When I hit my high E string, whether open or fretted, I can hear a harmonic sound on the A string. I think the harmonic is on the 17th fret if i recall. I've hit the high E and i could put my finger on top of the 17th fret of the A string and it will still vibrate so im assuming this is the harmonic being created. Its really started to annoy me though, anything wrong my guitar?
5th fret on any e string is an A. fretted or unfretted. 17th fret is also A. fretted or unfretted. 17th fret on A string is D. forget all that. all I can say is I have to see it for myself in person. bring it to a professional guitar repair shop. unless is a $100 guitar. when a cheap guitar has problems its not even worth fixing. my only guess is that the pickup cover is vibrating. I have seen that before. on a good guitar, the instrument will resonate a lot. so any time you play A anywhere, its going to make the open A vibrate a little. thats normal. people who play at high gain have ways of muting with their hands or putting wristbands on the neck by the 1 fret.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
sounds like your catching the A string with the underside of your finger when fretting the A thus creaqting the harmonic (improve your technique)

your dedscription isn`t very clear though
It was clear in the first post.

When I hit my high E string, adjacent to the B string, the A string vibrates.

I hear a harmonic created on the A string, without touching it at all.

And I've only picked the high E string, i experimented so its not technique because im not fretting anything or touching anything else. And im clearly only picking the high E, only.
Last edited by supercoolperson at Aug 17, 2009,
It is technique.

If you are not touching ANY other string, and you pick one string, it is natural for other strings to vibrate. That's called resonance. The vibration of the string transfers into the wood of the guitar, and that vibration transfers back to the strings.

When you are picking one string, you have to mute the other strings with either the palm of your picking hand, or the other fingers on your fretting hand.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
It is technique.

If you are not touching ANY other string, and you pick one string, it is natural for other strings to vibrate. That's called resonance. The vibration of the string transfers into the wood of the guitar, and that vibration transfers back to the strings.

When you are picking one string, you have to mute the other strings with either the palm of your picking hand, or the other fingers on your fretting hand.

this. sympathetic resonance.

you need to mute better.

this question comes up all the time. and muting is the answer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok, so why is it that the only harmonic on the 17th fret is ringing? All other strings dont ring though.
Im pretty sure my bridge pickup 81 Emg is vibrating when I play my low E and its quite loose, I can move it back and forth quite significantly. Anyone know how I can tighten that baby up? A message to my inbox would be much appreciated