot, put the axe down for years and decided to pick it back up again. I'm playing in a band doing all originals and it seems that our music is a fairly good mix between clean tones and heavy distortion, switching interchangeably throughout songs. Years ago, I picked up a Gibson SG Classic w/P-90s. We've been playing live shows at clubs and the hum and buzz between riffs are just about unbearable. The SG is all I've really ever known but I do love the weight, the cut, the neck feel (compared to other guitars I've messed around with) but the buzz is driving me crazy. I realize I could switch to something with humbuckers (I have an old Epiphone Les Paul) or implement some sort of noisegate, but here's what I want you to know before I ask my question, and let's just assume we're starting at square one as if I didn't own a guitar...

- I play mostly rhythm parts, not too much lead riffs except for the occasional "dueling guitar" solos with the lead guitarist
- our songs regularly switch between clean and distortion.
- our sound has been described as rock, grunge, alternative, dash of metal
- my amplification: peavey jsx head, marshall 1960a 4x12 cab

My question to you...

Keeping in mind the points above, what guitar/set-up would you suggest? All comments and opinions welcome. Thank you. If you would like, you could even hear a sample of the music I'm talking about on our website, www.semeronmusic.com

Thanks again \m/
you should probably just get a pedal that blocks the noise or something
it would be a lottttt cheaper than getting a new guitar
but if you had to get a new one, probably a fender would do the trick
Quote by bellamy_morello
you could just buy a set of humbuckers and install them onto your SG

+1
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Why not just get an identical SG only with humbuckers?

Getting humbuckers installed would likely cause a cluster**** with the current body routing. P90s have a distinct shape.
Last edited by The Pickle Man at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Anvil pants
you should probably just get a pedal that blocks the noise or something
it would be a lottttt cheaper than getting a new guitar
but if you had to get a new one, probably a fender would do the trick

put some ****ing humbuckers in it.. thats why your getting a hum.
he has single coils in his sg.. a fender would not do the trick
You might be able to fit Gibson mini-humbuckers in there.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
noise gate and a hum elimnator for the amps ac cord
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
If it was a fender with humbuckers it would!

Go to a music shop with your sg and try it through one of their amps or take yours then try a noisegate with it and see if it helps enough.

If not go with humbuckers.
Legend.
When you say "in between riffs," do you mean during the same song or the down time between two songs? Lots of people use volume pedals to easily control the amount of feedback from pickups. I know Dunlop makes them, and a bunch of other pedal manufacturers.

Or you could replace one of the pickups; whichever one you use primarily more. I've done that with my Gibson SG Special in the bridge, though I chose a noisy pickup. Whatever you do, don't buy a Gibson Dirty Fingers. They are noisy and muddy, though with a ballsy tone. Seymour Duncan makes really good quiet humbuckers. Try to look into their different options of pickups.

By the way, keep the SG. Awesome guitar. But I do realize it can be hard fitting in a humbucker where a P-90 used to be, but it can be done by a tech. Go for a volume pedal or some kind of noise gate first.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Last edited by Flying Afros at Aug 16, 2009,
All good stuff. But as I mentioned, lets just assume money isn't a factor and you're following the guidelines I had above (type of music, style of play, etc.) which guitar DO YOU THINK fits the bill? Yes, yes, I know, it's about personal preference, but that's also what I would like to hear. Fender? Gibson? Ibanez? Whatever, you name it.

The noise I speak of is between riffs, say, when I have the strings muted with my palm. After a song, sure, I just turn the volume down or switch to the clean channel.

Thanks.
Last edited by ust2005 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by ust2005
All good stuff. But as I mentioned, lets just assume money isn't a factor and you're following the guidelines I had above (type of music, style of play, etc.) which guitar DO YOU THINK fits the bill? Yes, yes, I know, it's about personal preference, but that's also what I would like to hear. Fender? Gibson? Ibanez? Whatever, you name it.

The noise I speak of is between riffs, say, when I have the strings muted with my palm. After a song, sure, I just turn the volume down or switch to the clean channel.

Thanks.

