Page 1 of 2
I have an epiphone Les Paul and a late eighties squire. They do the job but they are not exactly great guitars. Was just wondering what kind of difference does playing a gibson LP and say a standard usa strat, opposed to an epiphone and crappy strat make to sound and playability?? I have being needing to upgrade for ages now, but haven't been able to afford it due to college etc.... Also what other good guitars are out there apart from strats and LP'S? I mainly play blues/rock sort of style so wont be needing a floydrose..... Lived on a crappy island all my life and never had the chance to play any decent guitars, unfortunatley. Cheeeaaars guys!
This is my baby. Adam Black Hydra, they're cheap but great quality because the company's just spreading it's wings.

Ebow > Adam Black Hydra/hhttp://i53.tinypic.com/opzadt.jpg > Morley PVO+ Volume > TC Electronic Polytune > Blackstar HT-DRIVE > EHX Big Muff > Danelectro Danecho > Line 6 Verbzilla > Akai Headrush > Akai Headrush > Laney VC30-212 w/Celestion G12H30 70th SEs
I play a les paul standard, but If I could pick any other guitar to play, it would be a PRS (paul reed smith) guitar. They are about $1000 more than a les paul, so about $3000 dollars, but they have a feature where you can switch the pickups with a knob from single coil to humbuckers and it's tone knobs actually make a big difference as opposed to other guitars where changes in tone are barely noticeable. I've played one a couple of times at a guitar center and they're great. I know santana and mark tremonti play them and they are good for rock and blues.
Quote by royalewcheese35
I play a les paul standard, but If I could pick any other guitar to play, it would be a PRS (paul reed smith) guitar. They are about $1000 more than a les paul, so about $3000 dollars, but they have a feature where you can switch the pickups with a knob from single coil to humbuckers and it's tone knobs actually make a big difference as opposed to other guitars where changes in tone are barely noticeable. I've played one a couple of times at a guitar center and they're great. I know santana and mark tremonti play them and they are good for rock and blues.

Dont forget Paul Waggoner

I only have one guitar I use. A schecter Omen-6 I got a long while ago haha. But, if I had the money I would probably play a PRS custom 24 or a Custom shop neck thru explorer with 24 frets 7 strings and a OFR .
I play a Gibbo LP Studio and a couple of vintage acoustic guitars. Need to update my sig..
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
IBANEZ 7 STRING RG FOR THE MF WIN!

You say that you play Blues/rock, well pick this guitar up in the store and give it a try! You will love the deep bass and you can do anything with this guitar. Not to pricy right around 400. Oh and if you are worried that you wont know what to do with the 7th string, dont. i have been playing only a short time and i can put out some mean solos on the thing.

Peace.
That Adam Black guitar is beautiful! Does anybody know if they ship to the Netherlands?

On topic: see my sig.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom. Dirt cheap, and plays amazing, looks cool and sounds perfect for rock and blues, even comes with a coil tap, Grovers and a Tone-Pros bridge. What's not to like?
An Rg with $200 of customisations done to it so far.
A strat with a les paul neck fitted into it with a bridge pup changed to Humbucker and a mirror pickgaurd with the finish ripped off and more tremelo springs added.
A Musicman OLP I have yet to mod.
An Very nice acoustic electric Yamaha.
The Adam Black Hydra looks amazing!

See sig for mine.
My Strat is currently my main guitar - a very nice instrument to play. Is a little bit 'harder' to play then my ibby [but not really noticeable], but it has tons more soul to it.
My Ibby is the best guitar I own, but it's my second choice - it's only really good for technical playing and instrumentals IMO [ie, Paul Gilbert], and not really for anything else.
My LP Jr copy is pretty good, I like it. Very fun to play, but electronics need work.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Check out the guitar pic´s in my profile, you cant go wrong with any of those.
I have a Gibson Les Paul that I currently use for everything. Shred, Metal, Hard Rock, Blues, you name it. I do sweeps, tapping and pretty much everything one could think of on it (short of installing a floyd rose into the guitar.

My Squier is starting to go haywire and not suitable as a backup guitar (my fault), because the whammy bar has been broken due to abuse in attempts to pull off many different things with it, leading to its breakage. So even if I'm not using the whammy, my squier goes randomly out of tune.

So I'm probably gonna be the market for a new guitar soon, probably an Ibanez for more virtuosic playing a la Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Satch, John Petrucci, etc.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Haha yeah, it's one hell of a gorgeous guitar. I saw it in the shop window about two weeks before buying and nearly doubled over with GAS!

