hey, guitarists, i need a honest answer.

okay i'm 13 and i've been playing for about 7 months. i can play the interence to crazy train, i can do most of the begenning sologels to one by metallica (and yes i can do it's chorus). i can play the night by disturbed by playing the rythem guitar (so yes i can play the whole song) i can play almost all of talk dirty to me, i play down with the sickness with almost perfection, i can play the chorus of angels by haste the day, fully, and i can play the main riff in last resort by papa roach.

oh ya i can play the entire smells like teen spirit song (including the solo).

am i a good guitarists and what is my level.

Does anybody know any songs i should learn?
i think you should spend less time playing guitar and more time paying attention in english... btw, your age has nothing to do with how good you should be, i've seen an 8 year old that could out shred 80% of guitarists, it's how long you've been playing, not how long you've been alive.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
That's pretty standard for 7 months so I'd say you're on the right track.
does it really matter??? go to a music store and play and if someone walks by and says something then yeah your good. (happened to me a few times) or just play in front of your friends and get their opinion. so u can play certains parts of songs...if u can apply those skills to create new stuff...then yeah u would be good.
the fuck is a sologel?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I would say you're an OK guitarist. It's great you can play fast songs and can play some more complex stuff. But a good guitarist can play any genre of music right on the spot. Learn music theory and just jam. That's the direction I think you should go, but do what you want. Being able to pick up the guitar and play what you want verses what you know is much better.
Quote by pwrmax
That's pretty standard for 7 months so I'd say you're on the right track.

This.

However, it is important to become somewhat adequate at speaking/writing English if you plan on speaking/writing in English. I know music is the language of the world, but English is useful too.
your better than me I can't do begenning sologels...
but maybe someday ill learn..
^ English may not be his first language.

Playing wise - w/o hearing him play, it sounds like he has been busy learning a lot of stuff, so I'd say he's on the right track.
Quote by yabes24
your better than me I can't do begenning sologels...
but maybe someday ill learn..

ohh god im tearing up with laughter

ahahah

sologels

ahahahahah

ahahhahah

this needs to be a meme
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
your awesome, it took me 10 years to learn how to sologel

didnt see the post above me, now i look like a strap-on
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis 2 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by se012101
^ English may not be his first language.

I was thinking that too, because there was some language I recall that uses gel as some part of speech (like past or present tense or more than one object, etc.) or something.

I think it was Turkish, but I'm not too sure. I used to spend alot of time playing Knight Online, so yeah...
I hate threads like I'm 13 I can play so and so am I good?
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by krookneck12

okay i'm 13 and i've been playing for about 7 months. i can play the interence to crazy train, i can do most of the begenning sologels to one by metallica (and yes i can do it's chorus). i can play the night by disturbed by playing the rythem guitar (so yes i can play the whole song) i can play almost all of talk dirty to me, i play down with the sickness with almost perfection, i can play the chorus of angels by haste the day, fully, and i can play the main riff in last resort by papa roach.

In the grand scheme of things...no, you are not a good guitarist. From what you have said, however, you seem to be getting better at copying other guitarists.
Yeah it takes awhile to learn how to sologel the right way you'd need a few marty friedman lessons to learn how to do that sh*t properly...
Quote by Tsunoyukami
This.

However, it is important to become somewhat adequate at speaking/writing English if you plan on speaking/writing in English. I know music is the language of the world, but English is useful too.

Heh, well said.

Also, I'd like to point out that being over-accomplished or under-par for your current age (which is a subjective, personal thing, anyway) maybe not be the most relevant thing. After all, what's the point if 3 years from now you've grown cocky and lost your motivation? Sure, your current level is important now, but it's not everything if you don't continue to apply yourself.
Okay everybody, I SPEAK ENGLISH AND ALWAYS HAVE! I wrote that late at night, so I was about to pass out at the computer. And I also did leave a few things out; I can play anberlin's "Breathe" and I can also play "Every Rose Has it's Thorn" (but who can't).
And by the way, this is not just a thread where i say "I'm 13 I can play so and so am I good?". I am asking because I grew up watching both of my uncles shred harder than anybody i've seen. I am asking because I would like to know if I have any chance in getting in a band later in life.
Just play regularly and you should improve. Playing songs that are difficult is good for improvement too (Only if you practice it a lot and can play it decently).

If you try to get a band, knowing at least some theory can help a lot too. Learn a couple scales and practice some improv. I'd try to figure out songs on your own as well instead of going to a tab right away. That will improve your musical ear.

Playing sologels aren't really that important when you're writing your own music. Just get something catchy and if it calls for a sologel then put one in.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
haha age has nothing to do with your playing. if your 13 or 27. it doesnt matter haha. just if your like 5 xD
On getting in a band, whether you totally shred or play powerchords well doesn't matter. I'm a decent player but for my band, I play powerchords, nothing too fancy, but it's what we like, y'know? I think you seem to be on the right track but I'd say try learning theory and scales and such.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
OK. now explain what a sologel is
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
jesus. if i was y'all's mod, i would've kicked half of your asses just now. and that's saying something if i mod the pit.

TS, you're good for your level. i would recommend, now that the mechanics of playing have been learned, you need to really hit the theory hard. i started playing guitar at 10. i was where you are, but the reason i'm not a great guitarist anymore is because i stopped progressing. i didn't internalize all the theory i learned. it went in one ear and out the other. so hear i am taking music classes (for my major) in university. i do have an alright basis in theory, but nothing extraordinary.

learn it now. it may seem boring since you just want to shred, but trust me. playing will get boring in a couple of years if you don't. it took picking up bass a year ago to really rejuvenate my love for music. and NOW, at 19, i'm seriously studying theory. just get lessons, learn to read (music that is) and read discussions in this forum to get acquainted with the thinking side of playing.
#DTWD
Primusfan is correct, the earlier you start learning theory the better.
Try not to get frustrated if your skill doesn't improve as fast as you like, and remember accuracy first speed later.
When the last living thing has died on account of us,
how poetical it would be if Earth could say,
in a voice floating up perhaps from the floor of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done. People did not like it here."
you are a level 19 paladin guitarist...

that's the meanest i'm going to be. You aren't bad kid. I'mna steal a bit from all ofthe good posts prior to mine.

Before college I had 2 guitar teachers. The first (who was actually an oboe player) taught me chords and the pentatonic scales along with a small handful of songs. From there I got a small band together and applied what I had learned. Ultimately quitting lessons when he tried to teach me theory.

Down the road I realized I sucked at sologels (sorry i had to throw it in there). So I got another teacher. This guy tried to drill theory into my skull, but all I wanted was to know how to write amazing solos over anything anyone played. So I got impatient and quit.

Again down the road when I was in college I attempted a music minor. Which involved passing a music theory exam. I couldn't pass it, so they put me in remedial music theory. Now here I am a college grad with only a taste of the concept of theory. In the very little I learned my playing has increased unbelievably so.

And finally to my point. It's awesome you look up to your uncles. Jame with them when you can. But first learn some theory. Learn the pentatonics and some major scales, learn chord theory so you can construct some badass chords, and then instead of learning songs, write your own pieces over it. Then jam with your uncles and you'll have so much to throw into the jam you'd impress even the most seasoned shredder.

Patience and theory and you'll rock harder than anyone in this forum. Well maybe not harder... but at least stay on par...
Quote by krookneck12

It doesn't matter what your "level" is.

Just keep playing, keep learning...... and enjoy it.

btw, I would suggest getting more experience, and learning to read before tackling music theory as suggested above. Theory is a great thing to get into, but doing it pre-maturely often leads to confusion and misconception. You want to have some general knowledge and playing ability 1st.
shred is gaudy music
I'd say ur ok, but it sounds like u know just bits of songs, i'd suggest learning every note of the song and being able to play them without looking at your hands, a good way to practice this is playing the dark haha (i do that every night)
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
considering we havent heard you play what you say, how can any of us truely answer your question? sure you can write that you play those songs. but can you play them well? i know tons of players that say they can play this and that but when you hear them its a sloppy mess.

and age means nothing really. what matters is years playing. people only say "good for your age" because in general younger people dont take up instruments seriously.
stop bashing on the poor kid... hes 13 and its normal not to understand everything about music at that age (nor should you believe you know everything about music at any age actually). No reason for putting him down just because he want a bit of recognition. We all do at that age...

Yes your good now go play some more you'll get even better and try to make your own stuff that's where talent really is important.

btw hes prolly not native English (considering hes 13 he is quite decent when i was his age i wasn't as good as him and English is not my main language either. )
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
it doesn't matter about copying peoples songs all the time, try learning scales, chords, etc. you have only described some of the songs which you can play, not the theory so we may all get the wrong impression here.

keep jamming, get into a band as soon as possible.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.