My old Vox Valvetronix has three pots that need to be replaced, they just turn 360 degrees because my friend ruined them. I have to replace the pots, which I need some help doing. I have experience soldering and with electronics, but really don't know much about amps. What kind of pots would I need for each knob and are there any precautions I should take when changing them?

Help would be really appreciated.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by Invader Jim
all you have to do is buy new pots that match the values and taper of the old ones. they'll say the taper and value on them somewhere.

So I just get the new pots, take the old ones out and solder new ones in? Is there something I should be worried about in terms of electricity? Thanks for the info, btw.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
amp should be unplugged. Don't know about hybrids like that one, but for tube amps, you gotta drain the power even when it's unplugged. They hold a little bit of juice I believe.

and google it to find the manual or something where they tell you pot values and tapers.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Do what everyone else above me has said, nothing hard to do..

Then rape your friend.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by apak
amp should be unplugged. Don't know about hybrids like that one, but for tube amps, you gotta drain the power even when it's unplugged. They hold a little bit of juice I believe.

and google it to find the manual or something where they tell you pot values and tapers.

How would I go about draining the power? Just letting it sit?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by apak

Manuals are jsut for casual users. only a schem will give that info.

If the power section is tube, don't go into it. take it to a tech.

If its just a tube preamp, you really don't have anything to worry about.

edit: again, if it's all-tube or has a tube power amp section, you gotta drain the caps. plenty of tuts on the internet, but I advise against you doing it yourself, since you lack experience. the filter caps retain very high voltages. They can be lethal.

SS amps dont use high voltages and they drain themselves as soon as the power switch is off, so they aren't dangerous. tubes stop conducting when the cathodes cool off. SS devices continue to conduct regardless.
If I recall correctly the Valvetronix series only has like a singe tube preamp, so I should be good then, right?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Alright, thanks a lot for the help guys. Do you by any chance know where I can get the pots cheap online? I can't look in the amp now, but tomorrow I'm gonna open it up and find out the tapers and values.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
smallbearelec.com sells a lot of pots for cheap.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Once again I can't thank you guys enough for this, I'll use my multimeter just to be sure I won't be zapped, but you guys helped clear things up.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
What did your friend do to them? Are you sure the knobs haven't just come loose and so spin, withour turning the pot?
Quote by supergerbil
What did your friend do to them? Are you sure the knobs haven't just come loose and so spin, withour turning the pot?

I have no clue what he did to them, I let him borrow it and now the knobs are done. I know for a fact they aren't loose, as they don't work at all and are ready to come apart.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by Edwardthegreat5
I have no clue what he did to them, I let him borrow it and now the knobs are done. I know for a fact they aren't loose, as they don't work at all and are ready to come apart.

What a great, awesome friend. Anyways, pull off the knobs and see what's up.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I wouldn't say we're friends anymore. It's not the fact that he broke it, but how he acted when he broke it.

Anyways, I called the local repair shop and they said they would charge $120 to repair it! Outrageous for just a simple fix. Although I admit it's not so simple due to one of the pot screws being stripped, making it damn near impossible to take it off.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Got it off with a dremel, but I don't know why Vox had to make it so difficult to get to the pot board. I had to unscrew everything else, unscrew the board (which was attached by two awkwardly placed screws) and finally I was able to get to the pots. The local shop doesn't carry the type of pot that's used in the amp so I'll have to order them online.

Until then, are there any do's and don'ts I should know about? Would there be any adverse effects if I used a different kind of pot? And is there any reason why the pots are mounted directly to the board?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
^ But what if the values don't match? Would I fry the amp or just change the sound?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky