hey, i was curious as to how bands who play stadiums, festivals and big venues switch channels on their amps... many have their pedals near the front of the stage and their amps very far back (too far for a footswitch to reach).

my question is how to bands go from clean to distorted on their amps on these big stages?
they get someone to do it for them backstage.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Many use MIDI to control everything and systems like the ones designed by guys like Pete Cornish
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
hey, i was curious as to how bands who play stadiums, festivals and big venues switch channels on their amps... many have their pedals near the front of the stage and their amps very far back (too far for a footswitch to reach).

my question is how to bands go from clean to distorted on their amps on these big stages?

What do you mean it's too far to change channels? All you need is a longer cord.

Anywho, depending on what the persons preferences and they gear they're using you'll see custom built pedal board, midi switching systems, regular pedal boards with wireless systems, etc, etc. You could also have a roadie do all the channel changing and effects switching.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I read in a mag one time that dimebag used to have his tech grady switch stuff for him all the time...even controlling a whammy pedal for him....I remember seeing metallica a long time ago and being really close and kirk had some type of wireless wahs all over the huge stage....maybe it was a rack wah system with multiple inputs...I don't know
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Footswitch with a long cable.

Or a midi controller switching between preset sounds.

Or their guitar tech does it for them backstage.

EDIT: Or wireless systems.
***Short Sig***
Everybody does it differntly. Lots of bigger bands use MIDI controllers on stage or have a tech do switch for them. I wouldnt trust a single man to switch my stuff though, can you imagine how bad it would be if something went wrong?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']Footswitch with a long cable.

Or a midi controller switching between preset sounds.

Or their guitar tech does it for them backstage.

EDIT: Or wireless systems.

Also,

Just pay a roadie to sit in front of your effects, midi and head and press buttons for your channel switching.

Dimebag's guitar tech, Grady Champion, was his third hand and foot. He handled a lot of on-the-fly real-time switching, gain tweaking and noise suppression as Dimebag moved all over the stage. According to Grady it was critical for him to be on the ball with Dimebag's feedback control because Dimebag's rig was easily prone to feedback.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum

telekinesis
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
can someone describe how midi controllers work to switch the channels on an amp?

Usually they are switched via a master footswitch. This has several switches on it. Essentially the amps channel switching output is hooked into a relay-ing "brain unit". This unit switches between several different "loops". This is at least the way the Ground Control system, Axxess system, Skydstrup, Sound Sculpture. They all work in this manner.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
can someone describe how midi controllers work to switch the channels on an amp?

Don't have first-hand experience with guitar-orientated midi controllers, but if a footswitch can transmit MIDI data there's no reason why MIDI can't be converted back into a analog data. Sure they control lighting rigs with it, they can sure control amps.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
I know Slash has wahs all over the place on stage, and I believe Kirk Hammett also does.

But I've heard some pros have clean/OD swithces on the guitar. Is there any truth to this?
some people just don;t channel switch very often. Zakk Wylde just rolls back his volume for clean sounds (which doesn't occur very often :p. that what most players used to do before all these fancy channel switching gizmos.

Quote by yjeezy45
I know Slash has wahs all over the place on stage, and I believe Kirk Hammett also does.

But I've heard some pros have clean/OD swithces on the guitar. Is there any truth to this?

Jerry Garcia had an effects loop built into his guitar, IIRC. i think Frank Zappa had a pedal or two built into his SG.

there have been built in distortion devices available for guitarists for years. check out Dan Armstrong's effects.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by rdobson2
I read in a mag one time that dimebag used to have his tech grady switch stuff for him all the time...even controlling a whammy pedal for him....I remember seeing metallica a long time ago and being really close and kirk had some type of wireless wahs all over the huge stage....maybe it was a rack wah system with multiple inputs...I don't know

kirk has guy offstage doing it
Quote by AkiraSpectrum

They usually have ppl do it for them, and sure they don't usually make foot swtiches that far but u can easily make one as long as u want haha, even i know how to and im 15 :P
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
I cannot imagine having someone else control the wah, and I'm almost positive that evreryone controls it themselves.

As for footswitches, you can probably make them wireless and put em as far as u want.
I think it would sound awsome with a more experimental band, but not with any typical band... I went to see a improv jazz group over the summer who ran all their mics through the keyboard player's effects and let him mess around with the entire mix. Looped sax rules

Anyway, SERIOUSLY OT...
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
The footswitch for my amp has a rediculously short lead, so I just use a stereo 1/4" jack to jack coupler and another stereo lead. Works fine. If I can do it, guitarists from big bands can definately do it (and probably better!).
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
ye, i see keyboard players acting like "sound guys' quite often
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by Regensgeliebte
ye, i see keyboard players acting like "sound guys' quite often
Because unlike most they actually understand technology Some of the posts in the recording forum here are hilarious...
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
Because unlike most they actually understand technology Some of the posts in the recording forum here are hilarious...

More like most of the posts in this thread are hilarious

I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Haha I dotn see a way of making a Wireless Footswitch.. and it's pointless..you jsut take a TS 1/4" jack female o same Male and you get longer cable... plus the footswitch cables dont carry an audio signal so you won't have to worry about signal loss or something...
Quote by vigenharutyunya
Haha I dotn see a way of making a Wireless Footswitch.. and it's pointless..you jsut take a TS 1/4" jack female o same Male and you get longer cable... plus the footswitch cables dont carry an audio signal so you won't have to worry about signal loss or something...

Actually that's a good point... how long would a footswitch cable have to be for interference to be a problem?
Quote by Tombe