So I was playing my strat a few days ago and noticed a strange white line coming from the neck (see pictures) and I was a little bumed thinking I scratched my guitar. Then, the more I thought about it, the more I wondered if I cracked it somehow. Both are very shocking becuase I treat this guitar like its my child. Does anybody know if its a crack or a scratch?

http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/ae268/Hadeys/?action=view&current=IMG_5017.jpg

Notice that its a very odd place for a scratch
Last edited by Hadeys at Aug 17, 2009,
definately could be a crack in the finish. ive seen more then a few mim strats have that happen in roughly the same place around the neck pocket. but as far as the wood goes i wouldnt worry to much about it.
crack in the finish. i wouldn't worry about stability at all, like you said; it's in a weird spot. chances are the neck just put a little stress on the neck pocket and the finish was the only thing to be damaged.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Is there any way I could get it fixed/repaired so it doesnt get any bigger??
Last edited by Hadeys at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Hadeys
Is there any way I could get it fixed/repaired so it doesnt get any bigger??

I doubt it will.. It's very common on older Ibanez models and they play just as fine as they did when they were new. I wouldn't be concerned unless it gets bigger.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I doubt it will.. It's very common on older Ibanez models and they play just as fine as they did when they were new. I wouldn't be concerned unless it gets bigger.

Vai's actual guitar. you can see there's a HUGE crack in the neck pocket there. no real way to stop it, and since that guitar has been used for years and years it's only getting worse. i wouldn't really worry about it much. depending on what kind of guitar you're got it probably won't affect value too much either.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
providing it isn`t affecting the stabilitiy of the neck and is only cracked the finish you`ll be ok, if you start messing with it you could develop the crack further.

re the pic of evo apparently it`s become so unstable that it`s very difficult to keep in tune...
haha yeah i realized after i posted the picture that Evo's is probably a crack well into the body, and so it has nothing to do with this topic at all... so sorry for getting off topic. but it's a pretty cool picture anyway, right? i've heard Vai has replaced the neck a few times trying to get more stability for it, but the guitar might just have to be retired soon. maybe to live a life in the studio.

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
haha yeah i realized after i posted the picture that Evo's is probably a crack well into the body, and so it has nothing to do with this topic at all... so sorry for getting off topic. but it's a pretty cool picture anyway, right? i've heard Vai has replaced the neck a few times trying to get more stability for it, but the guitar might just have to be retired soon. maybe to live a life in the studio.

The neck pocket sides seem to be a weak spot. My guess is somewhere along the line, Vai knocked it around enough to get a crack in the actual body and not just the paint.
Quote by Pac_man0123
The neck pocket sides seem to be a weak spot. My guess is somewhere along the line, Vai knocked it around enough to get a crack in the actual body and not just the paint.

he actually threw it to his tech but forgot to unplug it and then gravity took over it`s all in the evo mini site

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/EVO/EVO_index.html
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 17, 2009,
Well, Evo has only gotten that bad because its been one of Steves main stage guitars for more than a decade. And he does tend to be a bit Vaiolent with his guitars
Its had more than a few neck changes because he's broken them, and its pretty close to getting retired.
Well, you could sand and rebuff it to make it a bit stronger. But it requires quite a bit of works.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Got a very similar crack on my Cort X6 in the same place, hoping it is just in the finish rather than the wood. Soon gonna be stripping it down to refinish it, so I guess I'll find out then!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top, Blue)
Cort X6
Ibanez Gio 7 string

Marshall MG50DFX (needs to go!)
Personally I love guitars with imperfections, they add character and are unique to you. Don't worry as soon as it doesn't actually **** with the sound your good
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah