I don't see any difference in them, other than uncovered pickups, dot inlays, no neck binding, and a little bit of a difference on the headstock. I know that this could be it, but why is it $300 cheaper on the gibson website?

Also, did you know that an SG standard is about $800 cheaper on Musicians Friend?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Ok...... but what are the differences?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Angus_Junior35
I don't see any difference in them,other than uncovered pickups, dot inlays, no neck binding, and a little bit of a difference on the headstock. I know that this could be it, but why is it $300 cheaper on the gibson website?

Also, did you know that an SG standard is about $800 cheaper on Musicians Friend?

You listed them lol. Merely cosmetic issues really.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Aug 17, 2009,
I wasn't talking about that kyle.

and thanks Joe
Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Yeah I think you've already answered your own question, no need to make a thread on it.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by Angus_Junior35
I wasn't talking about that kyle.

and thanks Joe

oh you meant the sg std and the special?

well here is my 2 cents.

i feel the special is a sg standard on a budget, same like the les paul studio of the les paul series. it might look the same but it might not sound or feel the same. they use lower grade of wood for the special series and on many occasions i seen series of flaws cosmetically. to this day i still couldn't find one sg special i liked.
Slightly lower quality stuff, lower quality wood and bridge, etc.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by kckyle
oh you meant the sg std and the special?

well here is my 2 cents.

i feel the special is a sg standard on a budget, same like the les paul studio of the les paul series. it might look the same but it might not sound or feel the same. they use lower grade of wood for the special series and on many occasions i seen series of flaws cosmetically. to this day i still couldn't find one sg special i liked.

This. I fiddled with both a Special and a Standard. The Special felt like garbage. Horrible action (just needs a set up) and for some reason it just sounded horrible. The only thing on the head stock was "Gibson". No fancy symbol in the center, and the truss rod cover is blank. (On some) It's a watered down version of the goody.

Then you pickup the Standard and then its like, "Okay, not we're talking." Excellent guitar, bright sound, versitile and everything but not much of a fan of its stock neck pup.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH