Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think its more unique to not have a tattoo
yes
82 42%
no
115 58%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 2
Lately everyone is in a rush to get a tat and they don't care what it is. I've seen so many ****ty stars, hummingbirds, harps, music notes, and "inspirational words" inked into hoes feet. Everywhere you go there's a cross on someones arm or their initials. I feel like they're getting real played because people have been getting absolutely meaningless symbols carved in their bodies all for the sake of getting a "tattoo." What do you think?
I think leave them to it because in a few years they will realise that the tattoo is meaningless and will regret getting it
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
This should probably be in the tattoo thread
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Honestly, everything I need to have on my body can, and is done with a sharpie. Looks cool, washes off when I realize how retarded I am, and I don't look stereotypical.
Also, there's a large number of people in my school who rushed to get tattoos for the sake of it, and they will regret this.
I dont think there meaningless. My mom has a couple tattoos that are dedicated to her father who passed away. I dont see how thats meaningless.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Everyone who voted yes are mad their parents won't let them get tattoos.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
stupid crap like tribal designs, kanji charachters and tramp stamps are overdone, nothing wrong with having something cool you designed yourself though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by RJazzLE
Lately everyone is in a rush to get a tat and they don't care what it is. I've seen so many ****ty stars, hummingbirds, harps, music notes, and "inspirational words" inked into hoes feet. Everywhere you go there's a cross on someones arm or their initials. I feel like they're getting real played because people have been getting absolutely meaningless symbols carved in their bodies all for the sake of getting a "tattoo." What do you think?

You do realise you can't tell somebody what's meaning less to them, right?

On the topic: yes, I think tattoos are somewhat of a trend now. And I think that some people will regret it after some time. But I don't know anyone with a tattoo that doesn't have a deeper meaning than what can be deduced at first eyesight. A star isn't always "just a star".

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Why did you make two threads?
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by MushroomBomb
You do realise you can't tell somebody what's meaning less to them, right?

On the topic: yes, I think tattoos are somewhat of a trend now. And I think that some people will regret it after some time. But I don't know anyone with a tattoo that doesn't have a deeper meaning than what can be deduced at first eyesight. A star isn't always "just a star".

Your right I guess I spoke a little vague, I guess I just know too many people who have gotten meaningless tattoos for the sake of being "unique"
Quote by RJazzLE
accident

Delete one.

Yeah I agree... so many people just get something crap. For me, if I were to get one it would have to have a very special and long lasting reason. For me, a family member dying doesn't always warrant one either, and it's not a good way to cope with loss since you have a tat on you everyday for the rest of your grieving process (and life)

EDIT: as for my reason for voting on your poll, I voted yes, based on every day regular tats such as tribals and flowers and stuff. But I know some people who have incredible tattoos that mean a lot to them.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Aug 17, 2009,
I'm not a fan of "cookie cutter tattoos", but I think some are very unique and original, you just gotta come across the right person. My girlfriend has two that are very original but she tells me that I should get one. I would, but I would wanna have something I'd be happy with for the rest of my life, so to avoid the intensive brainstorm-process I just don't ever think of getting one. But maybe in the future...
Quote by wesselbindt
I think tattoo's are a bit lame.

+1
Everyone who gets one young is going to regret it later when they become old and wrinkly, and their tattoo looks like ****.

But don't tell my cousin that, he's a tattoo artist
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by namesroverrated
+1
Everyone who gets one young is going to regret it later when they become old and wrinkly, and their tattoo looks like ****.

But don't tell my cousin that, he's a tattoo artist

Pretty much the stupidest arguement I always have to hear.

NEWS FLASH: At that age, not only will my tattoo look like Shat, but I WILL LOOK like shat!!! I will be old and wrinkly.

"That tattoo is going to look terrible someday when you are real old and have no hair, and your nutsack hangs to your knees, and all your skin hangs off your body, and you use a walker, and wear depends."

Sheesh
Last edited by stangconv at Aug 17, 2009,
Actually my dad was trying trying to explain something along those lines.

He said

"In like 20 years, it will be cool to not have a mutilated body. Everyone will have tattoos and peircings and so few will not."

or something along those lines.
idk i find it annoying when people get tattoos just to get them.

a real tattoo should have meaning (like the snake im getting to represent dedication to working with reptiles)

people now just see them as something that is "badass" or "cool"

tattoos arent supposed to be just about being cool there supposed to be about why you have them in the first place.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
I have wanted a tattoo for years, and I am going to continue to wait. If it still holds the same meaning to me as it does now, I will get it. If not, I wont get one for the sake of getting one.
...In my opinion.
Yeah! Bring back the old days when all people got were panthers, snakes, swallows, I Love Mum and anchors tattood on their bodies!
RULE BRITANNIA
A lot of people I know have been getting them for the sake of getting them, or because they're the fashion. I don't like it when people get dull or bad-looking tattoos, which there are a lot of around.
Quote by stangconv
Here is one of mine...

