I've finally got myself a piece of equipment that I can be proud of

As of now, I'm the official owner of an ENGL Thunder 50 combo!
I got it used for about 640€ (shipping included).
The reason I got it so cheap is because the reverb isn't functional but I can live with that for now.
I'd like to fix that though, is it possible to do it myself? I read about putting a new reverb tank in it, but I don't know what or how.

Tone wise I'm loving the bassines. I could never achieve that with the small speaker in my old amp.
It's definitely a big step upwards from my little Laney LX12!

pics

Front

Head

Celestion speaker

Family photo with the little brother

If anyone has the same amp, you can always recommend me good tones.
I've currently got this metalcore tone going.

Now all I need is a new guitar

edit: messed up the pics
Last edited by Toxc at Aug 17, 2009,
HNAD!

Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
nice amp dude
HNAD!!
were did u get it from?? ebay?
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Yup, it shipped from Germany to Belgium in 3 days (actually 2, because it arrived this morning)
5 if you include the weekend, but saturday was a holiday so the weekend doesn't count

One thing though, my clean channel breaks up even at low volumes, do I have to turn my guitar volume knob down to keep it clean?
I might buy an overdrive though for the extreem high-gain stuff. The crunch/lead channels are awesome though.
A cheap unknown brand guitar.
a 'VIG Screech' with a licensed FR.
I like the tone it gives me, but it just doesn't feel right. I've played a gibson SG once and it felt a lot more natural. I'd also prefer a fixed bridge.
Sweet amp bro! Congrats!
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
turn down the gain knob and turn up the master if you want it cleaner. one thing i like about my screamer more then the thunder, there is a separate clean volume and gain.
Quote by joe_k
turn down the gain knob and turn up the master if you want it cleaner. one thing i like about my screamer more then the thunder, there is a separate clean volume and gain.

Oh, thought gain was only for the crunch/lead channels
The cleans sound very thick and rich on the neck pickup, and they've got this nice little 'twang' about them on my bridge pickup
Congrats. Since everyone is ignoring your reverb question I will add that I don't know specifics but reverb is usually first to go and is easy to fix/replace.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks.
I'll screw the protection plate of next week, and I'll post a thread with more specific details on the reverb that I find inside.
For now I can live with it.
The only thing that bothers me about it is that the spring makes noise when i let my palm muted notes resonate.
happy NAD my friend!
Peavey 6505+ Head
Mesa/Boogie Oversized Rectifier 4x12 Cab
Schecter Diamond Series 006
Ibanez SZR720 TGB
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Roland Micro Cube 10watt
I'm getting great tones out of it

And this amp has made me improve my playing in 1 day as much as I usually improve in a week, I'm a little bit addicted to it for now.
HNAD é man!
Really unfair you got such a great amp, and I have my Orange Crush... But I guess my (soon) new guitar will make up for that

Veel plezier dermee
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Nice find. The Reverb isn't that great, anyway. You'd be better of getting a T-Rex Tonebug Reverb unit.
You know how to do it right, upgrade amp before guitar :P Nice amp tho XD
~Defiant~
I've got one of those sitting right next to me right now. Arrived 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's pretty straight forward but awesome.

HNAD
Quote by poipoi
HNAD é man!
Really unfair you got such a great amp, and I have my Orange Crush... But I guess my (soon) new guitar will make up for that

Veel plezier dermee

I only just realised what a gift this amp really is, it's a lot of money. But you only turn 18 once :P
I'll have fun al-right!!
What guitar are you aiming for?

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Nice find. The Reverb isn't that great, anyway. You'd be better of getting a T-Rex Tonebug Reverb unit.

Yeah, but the spring makes a vibrating noise when I resonate my palm mutes at higher volumes.
I'd prefer to get it fixed anyway.
Nice ENGL!

HNAD!
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
HNAD!!
Engl amps are amazing, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
Price isn't THAT cheap though, they're about 750-850 new.
I bought my Screamer for that price.
Quote by mitchibanez
HNAD!!
Engl amps are amazing, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
Price isn't THAT cheap though, they're about 750-850 new.
I bought my Screamer for that price.

I found it in stores for about 1000€ :/
That's Belgium for ya.
Great amp, congrats
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by Toxc
I only just realised what a gift this amp really is, it's a lot of money. But you only turn 18 once :P
I'll have fun al-right!!
What guitar are you aiming for?

My choice is now on either a Fender Jaguar or a Fender Jazzmaster (not sure yet ), going to test them out at the music store (Gent, I'm going anyway so...), and see which one suits me best
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

That looks like a pretty small amp,considering it 50 watts,all tube.And many people would LOVE for it to distort at low volumes.Definantly get the reverb fixed if you think your gonna use reverb.That way if you end up with a reverb pedal,you have a back-up aswell.But if your not using it,just take it out,save some weight.
HNAD!
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
That looks like a pretty small amp,considering it 50 watts,all tube.And many people would LOVE for it to distort at low volumes.Definantly get the reverb fixed if you think your gonna use reverb.That way if you end up with a reverb pedal,you have a back-up aswell.But if your not using it,just take it out,save some weight.
HNAD!

Won't taking it out interrupt the electrical circuit?

And I'm absolutely loving it! I can better tones out if it than some of the amps that they use for small death/hard/metalcore gigs around here.
Congrats man, that amp is a real gem. I was gonna buy one myself but the price was just out of my range. I'm gunning for an ENGL as my next amp though.

HNAD!
Quote by Toxc
Yeah, but the spring makes a vibrating noise when I resonate my palm mutes at higher volumes.
I'd prefer to get it fixed anyway.
Fair enough, you're probably right. It will definitely be worth it; and may lend you the option of increasing the resale value.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Aug 18, 2009,