EDIT: This thread is useless without pics, come on guys!
Ebow > Adam Black Hydra/hhttp://i53.tinypic.com/opzadt.jpg > Morley PVO+ Volume > TC Electronic Polytune > Blackstar HT-DRIVE > EHX Big Muff > Danelectro Danecho > Line 6 Verbzilla > Akai Headrush > Akai Headrush > Laney VC30-212 w/Celestion G12H30 70th SEs
Last edited by Graham Simmons at Aug 17, 2009,
I play an Agile AL-2000 and a Squier Affinity Strat.

Once I get most of my new gear, however, I plan on getting a Gretsch G5120 Electromatic Hollowbody or a Gretsch G5122 Electromatic Hollowbody Double Cutaway:

EDIT: Maybe you've noticed, I'm a big fan of sunbursts
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Aug 17, 2009,

early 90's epiphone les paul studio w/emg's, schecter c-1 plus w/emg's and a esp ltd kh-603
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.

michael kelly valor custom, very similar to a prs, just loads cheaper
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Dean RB
Dean Cadillac
Jackson KV
some dodgy''infinity'' 7 string bought off ebay <-- anyone know of this make?
Eko calssical
By the way, did anyone notice my strings?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21239538&postcount=2

wound G baby, hell yeah. Everyone should try these strings.
Custom built guitar.

Seymour Duncan pickups, Wilkinson vibrato, sperzel tuners, etc.

And an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Meh. I want to floyd rose it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Shouldn't this be in the Electric Guitar forum?

And we already have a "post pictures of your gear" thread...

I play a Telecaster.
PRS Standard 22 Satin Nitro (birds)
Ibanez SA160qm (SD Invader and Duncan Performer added) Discontinued
Ibanez AEG10 Acoustic/Electric (sunburst)
Pearl Forum FZ all black (6 piece)
Sig
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Quote by xXfeAzyXx
PRS Standard 22 Satin Nitro (birds)
Ibanez SA160qm (SD Invader and Duncan Performer added) Discontinued
Ibanez AEG10 Acoustic/Electric (sunburst)
Pearl Forum FZ all black (6 piece)
I was going to ask why you bumped, but those are some really sexy guitars.
My favourite guitar is my epiphone SG standard in worn cherry (my favourite colour for SG's)
I also have a epiphone les paul studio which I'm thinking about fitting with invaders, just to get a more gainy sound
I also have a fender mexican fat strat which I love but rarely use for gigs

I love all my guitars, if i could have gibson I would but I'm happy with epiphone untill I become rich
I'm still enamored with my Ernie Ball MusicMan Axis SuperSport

Love it Love it...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear

Left to right

Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Stock)

Ibanez RG560 MIJ
Restored and Modded with a EMG81 in the bridge

ESP KH503
Modded, Emg 81/89, 9/18v, Bell brass sustain block, Tremel-no, Killswitch

All mods done by yours truly
1st guitar;

OLP random model, don't know what it is called but it says Metal Art Traben Design or something on the back It's transparent brown/green :p
oh and its tuned to drop B with ernie ball 10-52's, works better than you'd think. pretty good actually.

2nd guitar:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR, black cherry finish. tuned in D standard with ernie ball 10-52's again. awesomeness
Quote by jonmo1
I'm still enamored with my Ernie Ball MusicMan Axis SuperSport

Love it Love it...

That finish is really cool.
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
a great company to try is Hutchins, english owned, they make great sounding and playable guitars, however id recomend having it set up proffessionally, i did it for £50 and it was so worth it! They arent too expensive either

http://www.hutchinsguitars.com/

this is my Hutchins Regal:

I also use an Epiphone les paul custom, with seymour duncan pickups ('59 and a JB) whish is great for playing classic rock and metal, as well as having a coil tap on the bridge pickup (JB). Deffinately worth putting new pickups in an Epi!

However its only worth getting a good sounding guitar if you have a good sounding amp! more tone comes from the amp then the guitar/pickups
I play an Ibanez JetKing 2 (standard tuning)
Ibanez AS-73 (open E tuning)
and an old vintage hollowbody guitar (open A tuning), don't know the manufacture though (made in Germany)
Control your destiny.
SG standard, Jackson Dkmg, Just traded my strat........But hoping to be adding a 1996 Mia strat tonite, and my trusty ole 1992 Yamaha Rgz612p.