Hey UG,

Let me first explain my situation. I've wanted to pick up the harmonica for quite some time now but was waiting for "that moment" to actually do so. Finally it happened when I heard Tom Petty's "Marry Jane's Last Dance" and couldn't get the harp riff out of my head. So I went out and got a Hohner Special 20 C - harp, got home and sat there, listened to the song over and over again trying to copy the riff for a good hour or so with almost no result. Then I got on the internet and found out It was actually played on a G harp.

I've tried getting into the great blues harp players like Little Walter and such with not much luck, since it's not the same kind of sound I originally fell in love with.

So could any of you guys recommend me some artists with a similar harp sound because I don't think you can learn ANY instrument without trying to copy what you hear on records.

Cheers.
i feel sorry for harp players. they are always inducing themselves in a sense of nostalgia.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
What has a harmonica got to do with a harp? Isn't a harp that:

harp is a nickname for harmonica lol, watch the damn blues brothers man!!
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by sylphin
harp is a nickname for harmonica lol, watch the damn blues brothers man!!

Ah right, it just confused me is all.
I too was confused and I've seen the blues brothers twice. *Head desk*
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
i was just messin i dont expect everyone whos seen the blues brothers to know that lol, its just elwood makes a refernce to it near the beginning >.>
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Holy sh*t, imagine a de-tuned distorted harp!
April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain
i have got a blues harp and i try to hear a bob dylan harp "riff" and then try to play it. It works... Bob Dylan isnt a harp virtuoso at all but its fun...
Quote by Demon Wolf
i feel sorry for harp players. they are always inducing themselves in a sense of nostalgia.

Is that a Bill Bailey joke? It sounds really familliar.
Quote by aaciseric
Is that a Bill Bailey joke? It sounds really familliar.

it is.

"IS THIS NOW OR THE PAST?" *mad laugh*
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
What has a harmonica got to do with a harp? Isn't a harp that:

Why do the players always have to tilt it? Couldn't they just build it on an angle?
I have a harmonica and can't play it at all. The tongue technique baffles me