Its just one tattoo, when you read it one way it says my daughters name (Jacey)

When flipped over it says Cammy, which is my other daughters name.

Ooooh, clever

I will probably end up getting a tattoo at some point, I'm just waiting for an event that I feel is worthy of drawing on myself for
In vaguely related news, I have a large letter 'C' drawn on my stomach in marker pen and a knob drawn on my arm after going to support a friend's wrestling match last night.
I'm getting a couple of tats soon.
"First Light" on left arm "Last Light" on my right
Partly because of my love for sunrises and sunsets (I sort of feel like I owe them one for giving me so many deep, spiritual experiences) and partly because I ****ing love Converge, that's the only band related tattoo I'd ever get though, because those words mean something for me on a personal level, the fact they're titles of Converge titles just sort of made me put 2 and 2 together.

I'm going to get a celtic design on a bicep in the future as well when I move away, to pay homage to the roots of my family.
Quote by stangconv
Here is one of mine...

nice man
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by stangconv
Here is one of mine...

Gonna add another compliment for this one man. Great tattoo.
Quote by Dream Pin
Gonna add another compliment for this one man. Great tattoo.

And another one from me.

I understand if it's someone's children's or wife's name, or a symbol of friendship that a circle of close friends have, but I agree that a lot of people get tatoos that they probably needed help with choosing.
Since when was it unique to have a tattoo?
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Having a tattoo simply for the sake of it is rather idiotic, but if someone really feels like it and have actually put some thought behind it, I don't see any reason for why they shouldn't (apart from the mere fact that at least here in Norway they're expensive as hell).
I've been contemplating a couple for some months, but probably won't get any in the near future.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
If someone gets a tattoo for the hell of it... whatever. If someone thinks I got my tatts for no apparent reason, whatever to that as well. I know why I got my tatts, and that's all that really matters in the end. Tattoos are personal, and sometimes maybe not the tattoo, but the act of getting one is important. Don't make the mistake of assuming that people have a tattoo for the hell of it. You have nothing to base that on, so don't bother. A tattoo doesn't require some deeper meaning. Someone can just get a hummingbird or cross because they think it looks cool.
if you have a full body tattoo, you're going to stand out or be 'unique'

however getting a tribal band round your biceps is not.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If someone gets a tattoo for the hell of it... whatever. If someone thinks I got my tatts for no apparent reason, whatever to that as well. I know why I got my tatts, and that's all that really matters in the end. Tattoos are personal, and sometimes maybe not the tattoo, but the act of getting one is important. Don't make the mistake of assuming that people have a tattoo for the hell of it. You have nothing to base that on, so don't bother. A tattoo doesn't require some deeper meaning. Someone can just get a hummingbird or cross because they think it looks cool.

I mostly agree with you... whatever makes you happy, just do it (I sound like a nike add, but never mind that )
If it makes you happy to get a tattoo no matter what the meaning, go for it.

Personally my 2 tattoos (and the third one that's on the way) mean so much to me and are reflections about who I am and how I see myself... but everyone has to decide for him/her self...

I don't really get your question anyway... why should you bother thinking about why other people have tattoos? If you want one, get one, if you don't one, stay away from the tattoo parlor
Quote by Johnny skins
banned cause im fine because of your avatar! it blasts happyness everytime i see it!!

definitly the best avatar ever I=Cookie

Proud owner of the: I'm wearing clothes in the Pit! Group! Click here to join
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Yes, this...

But also if I want some art on my body for no other reason than I think it's beautiful and want it to be on my body forever than that is my business, and it's not to do with conformity, trends or 'getting a little played'.

If anything this just makes tattoos better because the more popular the industry is the more money there is to go into making what can be done with needles, ink and skin so much better. Already you get ink which lasts longer, thinner needles with lines that don't bleed as much, tattoos that glow and white ink... imagine what else can be done...

I do think you need to think it through properly first though. I see so many emo girls with huge ugly chestpieces and think... did you ever think about how you'll feel about that band/feeling/whatever in 10 years? what if you want a real career instead of working in a bar or whatever? when you can dye your hair, put piercings all over your body, paint makeup on your face... something of the permenance of tattoos seems to be lost on some people.
Page 1 of 2