On my friend's Yamaha Pacific, following a repair job, for some reason the high-e won't make a sound through his amp when you press down on the 15-17th frets. is this an issue related to the wiring or is the pickup faulty?
ummm. neither. assuming I'm reading it right, its a fret problem
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
sorry i should've probably explained it a little better.

the notes play perfectly fine *sometimes*. when you switch to the bridge pickup the notes play fine *sometimes* whereas the neck and middle pickups do make a note but the resulting sound is weak and lacks sustain.
Well in that case, rewire it, then if it still is screwy you'll know its a p/up problem (most likely)
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
unplugged it sounds great (generally the case with pacificas). it played like a beauty prior to the repair so we're sure whoever did the job wasn't up to snuff.
@phat studd 55: will give it a shot. thanks for the tip.

btw thanks for the quick reply guys
and i meant what do you hear unplugged when you play those soundless frets
nothing... there's no buzz or anything... the notes ring nice and clear.

the repair was a complete rewiring because the potmeters and switch were being replaced.
that seems really strange . . why it would only go on the 15th-17th frets . . . i would think it's your pickups not picking up those frequencies, if your action is fine and it plays good when you aren't plugged in.

EDIT: where are SYK or Jim when you need them . . .
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Last edited by ice condition at Aug 17, 2009,
The problem is your wiring do not raise your action on the guitar thats bad advice this clearly has nothing to do with the action on the guitar. MetalHead will definatly be better than me at trouble shooting here.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
The way you're describing things makes it hard to be sure about anything, but trying to factor in everything you've said I'm inclined to think you have some pickups wired out of phase or something like that.

I'd overhaul the wiring, sounds like somebody wasn't paying attention.
i haven't changed the action yet thankfully. i'm not much of a techie so i'll have it checked out at another guitar shop. thanks for the help guys.
or take it back to the same guy, maybe they'll redo it for free
Quote by Metalhead_28
The way you're describing things makes it hard to be sure about anything, but trying to factor in everything you've said I'm inclined to think you have some pickups wired out of phase or something like that.

I'd overhaul the wiring, sounds like somebody wasn't paying attention.

Sorry to jack this thread OP.

MetalHead. Could you pop over to the Tonewood thread and look at some wood for me please?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Zida
or take it back to the same guy, maybe they'll redo it for free

Maybe. But I wouldn't want a free job from someone who blew it the first time.
That's a screwy sounding problem! Sounds like Metalhead is on the right track.
Maybe you have a section of that fret that isn't as smooth as it should be anymore, so when it gets bent slightly the note fades, leaving nothing for the amp to pick up except for a small signal. It might be that somehow that bump or w/e is hitting/causing a harmonic from it. Thats really the only thing that makes sense to me. The good news? Repeated bends in the problem area should fix, or at least confirm the problem.

I'm going to stick with fret problems, because I can't think of any wiring problem that would involve where you fretted a string to matter.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
yea, this whole thing is quite the mind****.

i would for sure be suggesting that it's a physical (fret/action/buzzing) type problem, except that he says the note rings perfect unplugged... thats what gets me...
i would have figured the fret was worn down like on my ibby, that still could be its just hes pressing down harder when its unplugged?
~Defiant~
^i would still say it has everything to do with the pickups. the pole pieces may be out of whack due to a bad soldering job or what-have-you. he said he could still hear the notes when the guitar was not plugged in, ie: acoustic, so it HAS to be something with the wiring, or the pickups just sucked to begin with.

in this "repair job", what EXACTLY did the tech do? replace pickups/pots/switch/what?
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Quote by ice condition
^i would still say it has everything to do with the pickups. the pole pieces may be out of whack due to a bad soldering job or what-have-you. he said he could still hear the notes when the guitar was not plugged in, ie: acoustic, so it HAS to be something with the wiring, or the pickups just sucked to begin with.

in this "repair job", what EXACTLY did the tech do? replace pickups/pots/switch/what?

The magnetic field is not concentrated specifically above the pole piece. It is strongest above the pole though

TS-Try moving the pickup closer to the string. That way other magnetic fields will be crossed by the string. This should reveal whether or not it is indeed the pickup, but I highly doubt this.