Before you say anything, this in no way, shape or form involves drugs. I don't do drugs...just the caffeine in my soda.

Anyways, last night, I was trying to sleep, and like usual, it just wasn't happening. Finally, at about 3 AM, I could feel the weight of my eyes getting heavy. I thought to myself "Yes! Finally sleep." Little did I know that what I would actually be getting was nothing short of a mindf*ck.

Basically, what I remember is that I was having an odd nightmare type thing involving my friends. I can't remember the context, but I think they were in dire straits. However, the entire time, I was awake in my exterior. I could look around my room, but I couldn't move. The most specific thing I remember about my exterior actions was that I could see the time illuminated on the ceiling (I have a clock that shines the time on the ceiling with a powerful "laser".) I saw a wide variety of times, but the ones I remember most are 4:34 AM and 5:29 AM.

So, I don't know exactly what was happening, but it freaked me out and I'm kind of scared of trying to sleep tonight.
Has anyone else ever experienced this before, and if so, do you have an explanation for it? Like I said, I don't do drugs, so that's out of the question. I don't drink so that's out of the question. My theory is that I was sleeping with my eyes open and dreaming, but I don't know.

tl;dr: I had a weird nightmare/hallucination, but my exterior was conscious during the entire thing.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
sleep paralysis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Quote by wikipedia

Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes.

In addition, the paralysis state may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger.[11] Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual due to the vividness of such hallucinations.[12] The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful, or dream-like, objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghostly encounters.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Aug 17, 2009,
Look at my avatar. DO IT

Cause that's what you're getting tonight

And to be serious , it already happened to me kinda except that I was confortable with it. Happens pretty much I would say, monthly?
Sounds like a dream to me.

Last night I had one where I was uncovering a drug smuggling plot at my old high school, then they framed me and I got put into jail. Then upon getting out of jail, I go back to get revenge and those bastards get me sent back. I also mananged to get a wife and kid somehow, even though I was in prison for 12 years, and I got sent there at high school age.

amidoinitrite?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

Damn...that sounds like exactly what happened. Thanks for posting this.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by toxictaipan
iknowwhatitis.jpg

Drugs? Am I right?

Quote by SGstriker
Before you say anything, this in no way, shape or form involves drugs. I don't do drugs...just the caffeine in my soda.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by SGstriker

Anyways, last night, I was trying to sleep, and like usual, it just wasn't happening. Finally, at about 3 AM, I could feel the weight of my eyes getting heavy. I thought to myself "Yes! Finally sleep." Little did I know that what I would actually be getting was nothing short of a mindf*ck.

Basically, what I remember is that I was having an odd nightmare type thing involving my friends. I can't remember the context, but I think they were in dire straits. However, the entire time, I was awake in my exterior. I could look around my room, but I couldn't move. The most specific thing I remember about my exterior actions was that I could see the time illuminated on the ceiling (I have a clock that shines the time on the ceiling with a powerful "laser".) I saw a wide variety of times, but the ones I remember most are 4:34 AM and 5:29 AM.

So, I don't know exactly what was happening, but it freaked me out and I'm kind of scared of trying to sleep tonight.
Has anyone else ever experienced this before, and if so, do you have an explanation for it? Like I said, I don't do drugs, so that's out of the question. I don't drink so that's out of the question. My theory is that I was sleeping with my eyes open and dreaming, but I don't know.

tl;dr: I had a weird nightmare/hallucination, but my exterior was conscious during the entire thing.

Which friend got to be Mark Knopfler?
Quote by kevC4
ಠ_ಠ

That was one of my more strange experiences though. I thought I was going clinically insane at one point.

EDIT: I was Mark Knopfler
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Last edited by SGstriker at Aug 17, 2009,
I used to work incredibley illegal overtime hours at Wal-mart because of the cash needs. My girl told me she'd wake up to me pissed off trying to scan a pillow with no barcode.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456
I used to work incredibley illegal overtime hours at Wal-mart because of the cash needs. My girl told me she'd wake up to me pissed off trying to scan a pillow with no barcode.

Well...I suppose since I'm kind of stressed out about my friends all leaving for college, and that I haven't been sleeping much lately, that it could be why I had a nightmare about them while being somewhat lucid.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I had a dream last night that I was guest starring in an episode on That 70's show. I was giving advice to Fez, and Kurtwood Smith was directing. Propbably one of the cooler dreams I've ever had.

Anyway, back onto the primary topic. Many times in the past year or so I've been lying in my bed, trying to sleep. I look at my clock, and it's 1:30 am. I close my eyes, but I'm definitely conscious. I look back over at the clock about 5 minutes later, and it's 4:40 am. What happened to those three hours. I feel like I never went to sleep and I feel like I never woke up. I was just lying there.

Somewhat related?
"Perception of Balance " - My album.

"Run away from the ending road, the desolate cold, and the broken home."
Quote by SGstriker

That was one of my more strange experiences though. I thought I was going clinically insane at one point.

EDIT: I was Mark Knopfler

Haha I see

Well, you said that you had difficulties sleeping when it happened and uh it always takes a while for me to sleep, I guess that could be a reason why it happens more frequently for me.

It OFTEN happens when I try to concentrate on sleeping or/and on a dream too (I say concentrate because since it takes me a while to go asleep, I don't really think about it, I just think about random things and stuff). It would make me not exactly lucid but just like the state you described in your first post. I could be in my dream and see my brother on my pc, whining (playing games and being an ass lol) , could see my room and etc.
Quote by czlespaul
I had a dream last night that I was guest starring in an episode on That 70's show. I was giving advice to Fez, and Kurtwood Smith was directing. Propbably one of the cooler dreams I've ever had.

Anyway, back onto the primary topic. Many times in the past year or so I've been lying in my bed, trying to sleep. I look at my clock, and it's 1:30 am. I close my eyes, but I'm definitely conscious. I look back over at the clock about 5 minutes later, and it's 4:40 am. What happened to those three hours. I feel like I never went to sleep and I feel like I never woke up. I was just lying there.

Somewhat related?

Yeah...sort of.
I guess the thing that really threw me off about this was the nightmare. If I hadn't had that, maybe I'd just think that I was sleeping really lightly or something like that. Because there were periods of time where my eyes were closed. I know I saw the clock many times on my ceiling, but I only remember the two times that I put in my original post.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by wyldething

Exactly what I thought
Quote by wyldething

The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick
No doubt sleep paralysis
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I agree with everyone who's saying sleep paralysis.
My brother says he gets it every now and again.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
I would say sleep paralysis.

It's not uncommon, I watched a doco about it a year or so ago, since then I've heard about it quite a lot, mostly on UG too.

Some people induce lucid dreams by first going into a forced state of sleep paralysis... I can't do it for the life of me, partly because I'm afraid of sleep paralysis. You should try that though.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
You're displaying symptoms of a rather aggressive case of sleep paralysis/night terrors.

It occurs under large amounts of stress and is agitated by caffeine usage and is most prominent in early childhood and adolescence.

Essentially, what happens is your brain releases levels of DMT (DiMethyltryTamine) (an hallucinogenic found in cough syrups) when you dream. The DMT levels stay higher then when one is awake through out the rest of your sleep cycles, even outside of the REM (dream cycle stages). For whatever reason, some people are prone to waking during the time right after or before REM sleep, occasionally, you will regain consciousness, but the part of your brain controlling your movements doesn't recognize that you're conscious and it is still blocking major muscle movements (so you don't act out your dreams). Often times, these are accompanied by hallucinations because there are still copious amounts of DMT still being produced by your brain that has failed to been absorbed during the REM cycles of your sleep.

You also mentioned being aware of your dreams whilst dreaming, which is called lucid dreaming.

However, due to the fact that you said it seemed to last quite a while, it may be possible you have a form of narcolepsy, and I would recommend seeing a neurologist in case.

I just typed all that up, I hope you read this and reply.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

sounds intriguing, I wouldn't mind having it.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
You're displaying symptoms of a rather aggressive case of sleep paralysis/night terrors.

It occurs under large amounts of stress and is agitated by caffeine usage and is most prominent in early childhood and adolescence.

Essentially, what happens is your brain releases levels of DMT (DiMethyltryTamine) (an hallucinogenic found in cough syrups) when you dream. The DMT levels stay higher then when one is awake through out the rest of your sleep cycles, even outside of the REM (dream cycle stages). For whatever reason, some people are prone to waking during the time right after or before REM sleep, occasionally, you will regain consciousness, but the part of your brain controlling your movements doesn't recognize that you're conscious and it is still blocking major muscle movements (so you don't act out your dreams). Often times, these are accompanied by hallucinations because there are still copious amounts of DMT still being produced by your brain that has failed to been absorbed during the REM cycles of your sleep.

You also mentioned being aware of your dreams whilst dreaming, which is called lucid dreaming.

However, due to the fact that you said it seemed to last quite a while, it may be possible you have a form of narcolepsy, and I would recommend seeing a neurologist in case.

Okay. In light of this, I am worried. I might go and see a doctor if this happens to me again.
In retrospect, it was a cool experience...frightening, but looking back, kind of neat.
But if it's dangerous, I don't want it happening again.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by rooster456

that used to happen to me when i started my job as a cashier
i was afraid if i went back to sleep i'd be fired
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Essentially, what happens is your brain releases levels of DMT (DiMethyltryTamine) (an hallucinogenic found in cough syrups) when you dream.

DXM is in cough syrup. DMT is usually extracted from certain plants.

although its kind of a funny mental picture imagining what would happen if DMT was in cough syrup
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Aug 17, 2009,