You said you're used to the feel of an SG, so I'd recommend one of those. You'll always play better on a neck you're comfortable with. Just make sure to try it out before you buy, Gibson's quality control isn't great.
Or get a replacement P-90? Why has no one suggested this yet? Several companies, including Gibson, make hum-free P-90's. They sound slightly different, but it wont require routing and will be the easiest fix for you.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Sounds like you do need humbuckers or more shielding around your pickups.

The choice on guitar is totally up to you, the asses on here will tell you different but go to a guitar store and see what fits you with your sound. Nobody can tell you that but yourself!
Legend.
Quote by ust2005

Thanks.

Well, if cost is not a factor at all, and being realistic, a standard Gibson Explorer would make you look like a badass. Considering your hard-rock/grunge/alt rock sound. Good tone as well. Hot and responsive bridge pup. I've played a bunch of them. Pretty solid guitars. Or go with another SG just with humbuckers.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
i think they make humbucking p90's or something (they might be double stacked like the yngwie sig pickup. otherwise i think gibson makes some pups that will fit the p90 routes
Quote by zillafan74

i like this idea, mostly because you could take your guitar to a store and try this pedal out. if it worked enough for you to like it you'd only be out $100

Quote by guns_rosesldb
i think they make humbucking p90's or something (they might be double stacked like the yngwie sig pickup. otherwise i think gibson makes some pups that will fit the p90 routes

this is another good idea. dimarzio makes about 4 or 5 humbucking p90's. i think it's an awesome idea, you'd get the clean sounds of a p90 with the cutting hum-free distortion of a humbucker. i don't think it's at crystal clear as a p90, or as fat as a normal humbucker, but i think it's pretty damn close to both.

if you want to keep the guitar in it's original condition, i say go for another SG. if you like the size and feel, why change, right? the SG Standard is an amazing little guitar, or you could build yourself a warmoth with an SG shape. if money isn't an option, your world of options just opened up. www.warmoth.com i'm building a warmoth right now and all the parts they've made have been way above and beyond what a normal guitar company would make. so nice.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
P-90 SG's have been discontinued now,so I'm sure there is someone out there who's got a hum free standard who is looking for that lovely P-90 tone.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
dont you ****ing dare get rid of that classic its a beauty of a guitar
get a noise suppresion pedal
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Get your pickups wax dipped, this will cancel out a significant amount of hum, most guitar luthiers will do this fairly cheaply
i would just get some humbuckers it would suck to get rid of a guitar that you really liked
Quote by StankMcGarnagle
Did you guys ever get lucky and have someone die the day before or of your gig and get to promote yourselves with it? Sweet huh?

you need help.

FRANTIC MASTURBATION
Quote by poncho-dude
i would just get some humbuckers it would suck to get rid of a guitar that you really liked

NO. NO. NO. If you like the guitar and the tone you're currently getting, why would you cut a big hole in it and get new pickups that will sound completely different than what you currently have? You can never undo that.

Now if you really want a new tone, get humbuckers, but if you like your guitar the way that it is (other than that annoying hum), get a hum canceling P-90 -- don't tear up your guitar. Several pickup companies make them. I'd recommend a few but thats best left to people far more knowledgeable about pickups than myself. Ask someone here who knows about pickups and ignore the people here who are giving you advice despite knowing far less than I do on the subject.

Don't like your current tone and/or guitar? Try one of these:

-Get a new guitar. Maybe sell this one to pay for it, if you don't want to keep it. (I do not recommend this option)

-Get humbuckers installed in this guitar (routing will be somewhat pricey)

Like your current tone and guitar? Try one or more of these: (These will ALL effect your current tone somewhat, but much less than adding humbuckers will)

- Hum-free P-90's. They tend to be stacked and have a somewhat different tone, but its much closer to your current sound than a humbucker and it wont require you to cut a larger hole in your guitar. Buying a humbucker WILL require you to cut a larger hole in your guitar to fit them in there. Mini-humbuckers are not the same size as P-90's.

- Noise suppression pedal. Again, your tone will change slightly.

Someone suggested getting your pickups wax-potted. I suppose that you could do that, if your P-90's aren't already potted (I don't know if they are or not), but keep in mind that this helps suppress feedback, not hum. It will not fix the problem you described.

Hope this helped some.

