You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I wouldn't start learning to tap using songs to start with. Get your independance between your hands first. Take some arpeggios, play them all across the fretboard, add in notes, change the order of the arpeggio, change tempos, note durations... the more you mix it up, the more justice you do to yourself. By just learning songs, you're just learning the song, if you get what I mean. Sure, you can play that lick really well, but when it comes to something else, it's harder because it's different than what your hands have gotten used to.
Trivium - Broken One.

The bass tapping at the start is quite simple, and the stuff at the end is a little different, but harder.
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
^that^ (up two)

also 'Scarified'

also stickied thread on songs you need to know
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I wouldn't start learning to tap using songs to start with. Get your independance between your hands first. Take some arpeggios, play them all across the fretboard, add in notes, change the order of the arpeggio, change tempos, note durations... the more you mix it up, the more justice you do to yourself. By just learning songs, you're just learning the song, if you get what I mean. Sure, you can play that lick really well, but when it comes to something else, it's harder because it's different than what your hands have gotten used to.

yeah i get what you mean. i need some songs to help me get going on the whole tapping thing. then i could expand more from there. you think you could link me to arpeggios?
Quote by antagonist72
yeah i get what you mean. i need some songs to help me get going on the whole tapping thing. then i could expand more from there. you think you could link me to arpeggios?

An arpeggio is literally a "broken chord." You just tap through a chord playing each note individually. And to me, learning songs first is kind of learning to run before you can walk, but that's just me.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
An arpeggio is literally a "broken chord." You just tap through a chord playing each note individually. And to me, learning songs first is kind of learning to run before you can walk, but that's just me.

I've basically learned all i have by learning songs. I really haven't had a lesson, just a few tips by my step-dad but that's all really. So the whole arpeggio thing, i need to know what some are then i can play them. Get what I'm going at?
G 8
D 9
A 9
E 7

That is a B major chord. An arpeggio is where you play each note individual up, or down, or even up then down, or down then up. You can then spruce it up a bit by adding in other notes around it. When you're practicing, it doesn't matter if the chord used sounds good tonally, as long as the notes are clear.
You can play out simple arpeggio-like preogressions by just taking the 1st, 3rd and 5th note of a major scale and playing them in succession. This'll generally create quite a good sound. Once you have done that for a while, move on the fretboard (for example, play CEG, then move to GBD and back). It would be really helpful to have accompaniment consisting of really simple chord progressions to play along to, y'know, 12-bar blues or something.

I would recommend this guide; http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/tapping_on_bass_guitar_part_1_-_basics.html

It starts at the very start and gives you a nice pattern to practice that sounds pretty good.

Good luck.
Last edited by Fraztastick at Aug 17, 2009,
Yeah, what delirium is saying.

quick fanboy : omg protest the hero songs Nautical, Palms Read, The Dissentience, Goddess Gagged, Limb From Limb (end fanboy)

There are other types of arpeggios too (obviously) but these chords aren't usually played by most regular guitarists in form of chord. Think the taps from Eruption, they are arpegiated chords, but who normally does chords like

x-5         x-6
x-5   and   x-6
x-8         x-8

idk where I'm going, sigh.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by antagonist72

Good Songs to Learn Tapping
Quote by gilly_90

'Scarified'

Really?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Really?

The short bass/guitar unison at the end of the intro is tapped.

Metropolis Pt1 (The Miracle and the Seeker) - Dream Theater. This is my current tapping target. Theres a tapped bass solo (Add9 chords) and you can tap the first bit of the instrumental section. I Agree with Delirium about learning chords first though. Learn a few shapes and then build up speed, add notes and make it your own.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

for me i learn songs that have a certain technique i want to learn then eventually stop playing that song when i got what i needed out of it then add my own style to the technique
Quote by killcram187
for me i learn songs that have a certain technique i want to learn then eventually stop playing that song when i got what i needed out of it then add my own style to the technique

That's basically what i did.
Definetly agreeing with what delirium is saying, and as someone else sort of mentioned making the chords add9 (augmenting the octave in simple terms) is a really good way of adding a bit of variety.

And when you're ready:
Mudvayne- Happy

I'm not a metal fan but thats a great song with an easy to moderate tapping bit
becoming the dragon-Trivium. It's not super hard but it is fun and good simple practice.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
What a whole thread and no one mentions Stu Hamm's version of Linus and Lucy? (which btw, makes excellent use of arppegiated chords)
or stu hamm's moon light sonata
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
Quote by TrabenBassist22
becoming the dragon-Trivium. It's not super hard but it is fun and good simple practice.

that end solo is actually one of the reasons why i made this post
Quote by biga29
Really?

I was only being half serious, yeah

most of the song is hard, but the tapping bit is a good excercise to start slowly with and build up speed imo
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
anything by protest the hero
tapping inevery song
most of which takes an experienced tapper a while to learn

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I know a Necrophagist song has been said already but try Fermented Offal Discharge too.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!