Im trying too get rid of my marshall mg50dfx and I found a guy on craigslist that has a Peavey xxx 212 for $500. Is this a really good tube amp for playing rock, metal? Or should I pass on it.
I have a XXX head. All the gain you'll ever need and then some. It'll destroy your MG.

EDIT: cleans are just average, but do you really care?
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 17, 2009,
Yeah lol I know. I got the mg a year ago when i started playing and i want too upgrade now. Was looking at a fender hot rod deville but its too much. so the peavey will kick some ass huh!!
The XXX is one of the models people seem to like around here, along with the 6505, JSX and Classic. Peavey makes good, low-cost products these days.
Quote by Larry O.
Yeah lol I know. I got the mg a year ago when i started playing and i want too upgrade now. Was looking at a fender hot rod deville but its too much. so the peavey will kick some ass huh!!

Well, the HRD is not meant for playing metal at all so the XXX will definetly be better for that.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
It's good and a good deal.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Depending on the condition it's a pretty good deal, but it's not the best amp. It's better than a MG, VK and some others, so you are heading in the right direction. I traded a guitar for a XXX head, then turned around and sold it. I had plans on using it as a backup amp, but it's not what I wanted. It's a 3 channel head, but there's not much difference between the 2 OD channels. It's a lil thin sounding, think Bees in a tin can distortion. The clean is lifeless. it's def. powerful. It's going take A LOT of time to tweak the settings to your liking. For the clean, add some decent efx to clean it up a lil bit and add some sweetness to the mix. Distortion channels you may want to add either a solid distortion or OD stomp box into it (ala distortion add on) to thicken up the sound. Make sure the amp's gain is down and the stomp box gain is up.

All in all, go for it. It'll be good for you now. Down the line I say try a Marshall, Mesa, Soldano, etc.

YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT A CARVIN LEGACY. The clean channel is one of the best out there and the distortion is awesome.

Im trying too get rid of my marshall mg50dfx and I found a guy on craigslist that has a Peavey xxx 212 for $500. Is this a really good tube amp for playing rock, metal? Or should I pass on it.
^Most of the problems you mentioned sound to me like they where probably due to the bias being set to cold, warm up the bias and the cleans become very nice, equal to any Mesa I have ever used, and the OD becomes much more full. Also keeping the gain knobs below 6 helps as well, any more than that the amp become fizzy, still even at 6 there is more than enough saturation. Keep in mind they are a tweekers amp keep all the Eq Knobs at 12:00 and then shape your tone from there. $500 is a good price, when properly setup these amps are tough to beat for rock-metal as far as versatily and value is concerned, IMO these amps are killer.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by mwalluk
Depending on the condition it's a pretty good deal, but it's not the best amp. It's better than a MG, VK and some others, so you are heading in the right direction. I traded a guitar for a XXX head, then turned around and sold it. I had plans on using it as a backup amp, but it's not what I wanted. It's a 3 channel head, but there's not much difference between the 2 OD channels. It's a lil thin sounding, think Bees in a tin can distortion. The clean is lifeless. it's def. powerful. It's going take A LOT of time to tweak the settings to your liking. For the clean, add some decent efx to clean it up a lil bit and add some sweetness to the mix. Distortion channels you may want to add either a solid distortion or OD stomp box into it (ala distortion add on) to thicken up the sound. Make sure the amp's gain is down and the stomp box gain is up.

Really? That's strange. The xxx has really good distortion and the cleans aren't that bad. It's a little better than a 5150's cleans, so it's kinda hard to complain. Chorus it up and it's all good. And most people who play metal use OD's in the distortion channels anyways. That's like a given thing that you do when you play metal.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack