Once I get an idea about what to write about it normally flows out of me and I normally make a nice riff or progression to go with it... But I have serious problems coming up with something serious to write about. I play in a rock band with more of a 70's style guitar riffs or some form of ballads. So far I have 2 good songs one about rising to the top of a challenge and the other about a girl. But my other ideas are things like the bottle beside my computer and stupid things like that. Can anyone help me with picking things to write about?
Last edited by RockThisCity at Aug 17, 2009,
maybe just compromise. stick to what comes naturally but make it sound like its serious or to the point.
what helps me to write is to tell a story within the song. or idk i call them like quick changes. when the song is going one way, then just changes and its almost like smashing 2 songs together.
or write about
government
society
death
happiness
..... google these things lol
you need an outlet for your less-than-serious ideas. side project!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Silly songs are sometimes the best! i like the side project idea, or u could just take ur wierd songs and try to find some metaphor to associate with it, so when people ask you why are u singing about that? you could say its much deeper than that... it worked for bob dylan

but seriously just write whatever you want!
i have the same problem, but honestly, look at todays music. when is there ever a serious song nowadays?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.