EDIT: Knowing your budget and what you want (new guitar? new pickups because you love this guitar? a pedal? As close to your old sound as possible? A whole new sound?) would help a lot. It's always better to give too much information when asking these questions than to give too little.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Aug 17, 2009,
I guess I really did not form my question really well, as it's more of a two-part question:

1) What can I do about the terrible buzz i'm experiencing when on high gain channel with the p-90s? Any sort of leveling I could do (i.e. don't have guitar vol turned all the way, turn amp master vol down, turn channel vol down, combinations thereof, etc.) Get a noise supressor, wax (as suggested), humbuckers (as suggested).

...and a question unrelated...

2) What type of guitar/pickups would YOU recommend based on the specs below:
- I play hard rock/grunge/alt/metal genre sound
- need to have good clean and high gain as songs are played almost equally between the two channels
- I play mostly rhythm, other than the occasional "dueling guitars" solos.
Quote by ust2005
I guess I really did not form my question really well, as it's more of a two-part question:

1) What can I do about the terrible buzz i'm experiencing when on high gain channel with the p-90s? Any sort of leveling I could do (i.e. don't have guitar vol turned all the way, turn amp master vol down, turn channel vol down, combinations thereof, etc.) Get a noise supressor, wax (as suggested), humbuckers (as suggested).

...and a question unrelated...

2) What type of guitar/pickups would YOU recommend based on the specs below:
- I play hard rock/grunge/alt/metal genre sound
- need to have good clean and high gain as songs are played almost equally between the two channels
- I play mostly rhythm, other than the occasional "dueling guitars" solos.

1. Look at my previous post. Get hum-canceling P-90's or a noise suppressor. Wax potting won't stop hum, it prevents feedback. Humbuckers will require making a much larger hole in your guitar, because the hole for the P-90's isn't big enough. That costs a fair amount of money and can't be undone, but maybe it's what you want. Keep in mind that humbuckers wont sound anything like a P-90, though.

2. P-90's should sound GREAT for all of that (other than metal). If you MUST get a metal tone, humbuckers will be your best bet. If you have the money for it and you love the sounds of your current guitar, I'd recommend just getting a new one and saving this one in case your tastes ever change or you need that P-90 sound again. I can't recommend you a metal guitar, thats not my specialty, but for the other genres your current guitar with a noise suppression pedal or hum-canceling P-90's would be best.

These are hum-canceling P-90's, since no one else will post them:
(I haven't played them, so i can't tell you how they sound)

http://www.fralinpickups.com/p90s.asp (scroll down a bit)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/stkp1_p90_stack/

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/ (click on "soapbar" for several p-90 sized pickups, including more than one humbucker. These would be my least favorite of the ones on this list, but they may suit you well.)

Gibson used to make one called the P-100, but I can't find it for sale anywhere.
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Aug 18, 2009,
I know Seymour Duncan makes some P-90 sized humbuckers that sounds pretty good,might wanna check it out.
Quote by Firebirdz
I know Seymour Duncan makes some P-90 sized humbuckers that sounds pretty good,might wanna check it out.

I just posted a link to those pickups right above your post
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
Quote by The_Future_Soon
I just posted a link to those pickups right above your post

The links you posted were to hum cancelling p-90s.
I mean Humbuckers with their own sound,not p-90 sound,that fit in p-90 slots.
Buy an real Standard SG?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
All you friggin new kids fail to realize, you can't just pop in humbuckers where there are routs for P90s. P90s are skinnier and longer than humbuckers. It'll leave giant holes in the body, not to mention the need to buy a new pickguard. Just either get an SG with humbuckers, or try to find P-90 sized humbuckers. I know Seymour Duncan makes an STK-90 pickup; it's basically a "stacked" humbucker in a P90 shape.
Quote by Firebirdz
The links you posted were to hum cancelling p-90s.
I mean Humbuckers with their own sound,not p-90 sound,that fit in p-90 slots.

If those exist, I can't find them on their website. Care to post a link so that the TS can see them?
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Aug 18, 2009,
I would buy one p90 size humbucker and a noise suppressor and have both tones. If you bought a coil split capable HB you could also have a regular SC, HB and p90. Biggest tonal possibility for least money IMO.

i'm telling you. convenience of a humbucker in a p90-sized p90-sounding package.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

i'm telling you. convenience of a humbucker in a p90-sized p90-sounding package.

THIS is what i've been talking about.
Page 1 of 2